Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python in web development

Python in web development

Sarbjit singh

Hello All,

I have been using Python as a scripting language for my office tasks. Now Ihave been thinking of using (and learning as well) for web development. For my tasks, I need to perform some tasks and report on the web. Now I have no experience of web development with Python. So, I want to conform first whether Python is best for web development. Python is my personal choice formy automation works and I want to extend it for web development.

REQUIREMENT:
I need to develop a html form which would take user input and perform some operations (generate intermediate files) and report result on web.

>> Some guys in my organization are using Perl for this purpose and thus I could get the setup for free.But I want to learn and use Python as substitute for Perl. (PHP could also be an option. I have worked on PHP once for handling the form data.)

So my questions are:-

1. Can I use Python (I want to use personally ) over PHP/Perl?

2. If Yes, I want to know the modules that I should learn for achieving my requirement. I searched internet and found Python provides CGI, Django etc.

I don't much about Django/CGI, please suggest which module I should learn and use.

Thanks
Sarbjit

becky_lewis

1) Python is absolutely fine for web development. It's just as good, if notbetter than PHP or Perl for this sort of work (that's my opinion anyway).

2) I've used Django quite extensively and it can certainly handle your requirements. You might want to have a look at Flask (http://flask.pocoo.org/) as it's not quite as heavy as Django so would possibly suit your needs a little better.

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:18:00 PM UTC, Sarbjit singh wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> I have been using Python as a scripting language for my office tasks. NowI have been thinking of using (and learning as well) for web development. For my tasks, I need to perform some tasks and report on the web. Now I have no experience of web development with Python. So, I want to conform firstwhether Python is best for web development. Python is my personal choice for my automation works and I want to extend it for web development.
>

> REQUIREMENT:
>
> I need to develop a html form which would take user input and perform some operations (generate intermediate files) and report result on web.
>

> >> Some guys in my organization are using Perl for this purpose and thus I could get the setup for free.But I want to learn and use Python as substitute for Perl. (PHP could also be an option. I have worked on PHP once for handling the form data.)

> So my questions are:-
>

> 1. Can I use Python (I want to use personally ) over PHP/Perl?
>

> 2. If Yes, I want to know the modules that I should learn for achieving my requirement. I searched internet and found Python provides CGI, Django etc.
>

> I don't much about Django/CGI, please suggest which module I should learnand use.
>

> Thanks
>
> Sarbjit

Michael Torrie

On 03/03/2013 07:18 AM, Sarbjit singh wrote:
> 1. Can I use Python (I want to use personally ) over PHP/Perl?

Yes of course.

> 2. If Yes, I want to know the modules that I should learn for
> achieving my requirement. I searched internet and found Python
> provides CGI, Django etc.
>
> I don't much about Django/CGI, please suggest which module I should
> learn and use.

There are literally dozens of frameworks you can use. You could use
straight CGI if you wanted, but I recommend a framework with a decent
templating engine for HTML code generation.

Anyway, a list--not exhaustive--of frameworks can be found here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks

Django is one of the most popular. Web2Py is another. Though they
might seem overkill, it's well worth it to use them and learn them.
They both have good documentation. So start there at their individual
sites.

Michael Herman

If Python is your personal choice, then it's the *best* for you. If
you are literally just going to be processing an HTML form, then CGI
is your best bet. However, if you think this functionally will grow,
then it's worth learning a web framework.

I would go with a micro framework. bottle.py is a perfect starting
point. I am a huge Flask fan, but it's a little higher level. I have
tutorials here for Flask -
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...1ccdGiCTHa1IC8

Also, check out realpythonfortheweb.com for more tutorials.

Good luck!

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 6:18 AM, Sarbjit singh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have been using Python as a scripting language for my office tasks. Now
> I have been thinking of using (and learning as well) for web development.
> For my tasks, I need to perform some tasks and report on the web. Now I have
> no experience of web development with Python. So, I want to conform first
> whether Python is best for web development. Python is my personal choice for
> my automation works and I want to extend it for web development.
>
> REQUIREMENT:
> I need to develop a html form which would take user input and perform some
> operations (generate intermediate files) and report result on web.
>
> >> Some guys in my organization are using Perl for this purpose and thus I
> >> could get the setup for free.But I want to learn and use Python as
> >> substitute for Perl. (PHP could also be an option. I have worked on PHP once
> >> for handling the form data.)

> So my questions are:-
>
> 1. Can I use Python (I want to use personally ) over PHP/Perl?
>
> 2. If Yes, I want to know the modules that I should learn for achieving my
> requirement. I searched internet and found Python provides CGI, Django etc.
>
> I don't much about Django/CGI, please suggest which module I should learn
> and use.
>
> Thanks
> Sarbjit

Roy Smith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sarbjit singh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have been using Python as a scripting language for my office tasks. Now I
> have been thinking of using (and learning as well) for web development. For
> my tasks, I need to perform some tasks and report on the web. Now I have no
> experience of web development with Python. So, I want to conform first
> whether Python is best for web development. Python is my personal choice for
> my automation works and I want to extend it for web development.
>
> REQUIREMENT:
> I need to develop a html form which would take user input and perform some
> operations (generate intermediate files) and report result on web.

It's got a bit of a steep learning curve, but django might be what
you're looking for. I would start with the tutorial:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/intro/tutorial01/

and eventually work your way to class-based views and forms:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1....ews/generic-ed
iting/