Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D90 questions

D90 questions

Ron

Just ordered a used D90 and have a few questions.

1. How do I know if the previous owner took an image dust-off photo?
2. Do you need Capture NX2 to use the image dust-off photo?
3. What's the best way to check to see if everything's working OK?

_____________________________
Ron, the humblest guy in town

me

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:24:05 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d (Ron)
wrote:

>Just ordered a used D90 and have a few questions.
>
>1. How do I know if the previous owner took an image dust-off photo?

Not to my knowledge and I fail to see why this has any meaning to you.

>2. Do you need Capture NX2 to use the image dust-off photo?

You need some version of Capture which supports the D90 raw images.

>3. What's the best way to check to see if everything's working OK?

Use the camera as you intend to? If you don't intend to use a feature
which might have an issue, is this really important to you?

Ron

me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:24:05 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)d (Ron)
> wrote:
>
> >Just ordered a used D90 and have a few questions.
> >
> >1. How do I know if the previous owner took an image dust-off photo?

> Not to my knowledge and I fail to see why this has any meaning to you.

Depends on whether there's any dust on the sensor now, as compared to
when it was new.

> >2. Do you need Capture NX2 to use the image dust-off photo?

> You need some version of Capture which supports the D90 raw images.

OK
> >3. What's the best way to check to see if everything's working OK?

> Use the camera as you intend to? If you don't intend to use a feature
> which might have an issue, is this really important to you?

If I don't get around to using a feature or don't learn how to use it
for a few months and then I find out that something's broken, the short
used-goods warranty will have run out and I'll be stuck with a defective
body. This thing has a lot of features and I'll probably get around to
exercising most everything but we'll see how that goes. It's a
significant step up from my D40.

--
_____________________________
Ron, the humblest guy in town

Robert Coe

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:25:00 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)d (Ron) wrote:
: me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: > On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:24:05 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)d (Ron)
: > wrote:
: >
: > >Just ordered a used D90 and have a few questions.
: > >
[...]

If your camera doesn't come with its user's manual, try to download one from
the Nikon Web site. (I've been told, though I've never tried to confirm it,
that Nikon no longer requires you to prove ownership in order to do that.)
Then work your way through it, testing as many features as you have time to
test. Also, ask current D90 owners (here and in the Nikon sites) what features
have given them problems while they've owned their cameras. Those are the
things you may want to test first.

Bob

Ron

> : If I don't get around to using a feature or don't learn how to use it
> : for a few months and then I find out that something's broken, the short
> : used-goods warranty will have run out and I'll be stuck with a defective
> : body. This thing has a lot of features and I'll probably get around to
> : exercising most everything but we'll see how that goes. It's a
> : significant step up from my D40.
>
> If your camera doesn't come with its user's manual, try to download one from
> the Nikon Web site. (I've been told, though I've never tried to confirm it,
> that Nikon no longer requires you to prove ownership in order to do that.)
> Then work your way through it, testing as many features as you have time to
> test. Also, ask current D90 owners (here and in the Nikon sites) what features
> have given them problems while they've owned their cameras. Those are the
> things you may want to test first.
>
> Bob

Have downloaded the manual and have been reading it. Have heard a few
users complain about back-focus but other users say those folks are
doing something wrong, and that might be true in some cases.

--
_____________________________
Ron, the humblest guy in town

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If your camera doesn't come with its user's manual, try to download one from
> the Nikon Web site. (I've been told, though I've never tried to confirm it,
> that Nikon no longer requires you to prove ownership in order to do that.)

they never have.

what they do is restrict *printing* the manual to those who own the
cameras but who cares. it's a complete waste of paper (and time),
especially with the size of manuals these days. it's *far* more useful
to reference the pdf directly.

> Then work your way through it, testing as many features as you have time to
> test. Also, ask current D90 owners (here and in the Nikon sites) what features
> have given them problems while they've owned their cameras. Those are the
> things you may want to test first.

a much better way is have it evaluated at a competent repair shop.

nospam

In article <2013022418394818024-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> BTW: Rockwell has this to say about using the D90.

it's probably lies like just about everything else he says.

nospam

In article <2013022421000240977-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> >> BTW: Rockwell has this to say about using the D90.

> > it's probably lies like just about everything else he says.

> ...but there it is, another source of information for an owner of a
> used camera, exploring its features.

hardly. he claims his site is a work of fiction and full of hoaxes
solely for his amusement. there is the occasional bit of truth mixed
in, but there's no way to know which is which, especially for someone
looking for answers. if you already know all about nikon cameras or
whatever it is he's babbling about, then you might be able to tell when
he's lying, but then why would you bother going there if you already
know about it?

> It is probably best to let Ron check the manual,

yes. that's the best source.

> and Rockwell,

definitely not.

> since he
> has the D90 in hand and you and I don't. He is in a better position to
> evaluate the validity of what Rockwell has written, good or bad, lie or
> truth.

or he can skip rockwell entirely and go to credible sites that don't
get their jollies by intentionally lying to its readers.

two such sites are dpreview and thom hogan's site.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90>
<http://www.bythom.com/nikond90review.htm>

David Hare-Scott

nospam wrote:

>>> it's probably lies like just about everything else he says.

>> ...but there it is, another source of information for an owner of a
>> used camera, exploring its features.

> hardly. he claims his site is a work of fiction and full of hoaxes
> solely for his amusement. there is the occasional bit of truth mixed
> in, but there's no way to know which is which, especially for someone
> looking for answers.

Where is this claimed?

What lies has he been caught in?

David

Me

On 25/02/2013 10:32 p.m., David Hare-Scott wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>> In article <2013022421000240977-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

>>> ...but there it is, another source of information for an owner of a
>>> used camera, exploring its features.

>> hardly. he claims his site is a work of fiction and full of hoaxes
>> solely for his amusement. there is the occasional bit of truth mixed
>> in, but there's no way to know which is which, especially for someone
>> looking for answers.

> Where is this claimed?

His ramble is on the "about" page on his site.

> What lies has he been caught in?

Here's one:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7100.htm#lens
"You're always on your own with off-brand lenses like Sigma. Readers
tell me that their Sigma 105 Macros don't work on the D7100."

Considering that the D7100 won't ship to his beloved "readers" until
some time in March, that looks very much like a lie.
His lack of photos of his "growing family" (who need your support) taken
with the D7100 he's "reviewed" are another hint.

He can be entertaining - but never take his opinion seriously.

Costco has the D90 in stock. SMS Digital Photography 0 10-06-2008 01:20 AM
D90 D-Movie Mode Maurice Blanchard Digital Photography 3 09-09-2008 01:05 PM
Reg New Nikon D90 Camera robert w fischer Digital Photography 0 08-29-2008 02:03 AM
D90 specs? Yoshi Digital Photography 0 03-03-2008 03:07 AM
Nikon D90 PRO announced. 12 Mpix 20D killer Walt Hanks Digital Photography 60 04-02-2005 08:27 AM

Advertisments