Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Question about disk imaging on WXP

Question about disk imaging on WXP

Donchano

OS: WXPpro SP3

QUESTION: What kind of size should I expect a disk image to be for a
"C" partition of approximately 60GB or which 15GB is free? ("D"
partition is entirely data)

The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d, Donchano says...

> OS: WXPpro SP3
>
> QUESTION: What kind of size should I expect a disk image to be for a
> "C" partition of approximately 60GB or which 15GB is free? ("D"
> partition is entirely data)
>
> The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
> Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.

Dunno, but that's good compression!

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)d, Donchano says...

> OS: WXPpro SP3
>
> QUESTION: What kind of size should I expect a disk image to be for a
> "C" partition of approximately 60GB or which 15GB is free? ("D"
> partition is entirely data)
>
> The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
> Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.

Perhaps you should "mount" the image and check that everything's there
(???).

--
Duncan.

Donchano

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 21:07:24 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
dot nz> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>OS: WXPpro SP3
>>
>>QUESTION: What kind of size should I expect a disk image to be for a
>>"C" partition of approximately 60GB or which 15GB is free? ("D"
>>partition is entirely data)
>>
>>The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
>>Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.

>Most disk imaging software compresses to something like half to two thirds of
>origunal size.
>I seriously doubt that 45GB could compress to 3GB. Are you sure that it is a
>true disk image, I ask because most backup software does not perform a true
>image but only backs up data.
>Tony

Thanks Dave & Tony - You're both right. None of the files were valid.

Recap: I tried backing up a disk image using a paid version of Handy
Backup Pro and, when that didn't work (caused BSOD multiple times) a
paid version of EasyUS Todo Backup (also BSOD). Then I tried a Macrium
Free and that simply froze.

Working my way through different scenarios, I finally tried closing
Handy Backup (otherwise it runs in the background) and running Macrium
again.

BINGO! The backup file was nearly 31GB. The suffix or extension is
*.mrimg and can only be opened using Macrium - mrimg stands for a
Master Compiler Profile file. But I'm hoping that this shouldn't be a
problem as I've made the Macrium boot disk and have a copy on the same
portable USB drive as the disk image.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 21:07:24 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
> dot nz> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>> Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> OS: WXPpro SP3
>>>
>>> QUESTION: What kind of size should I expect a disk image to be for a
>>> "C" partition of approximately 60GB or which 15GB is free? ("D"
>>> partition is entirely data)
>>>
>>> The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
>>> Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.

>> Most disk imaging software compresses to something like half to two
>> thirds of origunal size.
>> I seriously doubt that 45GB could compress to 3GB. Are you sure that
>> it is a true disk image, I ask because most backup software does not
>> perform a true image but only backs up data.
>> Tony

> Thanks Dave & Tony - You're both right. None of the files were valid.
>
> Recap: I tried backing up a disk image using a paid version of Handy
> Backup Pro and, when that didn't work (caused BSOD multiple times) a
> paid version of EasyUS Todo Backup (also BSOD). Then I tried a Macrium
> Free and that simply froze.
>
> Working my way through different scenarios, I finally tried closing
> Handy Backup (otherwise it runs in the background) and running Macrium
> again.
>
> BINGO! The backup file was nearly 31GB. The suffix or extension is
> *.mrimg and can only be opened using Macrium - mrimg stands for a
> Master Compiler Profile file. But I'm hoping that this shouldn't be a
> problem as I've made the Macrium boot disk and have a copy on the same
> portable USB drive as the disk image.

I suggest you look out an old HDD and try restoring your image onto it and
check if it works.

That's what I did when I first started making and archiving full disk (well,
boot partition) images with Acronis True Image. I can take an image and
'restore' it to any disk and have it boot as if it were the original. Sweet!

Oh, TI images seem to be around 60% the size of the original data on disc.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Gordon

On 2013-03-02, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 21:07:24 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
>> dot nz> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>>> Most disk imaging software compresses to something like half to two
>>> thirds of origunal size.
>>> I seriously doubt that 45GB could compress to 3GB. Are you sure that
>>> it is a true disk image, I ask because most backup software does not
>>> perform a true image but only backs up data.
>>> Tony

>> Thanks Dave & Tony - You're both right. None of the files were valid.
>>
>> Recap: I tried backing up a disk image using a paid version of Handy
>> Backup Pro and, when that didn't work (caused BSOD multiple times) a
>> paid version of EasyUS Todo Backup (also BSOD). Then I tried a Macrium
>> Free and that simply froze.
>>
>> Working my way through different scenarios, I finally tried closing
>> Handy Backup (otherwise it runs in the background) and running Macrium
>> again.
>>
>> BINGO! The backup file was nearly 31GB. The suffix or extension is
>> *.mrimg and can only be opened using Macrium - mrimg stands for a
>> Master Compiler Profile file. But I'm hoping that this shouldn't be a
>> problem as I've made the Macrium boot disk and have a copy on the same
>> portable USB drive as the disk image.

> I suggest you look out an old HDD and try restoring your image onto it and
> check if it works.
>
> That's what I did when I first started making and archiving full disk (well,
> boot partition) images with Acronis True Image. I can take an image and
> 'restore' it to any disk and have it boot as if it were the original. Sweet!
>
> Oh, TI images seem to be around 60% the size of the original data on disc.

YES! A backup is worth is only sweet SFA unless it can be restored. Can
yours gentle reader?

Test your lastest backup, at random times. Any failure should have you wide
awake all night.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2013-03-02, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
>>> On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 21:07:24 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot
>>> net dot nz> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>>> Thanks Dave & Tony - You're both right. None of the files were
>>> valid.
>>>
>>> Recap: I tried backing up a disk image using a paid version of Handy
>>> Backup Pro and, when that didn't work (caused BSOD multiple times) a
>>> paid version of EasyUS Todo Backup (also BSOD). Then I tried a
>>> Macrium Free and that simply froze.
>>>
>>> Working my way through different scenarios, I finally tried closing
>>> Handy Backup (otherwise it runs in the background) and running
>>> Macrium again.
>>>
>>> BINGO! The backup file was nearly 31GB. The suffix or extension is
>>> *.mrimg and can only be opened using Macrium - mrimg stands for a
>>> Master Compiler Profile file. But I'm hoping that this shouldn't be
>>> a problem as I've made the Macrium boot disk and have a copy on the
>>> same portable USB drive as the disk image.

>> I suggest you look out an old HDD and try restoring your image onto
>> it and check if it works.
>>
>> That's what I did when I first started making and archiving full
>> disk (well, boot partition) images with Acronis True Image. I can
>> take an image and 'restore' it to any disk and have it boot as if it
>> were the original. Sweet!
>>
>> Oh, TI images seem to be around 60% the size of the original data on
>> disc.

> YES! A backup is worth is only sweet SFA unless it can be restored.
> Can yours gentle reader?
>
> Test your lastest backup, at random times. Any failure should have
> you wide awake all night.

I couldn't agree more. I test mine often. As I tend to patition a HDD with a
genrous amount for the OS and programmes, then the rest for data I almost
always have an old HDD kicking around (for when upgrades have been done)
that is big enough so that the backed-up OS partition will fit.

It's only the work of a few minutes to swap the drives around, carefully put
the good one safe and restore your backup to the spare drive. (I boot TI
from a CD and have the image on a USB external. Note, if you're going to use
a USB stick [if your partition backup is small enough] be sure to set your
software to slice the backup into bits that FAT32 wil allow. TI defaults to
2GB.) As you say, if the backup doesn't work then there's no point blindly
going on making more of them.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Dave Taylor

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> YES! A backup is worth is only sweet SFA unless it can be restored.
> Can yours gentle reader?
>
> Test your lastest backup, at random times. Any failure should have you
> wide awake all night.

Millions of dollars down the hole...
ftp://ftp.ca.com/caproducts/download...32/readme_Engl
ish.html#published_fixes

--
Ciao, Dave