Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > WinXP turns off..

WinXP turns off..

Robert Baer

Paul wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
>>>
>>> "Safe Mode - Enable boot logging
>>>
>>> This option turns on logging when the computer is started
>>> with any of the Safe Boot options except Last Known Good Configuration.
>>>
>>> The Boot Logging text is recorded in the Ntbtlog.txt file in the
>>> %SystemRoot% folder."
>>>
>>> You press F8 at startup, to get into Safe Mode.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Paul

>> Only "Safe Mode" and "Boot logging" puts info into that .TXT file;
>> "Safe Mode" does not write much and only a few items are not loaded.
>> However.........."Boot Logging" writes about ten times as much and
>> most of it is "not loaded" junk with a LOT of duplicate entries.
>> Will wipe the drive and start over, as there is no clue as to the
>> cause of the problem.
>>

> You're supposed to tell me, what the last item in Ntbtlog.txt is
>
> And it's not the last item that is the failing one. It's the one
> after it, which died before a log entry could be written.
>
> Using the last entry, you Google that, then look for hints as to
> what might have come after it.
>
> Paul

Too late now..Have it re-loaded via the R / repair option offered
during first part of install procedure.
That option _looks_ like one is starting from scratch, even the
product serial # is required. But all programs and data are retained (nice).
Now when have the time i will have to power it up with an internet
connection, update Avast! and do a full scan of the computer.