Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Fibre broadband

Reply
Thread Tools

Fibre broadband

 
 
Nick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2013
On 04/03/2013 20:45, Roger wrote:

>
> agreed that modem mode would be preferable but if you're not comfortable
> setting up this configuration (and the original poster mentioned he
> wasn't 100% tech savvy) then leaving it in router mode as described will
> work (thats how I had to do it until Virgin introduced modem mode) and
> I'm not sure that the Fritzbox will operate as a router in this config
> as it isnt a cable router its an adsl router.


I think it does work as a cable router, with dhcp which virgin uses
(called ip mode in the manual). If this is used he won't have to worry
about configuring ip addresses.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rwbarrett66@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2013
On Monday, March 4, 2013 10:46:28 PM UTC, Nick wrote:
> On 04/03/2013 20:45, Roger wrote:
>
>
>
> >

>
> > agreed that modem mode would be preferable but if you're not comfortable

>
> > setting up this configuration (and the original poster mentioned he

>
> > wasn't 100% tech savvy) then leaving it in router mode as described will

>
> > work (thats how I had to do it until Virgin introduced modem mode) and

>
> > I'm not sure that the Fritzbox will operate as a router in this config

>
> > as it isnt a cable router its an adsl router.

>
>
>
> I think it does work as a cable router, with dhcp which virgin uses
>
> (called ip mode in the manual). If this is used he won't have to worry
>
> about configuring ip addresses.


Would you believe it - Virgin NNTP servers are now not letting me send a reply and I've had to use google !

Nick
you're right - I didn't follow it to completion as I didn't want to reset my fritzbox settings but if you use the settings wizard (rather than the advanced settings) it gives you the option to set the 7170 up as a router using a cable modem - it uses LAN port 1 as the WAN port and it definitely says mode "router".

Malcolm - in this case you can leave your fritzbox as your wifi and wired router, use the settings wizard to configure it as a cable router and then connect an ethernet cable from LAN port 1 of the fritzbox to LAN port 1 of the superhub.

Set the superhub to modem mode and reboot both and you should then have thefritzbox working as before but on a fast cable connection. Hopefully Viring will have fixed their newsgroup problems by the time you get connected
Roger
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
tony sayer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2013
In article <51352463$0$24652$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) om>, Nick
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>On 04/03/2013 20:45, Roger wrote:
>
>>
>> agreed that modem mode would be preferable but if you're not comfortable
>> setting up this configuration (and the original poster mentioned he
>> wasn't 100% tech savvy) then leaving it in router mode as described will
>> work (thats how I had to do it until Virgin introduced modem mode) and
>> I'm not sure that the Fritzbox will operate as a router in this config
>> as it isnt a cable router its an adsl router.

>
>I think it does work as a cable router, with dhcp which virgin uses
>(called ip mode in the manual). If this is used he won't have to worry
>about configuring ip addresses.


If this is the netgear one just put it into modem mode set a DHCP input
on your router and away you go;!..

FWIW there has been a product recall for the power units with some of
them which you should have had by now if you haven't seems that there
was an overheating issue;!...


--
Tony Sayer

 
Reply With Quote
 
Theo Markettos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2013
tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> FWIW there has been a product recall for the power units with some of
> them which you should have had by now if you haven't seems that there
> was an overheating issue;!...


Those power units are 10V linear PSUs (transformer-inna-box) type that I
think are left over from a modem issued in the NTL/Telewest era. When
modems were replaced, sometimes the original PSU was reused. I don't know
if the Superhub also uses 10V, or a different PSU. It's unlikely to be a
problem for people who are recently new-to-VM customers.

Ah yes, for people who joined pre 2007:
https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-...es/powersupply

(The specific problem is units with a 115degC thermal fuse, which might have
been a bit too high)

Theo
 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2013
On 07 Mar 2013 10:43:35 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> FWIW there has been a product recall for the power units with some of
>> them which you should have had by now if you haven't seems that there
>> was an overheating issue;!...

>
>Those power units are 10V linear PSUs (transformer-inna-box) type that I
>think are left over from a modem issued in the NTL/Telewest era. When
>modems were replaced, sometimes the original PSU was reused. I don't know
>if the Superhub also uses 10V, or a different PSU. It's unlikely to be a
>problem for people who are recently new-to-VM customers.
>
>Ah yes, for people who joined pre 2007:
>https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-...es/powersupply
>
>(The specific problem is units with a 115degC thermal fuse, which might have
>been a bit too high)
>
>Theo



I wonder if they go faulty or they are simply not up to the job.
The replacement is only rated at 1 amp while the suspect ones are
1.2amp which is slightly odd.

The upside-down label is quite common on wall-warts. Far Eastern
manufacturers seem to have the idea that a British socket has the
earth pin at the bottom.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
 
Reply With Quote
 
Woody
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2013
"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 07 Mar 2013 10:43:35 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> FWIW there has been a product recall for the power units with
>>> some of
>>> them which you should have had by now if you haven't seems
>>> that there
>>> was an overheating issue;!...

>>
>>Those power units are 10V linear PSUs (transformer-inna-box)
>>type that I
>>think are left over from a modem issued in the NTL/Telewest
>>era. When
>>modems were replaced, sometimes the original PSU was reused. I
>>don't know
>>if the Superhub also uses 10V, or a different PSU. It's
>>unlikely to be a
>>problem for people who are recently new-to-VM customers.
>>
>>Ah yes, for people who joined pre 2007:
>>https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-...es/powersupply
>>
>>(The specific problem is units with a 115degC thermal fuse,
>>which might have
>>been a bit too high)
>>
>>Theo

>
>
> I wonder if they go faulty or they are simply not up to the
> job.
> The replacement is only rated at 1 amp while the suspect ones
> are
> 1.2amp which is slightly odd.
>


The Superhub is 10V @ 1.5A - and its a rebadged Netgear.


--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switch/Switch problem fibre gigbit ethernet hartmut.albers@gmail.com Cisco 2 09-06-2005 04:59 PM
segmenting a fibre backbone network Mark Scott Cisco 3 02-20-2005 07:56 PM
SC Fibre Problem?? John Smith Cisco 4 09-10-2004 06:51 PM
GBIC module to drive 100Base over fibre Edmunde Lee Cisco 5 04-08-2004 06:25 AM
Fibre Channel switch compatible with Apple OS X benmorris Cisco 4 12-29-2003 09:00 PM



Advertisments