Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Beware crooked, large American camera stores

Beware crooked, large American camera stores

Mort

PeterN wrote:
> On 2/27/2013 12:17 PM, RichA wrote:
>> I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
>> into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
>> clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
>> Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
>> to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
>> only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
>> IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
>> artificially low prices. B&H and Adorama both have these charges.
>>

> Yawn!.
> IIRC This is not the first time you have bitched about this,
> specifically naming B&H and Adorama. Compare the price with Amazon, or
> any other vendor. I wonder why you name only those two highly reliable
> and respectable stores, without naming others.
> Since you are on a mission, tell us who you deal with for lower prices.
> How about Henry's?

Hi,

He is getting what he wants, namely attention. Replying to his silly
rants feeds his fire, so perhaps the best way to deal with him is very
simple: just ignore him.

Mort Linder

PeterN

On 3/3/2013 5:00 PM, Mort wrote:
> PeterN wrote:
>> On 2/27/2013 12:17 PM, RichA wrote:
>>> I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
>>> into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
>>> clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
>>> Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
>>> to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
>>> only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
>>> IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
>>> artificially low prices. B&H and Adorama both have these charges.
>>>

>> Yawn!.
>> IIRC This is not the first time you have bitched about this,
>> specifically naming B&H and Adorama. Compare the price with Amazon, or
>> any other vendor. I wonder why you name only those two highly reliable
>> and respectable stores, without naming others.
>> Since you are on a mission, tell us who you deal with for lower prices.
>> How about Henry's?
>>

> Hi,
>
> He is getting what he wants, namely attention. Replying to his silly
> rants feeds his fire, so perhaps the best way to deal with him is very
> simple: just ignore him.
>
> Mort Linder

That may be true, but I do not tolerate prejudicial conduct. there are
many lurkers here, some of whom may believe his crap.

--
PeterN

J. Clarke

In article <kgnb1n$ohd$(E-Mail Removed)>, philo@privcy.not says...

> On 02/27/2013 01:26 PM, RichA wrote:

> >> Rest your neck Rich!
> >> This is one of your chronic rants. You write as if this is news to you,
> >> and you only just discovered how B&H ship to Canada and deal with
> >> Canadian customs clearing, by including those fees in the shipping
> >> charges.
> >> I am sure that B&H and Adorama make their entire profit on sales to
> >> unwitting Canadian customers.
> >>
> >> So my suggestion is don't buy anything from them. Keep your Canadian$$$
> >> North of the border, patronize Canadian vendors and just bitch about
> >> their prices and Canadian taxes.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Savageduck

> > Adorama sells on Ebay and won't ship to Canada from there. Know
> > why? Because Ebay doesn't allow SCAM shipping charges.
> > I ended up getting it from another AMERICAN seller who didn't charge
> > ANY fake brokerage fees.
> >

> I don't know about that.
>
> I see plenty of things on eBay with *outrageous* shipping fees.
>
> If people are willing to pay it, I guess they will get away with it...
> but I think most people do the sensible thing and shop elsewhere.

Shipping can be surprisingly expensive for a small seller. A 6x6x6 inch
box costs 75 cents at the local box factory--you can buy them online
cheaper but when you add in the shipping they end up costing the same or
more. Add in some bubble wrap (15 cents a square foot) and peanuts
($1/cubic ft) and you're around a buck for packing materials on even a
small box. Now, take something that has to be double-boxed with each
box being composed of two or three regular boxes and it can add up
pretty fast. There is the option of using USPS free priority mail boxes
but that only works if priority mail is an attractive way to ship the
particular item, and the Postal Service has the rates so screwed up that
there's no way to tell until the thing is boxed and weighed.

J. Clarke

In article <2f8c9672-0b21-4640-929a-c0bcec519688
@d11g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> On Feb 27, 11:04*pm, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:18:30 -0800, Savageduck
> >

> > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> > >Apparently you do not read. Either that or you do not comprehend the
> > >options offered by B&H. They offer several UPS/FedEx shipping options
> > >which DO NOT include VAT, or brokerage fees. Then they offer an option
> > >for shipment via Purolator Freight which includes a brokerage fee and
> > >application of Canadian VAT. In the example posted by Alan the
> > >unavoidable Canadian VAT is applied along with a reasonable, and
> > >non-punitive brokerage and security fee, which would probably be less
> > >than the cost of gas and time to drive to and from a customs clearing
> > >house/bond warehouse to pay that VAT and retrieve your item.

> > >Note: Purolator Freight is not UPS, FedEx, or B&H.
> > ><http://www.purolatorfreight.com/>

> > My 1931 Minerva had a Purolator oil cleaning system added to it. What
> > a transformation!
> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Eric Stevens

> Hopefully, Purolator products are better than FRAM, a formerly great
> company who sold its soul to the devil (shifted production to China
> and cut quality) in order to get into Walmart's demanded price-point.

You really need to take that up with Canada Post.