Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Mini-rant on Java REST (JAX-RS), JSON, XML, JAXB etc...

Mini-rant on Java REST (JAX-RS), JSON, XML, JAXB etc...

Arne Vajh°j

On 3/11/2013 8:38 PM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> On 03/11/2013 09:24 PM, Arne Vajh°j wrote:

>>> [ SNIP ]
>>>
>>> Exaggerating a bit, but maybe not as much as you think. I did CGI in
>>> both C and in Perl. C not so much fun, but using something like Lincoln
>>> Stein's CGI.pm, you could generate a lot of maintainable pages quickly -
>>> I'd argue more quickly than with JSF.

>> I used C, Fortran and DCL.
>>
>> Perl was probably a bit more high level.
>>
>>> I'll tell you what I think was another high productivity platform:
>>> ColdFusion, which I used a great deal back in 1999 and 2000.

>> You know that you can run CF in a Java EE container?

> [ SNIP ]
>
> Yeah. We missed that by just a bit. What's ironic - and what turned out
> to be a really bad decision back then - we had this good web app stuff
> working on CF, and for some reason that completely escapes me now,
> someone decided that switching to J2EE 1.2 was a good idea. It was a
> terrible idea - it directly led to the demise of that startup.

If you liked it back then, then you could give it a try today!

There is a free open source implementation available:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/smithos/

Arne

Robert Klemme

On 12.03.2013 01:24, Arne Vajh°j wrote:

> For many business admin apps, then all the bells and whistles are
> just distractions.

I couldn't agree more. Everyday I see many web applications which would
have looked as slick and be as usable without the ton of JS code in the
page. Plus, you could go back and forth and not loose form input from
browser history... *sigh* I guess all the web developers and designers
out there need to make a living as well...

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/