Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo manipulation, "HDR" primarily, is all the rage...

Photo manipulation, "HDR" primarily, is all the rage...

RichA

The "Velina" "Storm" and "Stands Out" photos on this forum (at the
point I looked at it anyway) are all manipulated. Realism is dead...

http://photo.net/photo-of-the-week-discussion-forum/

Mayayana

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| The "Velina" "Storm" and "Stands Out" photos on this forum (at the
| point I looked at it anyway) are all manipulated. Realism is dead...
|
| http://photo.net/photo-of-the-week-discussion-forum/

Interesting isn't it, how data devalues itself? Before
photography, painting usually aimed for realism. With
photography, painting became "self expression", as accuracy
in painting was no longer relevant.

Before ubiquitous data we craved *accurate* data. Now,
data overflows while significance is hard to find.

People lie on their Facebook pages and call it self expression.
Their own relationships and lives begin to become marketing,
blending with the real marketing that masquerades as
relationship through scam "likes".

The message is the medium. So what's signified in such
expression? Fantasies of freedom, titillation and choice.
When people never really leave the world of vaguely defined
private fantasy there's nothing to communicate. The
"enchanted forest" photo is offered as a sort of emotional-
masturbation aid.

MC

RichA wrote:

> The "Velina" "Storm" and "Stands Out" photos on this forum (at the
> point I looked at it anyway) are all manipulated. Realism is dead...
>
> http://photo.net/photo-of-the-week-discussion-forum/

I have not got a problem with HDR or any kind of manipulation being
used to enhance what a photographer sees. What I do have a problem
with is HDR and manipulation being "overused" to TRY and make a
photograph look better that it ever was going to be. Photographers
using HDR as a toy and/or as a "miracle" tool to try and make their
crap look better by trying to make it look different, is what is all
the rage.

MC

Mayayana

| > Interesting isn't it, how data devalues itself? Before
| >photography, painting usually aimed for realism. With
| >photography, painting became "self expression", as accuracy
| >in painting was no longer relevant.
|
| The timeline is correct, but it might be extremely
| difficult to validate the correlation suggested.
| Realism in painting started to go out of style well
| prior to 1900, but "realism" in photography did not
| become significant until at least the 1930's.

I guess that's true. I'm not very clear about the
specific timeline -- nor am I an art expert -- but I
can think of things like Impressionism and the Hudson
River School, and of course Van Gogh, that were not
aiming for realism. Perhaps it would be more precise
to say that while photography largely eliminated the
need for some kinds of realism, such as portrait painting,
our view of "real" also changed -- from monotheism and
absolute truths to a recognition of, then celebration
of, and finally a fetishistic obsession with, the
sophistication and seeming freedom of the relativism
that comes with multi-paradigmatic perception.

When RichA posted this it reminded me of something
I'd seen recently, where someone was characterizing
untruths in Facebook profiles as self-expression: Truth
and meaning as a matter of personal choice in "post-
modern" consumer society.

| The two changes, one to painting and one to photography,
| are probably not related in any significant degree. In
| essense, I don't think Van Gogh or Pablo Picasso either
| one was concerned about what photography was compared to
| what they painted.

Robert Coe

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 15:51:17 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: The "Velina" "Storm" and "Stands Out" photos on this forum (at the
: point I looked at it anyway) are all manipulated. Realism is dead...
:
: http://photo.net/photo-of-the-week-discussion-forum/

And when, exactly, did "Realism" breathe its last? It must have been before
the invention of dodge masks or specialty printing papers or tweaking the
developer temperature or manipulating the reversal exposure or Polaroid
filters or flashbulbs or special emulsions, etc., etc., etc.

And as for the pompous pronouncements in that forum, give me good,
old-fashioned Shoot-In comments any day. ;^)

Bob

RichA

On Mar 1, 3:15*am, Neil Ellwood <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 15:51:17 -0800, RichA wrote:
> > The "Velina" "Storm" and "Stands Out" photos on this forum (at the point
> > I looked at it anyway) are all manipulated. *Realism is dead...

> >http://photo.net/photo-of-the-week-discussion-forum/

> Think about it Rich. Realism doesn't happen in normal photography because
> the subjects are normally 3D and most photos are 2D. Even the act of
> taking a photo is manipulation.

Ideally, if the photographer is any good, a sense of 3-dimensionality
is maintained. A 3D scene rendered flat is a failure.

RichA

On Mar 1, 4:00*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 15:51:17 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : The "Velina" "Storm" and "Stands Out" photos on this forum (at the
> : point I looked at it anyway) are all manipulated. *Realism is dead...
> :
> :http://photo.net/photo-of-the-week-discussion-forum/
>
> And when, exactly, did "Realism" breathe its last? It must have been before
> the invention of dodge masks or specialty printing papers or tweaking the
> developer temperature or manipulating the reversal exposure or Polaroid
> filters or flashbulbs or special emulsions, etc., etc., etc.
>
> And as for the pompous pronouncements in that forum, give me good,
> old-fashioned Shoot-In comments any day. *;^)
>
> Bob

You do realize that all those things you mentioned were originally
designed to create a sense of realism, right? The Zone System was not
invented (nor burning nor dodging) to make images other-worldly and I
can say that because I know who invented them and how they shot.
Think the "F-64" group wasn't after realism?

Robert Coe

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 15:21:52 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Mar 1, 4:00*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 15:51:17 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >
: > : The "Velina" "Storm" and "Stands Out" photos on this forum (at the
: > : point I looked at it anyway) are all manipulated. *Realism is dead...
: > :
[...]

Perhaps what they were after might be more accurately chatacterized as
"idealism".

Bob

PeterN

On 3/1/2013 8:02 AM, MC wrote:
> RichA wrote:
>
>> The "Velina" "Storm" and "Stands Out" photos on this forum (at the
>> point I looked at it anyway) are all manipulated. Realism is dead...
>>
>> http://photo.net/photo-of-the-week-discussion-forum/

> I have not got a problem with HDR or any kind of manipulation being
> used to enhance what a photographer sees. What I do have a problem
> with is HDR and manipulation being "overused" to TRY and make a
> photograph look better that it ever was going to be. Photographers
> using HDR as a toy and/or as a "miracle" tool to try and make their
> crap look better by trying to make it look different, is what is all
> the rage.

But sometimes manipulation is helpful to create an impression of the
subject:

<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/swooper.jpg>
and
<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/devilish%20baboon.jpg>