Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: python 3 problem: how to convert an extension method into a classMethod

Re: python 3 problem: how to convert an extension method into a classMethod

Ethan Furman

On 02/26/2013 09:21 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
> In python 2 I was able to improve speed of reportlab using a C extension to optimize some heavily used methods.
>
> so I was able to do this
>

> class A:
> def method(self,...):
>

> try:
> from extension import c_method
> import new
> A.method = new.instancemethod(c_method,None,A)
> except:
> pass
>
> and if the try succeeds our method is bound as a class method ie is unbound and works fine when I call it.
>
> In python 3 this doesn't seem to work at all. In fact the new module is gone. The types.MethodType stuff doesn't seem to
> work.
>
> Is there a way in Python 3.3 to make this happen? This particular method is short, but is called many times so adding
> python wrapping layers is not a good way forward.

Dumb question, but have you tried just assigning it? In Py3 methods are just normal functions...

class A():
pass

A.method = c_method

--