Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: FYI: AI-programmer

Re: FYI: AI-programmer

Robin Becker

On 22/02/2013 19:21, Ian Kelly wrote:

> Indeed, it seems to me that this is basically Richard Dawkins' weasel
> program, with the addition of a transformation step in the fitness
> function that amounts to running the string through a Brain****
> interpreter. There is a rather large gap between this and getting
> computers to generate programs that do anything interesting.

this has been done before over and over

eg

http://www.ooblick.com/software/evolve/
http://hampshire.edu/lspector/push.html

I think if the OP could get his brainf*ck algorithm to produce a self printing
program in brainf*ck that would be quite amusing, but for real advances I
suggest he makes it generate itself. His fitness is fairly silly since it has no
idea of fitness except success; minimizing the cpu/memory/program length etc etc
are all additional measures that could be added/used.
--
Robin Becker