Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: python 3 problem: how to convert an extension method into a classMethod

Re: python 3 problem: how to convert an extension method into a classMethod

Robin Becker

On 26/02/2013 18:38, Peter Otten wrote:
> Robin Becker wrote:

............3:

> $ python -m timeit -s 'from new import instancemethod
>> from math import sqrt
>> class A(int): pass
>> A.m = instancemethod(sqrt, None, A)
>> a = A(42)
>> ' 'a.m()'

> 1000000 loops, best of 3: 0.5 usec per loop
> $ python -m timeit -s 'from math import sqrt
>> class A(int):
>> def m(self):
>> return sqrt(self)
>> a = A(42)
>> ' 'a.m()'

> 1000000 loops, best of 3: 0.473 usec per loop

this analysis might be relevant if I wanted to use sqrt. However, in my case the
method takes

py C
utf8 bytes 50 20 usec
unicode 39 15

here py refers to a native python method and C to the extension method after
adding to the class. Both are called via an instance of the class.
--
Robin Becker