Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Beware crooked, large American camera stores

Beware crooked, large American camera stores

RichA

On Feb 27, 5:58*pm, Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On 2013.02.27 12:17 , RichA wrote:
>
> > I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
> > into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs

> RichA is full of **** as usual.
>
> When you checkout you are offered the option to let B&H do the
> processing, or to handle customs yourself (eg: UPS, FedEx, etc. broker).
>
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHScreenshot.jpg
>
> To avoid high fees (esp. UPS) you "self broker".

Sigh. UPS does not CHARGE brokerage fees on any SERVICE above GROUND
SHIPMENT. If you are stupid enough to go with ground shipment cross
border, you will pay a brokerage fee of anywhere from $20 to about
$60. With services above this, all you pay is the SHIPPING FEE as
stated. Which is why the services above it most often make more sense
(economically) to use.
The customs clearance fees being charged by places like B&H and
Adorama are "creations" on their part designed to shore-up profits.

RichA

On Feb 27, 9:18*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2013-02-27 18:01:11 -0800, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

> > On Feb 27, 5:58*pm, Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> >> RichA is full of **** as usual.

> >> When you checkout you are offered the option to let B&H do the
> >> processing, or to handle customs yourself (eg: UPS, FedEx, etc. broker).

> >>https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHScreenshot.jpg

> >> To avoid high fees (esp. UPS) you "self broker".

> > Sigh. *UPS does not CHARGE brokerage fees on any SERVICE above GROUND
> > SHIPMENT. *If you are stupid enough to go with ground shipment cross
> > border, you will pay a brokerage fee of anywhere from $20 to about
> > $60. *With services above this, all you pay is the SHIPPING FEE as
> > stated. *Which is why the services above it most often make more sense
> > (economically) to use.
> > The customs clearance fees being charged by places like B&H and
> > Adorama are "creations" on their part designed to shore-up profits.

> Apparently you do not read. Either that or you do not comprehend the
> options offered by B&H. They offer several UPS/FedEx shipping options
> which DO NOT include VAT, or brokerage fees. Then they offer an option
> for shipment via Purolator Freight which includes a brokerage fee and
> application of Canadian VAT. In the example posted by Alan the
> unavoidable Canadian VAT is applied along with a reasonable, and
> non-punitive brokerage and security fee, which would probably be less
> than the cost of gas and time to drive to and from a customs clearing
> house/bond warehouse to pay that VAT and retrieve your item.
>
> Note: Purolator Freight is not UPS, FedEx, or B&H.
> <http://www.purolatorfreight.com/>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

An example of bringing a camera over the border.

B&H/Adorama

Cost: $340
Shipping (Fedex/UPS): $34.00
CUSTOMS CLEARANCE: $50-$70
Exchange rate: zero today
Canadian tax in Ontario $44.00
Total landed cost: $478.00

If you go Fedex or UPS ground any difference is a wash because
although the shipping is a little lower, you get hit with THEIR
brokerage fee in addition.

Competition:
Cost: $380.00
Shipping (USPS Express): $41.00
Post office processing: $5.00
Canadian tax in Ontario: $49.53
Total Landed Cost: $475.53

Usenet Account

On 27/02/2013 6:05 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2013.02.27 12:17 , RichA wrote:
>> I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
>> into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
>> clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
>> Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
>> to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
>> only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
>> IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
>> artificially low prices. B&H and Adorama both have these charges.

> My first post:
>
> RichA is full of **** as usual.
>
> When you checkout you are offered the option to let B&H do the
> processing, or to handle customs yourself (eg: UPS, FedEx, etc. broker).
>
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHScreenshot.jpg
>
> To avoid high fees (esp. UPS) you "self broker".
>

> This post
>
> BUT What really makes RichA look esp. STUPID and a total IDIOT is the
> next screenshot:
>
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHSS-2.jpg
>
> In other words, most of the "Duty" charges are GST that you LEGALLY HAVE
> TO PAY NO MATTER HOW YOU LAND THE ITEM!
>
> The rest, brokerage, disbursement, security and handling amounts to a
> few dollars or about 16% of the brokerage charge and all in all a measly
> 0.8% of the item+shipping (for the case I tried).
>
> RichA: biggest horse's patootie on the internet. And that's an, er,
> achievement.

Yes he opted for B&H to supply a Customs Broker, a bitchs that the
service has a fee.

--
This space intentionally left blank.

RichA

On Feb 27, 9:54*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:05:31 -0500, Alan Browne
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On 2013.02.27 12:17 , RichA wrote:
> >> I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
> >> into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
> >> clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
> >> Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
> >> to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
> >> only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
> >> IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
> >> artificially low prices. *B&H and Adorama both have these charges.

> >My first post:

> >RichA is full of **** as usual.

> >When you checkout you are offered the option to let B&H do the
> >processing, or to handle customs yourself (eg: UPS, FedEx, etc. broker).

> >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHScreenshot.jpg

> >To avoid high fees (esp. UPS) you "self broker".

> >This post

> >BUT What really makes RichA look esp. STUPID and a total IDIOT is the
> >next screenshot:

> >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHSS-2.jpg

> >In other words, most of the "Duty" charges are GST that you LEGALLY HAVE
> >TO PAY NO MATTER HOW YOU LAND THE ITEM!

> >The rest, brokerage, disbursement, security and handling amounts to a
> >few dollars or about 16% of the brokerage charge and all in all a measly
> >0.8% of the item+shipping (for the case I tried).

> >RichA: biggest horse's patootie on the internet. *And that's an, er,
> >achievement.

> Funny everyone's talking about shipping from USA to CANADA these days... I just
> imported two shipments. One was replacement speakers from a company in Florida,
> I of course shipped by US post ground. (spks is HEAVY!) *The package came by
> mail, the extra bill was about $32, which was PST and GST taxes - NO DUTYor
> other fees! *ZERO!

There hasn't been duty on most consumer goods coming in from the U.S.
to Canada in YEARS.
In 1978, you'd pay FST tax which was about 11% and then 12% duty.
Today, you just pay 13% GST tax, or whatever your provincial tax is.

RichA

On Feb 27, 9:49*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2013-02-27 18:29:08 -0800, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> > ).

> >> Apparently you do not read. Either that or you do not comprehend the
> >> options offered by B&H. They offer several UPS/FedEx shipping options
> >> which DO NOT include VAT, or brokerage fees. Then they offer an option
> >> for shipment via Purolator Freight which includes a brokerage fee and
> >> application of Canadian VAT. In the example posted by Alan the
> >> unavoidable Canadian VAT is applied along with a reasonable, and
> >> non-punitive brokerage and security fee, which would probably be less
> >> than the cost of gas and time to drive to and from a customs clearing
> >> house/bond warehouse to pay that VAT and retrieve your item.

> >> Note: Purolator Freight is not UPS, FedEx, or B&H.
> >> <http://www.purolatorfreight.com/>

> >> --
> >> Regards,

> >> Savageduck

> > An example of bringing a camera over the border.

> > B&H/Adorama

> > Cost: *$340
> > Shipping (Fedex/UPS): *$34.00
> > CUSTOMS CLEARANCE: *$50-$70
> > Exchange rate: *zero today
> > Canadian tax in Ontario *$44.00
> > Total landed cost: *$478.00

> However you are misstating the breakdown, as in the example Alan posted
> the Canadian GST is INCLUDED in that total customs clearance fee.
> <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHSS-2.jpg>
>
> Why not show us where B&H quoted you adding the Canadian tax in
> addition to the Purolator Freight brokerage fee, rather than your
> contrived break down.
>
> > If you go Fedex or UPS ground any difference is a wash because
> > although the shipping is a little lower, you get hit with THEIR
> > brokerage fee in addition.

> > Competition:
> > Cost: *$380.00
> > Shipping (USPS Express): $41.00
> > Post office processing: *$5.00
> > Canadian tax in Ontario: $49.53
> > Total Landed Cost: *$475.53

> ...and therein lies the beauty of the market place. There is nothing
> stopping you from giving your business to the vendor of your choice.
> That said, I suggest you take a closer look at the reality of the
> various charges before you fabricate numbers to justify your bitch. A
> closer look at real world figures suggest you paid some $40-$44 more
> than you would have ordering from "those people" in NYC.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Hijacking subject lines is a pansy-assed thing to do.

RichA

On Feb 27, 10:03*pm, Usenet Account <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 27/02/2013 6:05 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>

> > On 2013.02.27 12:17 , RichA wrote:
> >> I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
> >> into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
> >> clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
> >> Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
> >> to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
> >> only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
> >> IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
> >> artificially low prices. *B&H and Adorama both have these charges.

> > My first post:

> > RichA is full of **** as usual.

> > When you checkout you are offered the option to let B&H do the
> > processing, or to handle customs yourself (eg: UPS, FedEx, etc. broker)..

> >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHScreenshot.jpg

> > To avoid high fees (esp. UPS) you "self broker".

> > This post

> > BUT What really makes RichA look esp. STUPID and a total IDIOT is the
> > next screenshot:

> >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHSS-2.jpg

> > In other words, most of the "Duty" charges are GST that you LEGALLY HAVE
> > TO PAY NO MATTER HOW YOU LAND THE ITEM!

> > The rest, brokerage, disbursement, security and handling amounts to a
> > few dollars or about 16% of the brokerage charge and all in all a measly
> > 0.8% of the item+shipping (for the case I tried).

> > RichA: biggest horse's patootie on the internet. *And that's an, er,
> > achievement.

> Yes he opted for B&H to supply a Customs Broker, a bitchs that the
> service has a fee.
>
> --
> This space intentionally left blank.

Are you stupid enough to believe custom's processing cost is $50-$70?
What planet are you from? It's a tacked-on, for-profit FEE used by
them in-place of an HONEST retail price.

RichA

On Feb 27, 11:04*pm, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:18:30 -0800, Savageduck
>

> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> >On 2013-02-27 18:01:11 -0800, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> >> Sigh. *UPS does not CHARGE brokerage fees on any SERVICE above GROUND
> >> SHIPMENT. *If you are stupid enough to go with ground shipment cross
> >> border, you will pay a brokerage fee of anywhere from $20 to about
> >> $60. *With services above this, all you pay is the SHIPPING FEE as
> >> stated. *Which is why the services above it most often make more sense
> >> (economically) to use.
> >> The customs clearance fees being charged by places like B&H and
> >> Adorama are "creations" on their part designed to shore-up profits.

> >Apparently you do not read. Either that or you do not comprehend the
> >options offered by B&H. They offer several UPS/FedEx shipping options
> >which DO NOT include VAT, or brokerage fees. Then they offer an option
> >for shipment via Purolator Freight which includes a brokerage fee and
> >application of Canadian VAT. In the example posted by Alan the
> >unavoidable Canadian VAT is applied along with a reasonable, and
> >non-punitive brokerage and security fee, which would probably be less
> >than the cost of gas and time to drive to and from a customs clearing
> >house/bond warehouse to pay that VAT and retrieve your item.

> >Note: Purolator Freight is not UPS, FedEx, or B&H.
> ><http://www.purolatorfreight.com/>

> My 1931 Minerva had a Purolator oil cleaning system added to it. What
> a transformation!
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

Hopefully, Purolator products are better than FRAM, a formerly great
company who sold its soul to the devil (shifted production to China
and cut quality) in order to get into Walmart's demanded price-point.

osterhelen@gmail.com

> Nothing to do with the FACT Ebay caught on to the scams some sellers
>
> were pulling (charging huge shipping charges are low sale prices, in
>
> order to avoid Ebay selling fees) which they clamped down on by
>
> recently levying fees on shipping charges as well.

No. To protect our hard-won reputation

philo

On 02/27/2013 01:26 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Feb 27, 1:32 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> On 2013-02-27 09:17:37 -0800, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
>>> into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
>>> clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
>>> Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
>>> to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
>>> only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
>>> IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
>>> artificially low prices. B&H and Adorama both have these charges.

>> Rest your neck Rich!
>> This is one of your chronic rants. You write as if this is news to you,
>> and you only just discovered how B&H ship to Canada and deal with
>> Canadian customs clearing, by including those fees in the shipping
>> charges.
>> I am sure that B&H and Adorama make their entire profit on sales to
>> unwitting Canadian customers.
>>
>> So my suggestion is don't buy anything from them. Keep your Canadian$$$
>> North of the border, patronize Canadian vendors and just bitch about
>> their prices and Canadian taxes.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck

> Adorama sells on Ebay and won't ship to Canada from there. Know
> why? Because Ebay doesn't allow SCAM shipping charges.
> I ended up getting it from another AMERICAN seller who didn't charge
> ANY fake brokerage fees.

I don't know about that.

I see plenty of things on eBay with *outrageous* shipping fees.

If people are willing to pay it, I guess they will get away with it...
but I think most people do the sensible thing and shop elsewhere.

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686

Rob

On 28/02/2013 3:04 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> My 1931 Minerva had a Purolator oil cleaning system added to it. What
> a transformation!
> -- Regards, Eric Stevens

Eric that must make you very old but then again they never let new
cars into NZ for quite a few years. I remember in about 1970 they were
still running around in 1930 cars.