Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Detecting (some? most?) undefined behavior

Detecting (some? most?) undefined behavior

Noob

Hello everyone,

I've just stumbled upon this compiler project from UIUC (by way of
another post which, for some reason, I cannot find at the moment).

One of the main aims of this work is the ability to detect
undefined programs.

I thought some of you may be interested (as I was).

https://code.google.com/p/c-semantics/

Regards.

Shao Miller

On 2/26/2013 05:11, Noob wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've just stumbled upon this compiler project from UIUC (by way of
> another post which, for some reason, I cannot find at the moment).
>
> One of the main aims of this work is the ability to detect
> undefined programs.
>
> I thought some of you may be interested (as I was).
>
> https://code.google.com/p/c-semantics/

Pretty cool. If only it was written in C, its source might be a bit
more grokkable.

--
- Shao Miller

Cheerily," -- Richard Harter

Kenny McCormack

In article <kgif7m$eno$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Shao Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 2/26/2013 05:11, Noob wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I've just stumbled upon this compiler project from UIUC (by way of
>> another post which, for some reason, I cannot find at the moment).
>>
>> One of the main aims of this work is the ability to detect
>> undefined programs.
>>
>> I thought some of you may be interested (as I was).
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/c-semantics/
>>

>Pretty cool. If only it was written in C, its source might be a bit
>more grokkable.

What is it written in?

by the wise as foolish,
and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Shao Miller

On 2/26/2013 10:37, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article <kgif7m$eno$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Shao Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2/26/2013 05:11, Noob wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I've just stumbled upon this compiler project from UIUC (by way of
>>> another post which, for some reason, I cannot find at the moment).
>>>
>>> One of the main aims of this work is the ability to detect
>>> undefined programs.
>>>
>>> I thought some of you may be interested (as I was).
>>>
>>> https://code.google.com/p/c-semantics/
>>>

>> Pretty cool. If only it was written in C, its source might be a bit
>> more grokkable.

> What is it written in?

It's called "K", I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_%28pr...ng_language%29

--
- Shao Miller

Cheerily," -- Richard Harter

Shao Miller

On 2/26/2013 10:41, Shao Miller wrote:
> On 2/26/2013 10:37, Kenny McCormack wrote:
>> In article <kgif7m$eno$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Shao Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Pretty cool. If only it was written in C, its source might be a bit
>>> more grokkable.

>> What is it written in?
>>

> It's called "K", I believe.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_%28pr...ng_language%29

Or maybe not. This seems more relevant:

http://k-framework.org/index.php/Main_Page

--
- Shao Miller

Cheerily," -- Richard Harter

Noob

Shao Miller wrote:

> This seems more relevant:
>
> http://k-framework.org/index.php/Main_Page

Right. According to the project's own description:

"[c-semantics] is a formal semantics of the C programming language,
written in the K Semantic Framework."

which points to https://code.google.com/p/k-framework/
which points to http://k-framework.org/

Regards.

Ian Collins

Shao Miller wrote:
> On 2/26/2013 05:11, Noob wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I've just stumbled upon this compiler project from UIUC (by way of
>> another post which, for some reason, I cannot find at the moment).
>>
>> One of the main aims of this work is the ability to detect
>> undefined programs.
>>
>> I thought some of you may be interested (as I was).
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/c-semantics/
>>

> Pretty cool. If only it was written in C, its source might be a bit
> more grokkable.

Maybe they were worried about introducing undefined behaviour.....

--
Ian Collins

Nick Keighley

On Feb 26, 2:02*pm, Shao Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2/26/2013 05:11, Noob wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,

> > I've just stumbled upon this compiler project from UIUC (by way of
> > another post which, for some reason, I cannot find at the moment).

> > * *One of the main aims of this work is the ability to detect
> > * *undefined programs.

> > I thought some of you may be interested (as I was).

> > * *https://code.google.com/p/c-semantics/

> Pretty cool. *If only it was written in C, its source might be a bit
> more grokkable.

it didn't look very do-able in C. C isn't the only or even the most
expressive language there is!

Nick Keighley

On Feb 26, 3:41*pm, Shao Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2/26/2013 10:37, Kenny McCormack wrote:
>

> > In article <kgif7m$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Shao Miller *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Pretty cool. *If only it was written in C, its source might be a bit
> >> more grokkable.

> > What is it written in?

> It's called "K", I believe.
>
> * *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_%28pr...ng_language%29

yuk. proprietary language

Nick Keighley

On Feb 26, 3:44*pm, Shao Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2/26/2013 10:41, Shao Miller wrote:
>

> > On 2/26/2013 10:37, Kenny McCormack wrote:

> >> What is it written in?

> > It's called "K", I believe.

> > * *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_%28pr...ng_language%29

> Or maybe not. *This seems more relevant:
>
> * *http://k-framework.org/index.php/Main_Page

ah that makes more sense (should learn not to fire off posts without
reading the rest of the thread) I couldn't see how an array language
with APL like semantics and used for writing databases was much cop at
defining the semantics of C