Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon new release D7100

Nikon new release D7100

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> No they don't. All they have to do is know that they get acceptable
> >> results. The don't really have to know how or why.

> >which means knowing that fine detail can cause artifacts, just as i
> >said originally.

> But that's not the same as knowing about technicalities such as Airey
> discs and circles etc or oversampling, or the effect of having an
> anti-alias filter etc.

the point is you have to know about aliasing artifacts even if you
don't know the technical name for it, just as you have to know about
aperture and depth of field even if you don't understand optics.

Rob

On 3/03/2013 7:51 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
> says...
>> No they don't. All they have to do is know that they get acceptable
>> results. The don't really have to know how or why.

> Photographers need to know that cameras without AA filters can cause
> aliasing, i.e. they shouldn't be using a camera without an AA filter on
> a fashion shoot.

In practical terms have you used a camera without the AA filter on a
fashion shoot?

If not how can you give this advice?

PeterN

On 3/2/2013 10:54 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 01:29:56 +0100, Alfred Molon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <51323675$0$10783$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
>> says...
>>> He may be technically correct, but the discussion is about commercially
>>> acceptable results. Creative directors don't give a rat's rear end about
>>> technicalities. They look for the impression created by the image. (At
>>> least the successful ones have that standard.)

>> But especially for fashion subjects, where there is fabric with regular
>> patterns, aliasing can cause very ugly results:
>> http://www.molon.de/S2/P5.jpg
>>
>> Imagine if a whole fashion shoot is like that, horribly messed up by
>> aliasing. You can't fix that with post-processing. Creative directors
>> would be quite ****ed of.

> I would expect them to be at the sight of a photographer fronting up
> with a Samsung GT I9100 cellphone for the shoot.

Actually the presence of a creative director during a fashion shoot
would be unusual.

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 3/2/2013 9:13 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article <5132ad7f$0$10756$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if you even know what a creative director does. i.e. In
>> addition to a lot of other things, they hire the photographer. Few
>> creative directors have the tine, or inclination to do the photography
>> themselves. MOST ONLY WORK 70-90 HOURS A WEEK. If you worked half that
>> time, you would not have the time to post the way you do.

> wrong again. i know what they do and have worked with some.
>
> you should quit before you dig yourself a deeper hole.

I can think of no other way to say this:
you are either full of ****, or the creative directors you cliame to
have worked with were not very successful..

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 3/3/2013 3:51 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
> says...
>> No they don't. All they have to do is know that they get acceptable
>> results. The don't really have to know how or why.

> Photographers need to know that cameras without AA filters can cause
> aliasing, i.e. they shouldn't be using a camera without an AA filter on
> a fashion shoot.

True. But we were talking about creative directors, not the
photographer. nospam appears to have no clue.

Here is a typical job description: The ones I know earn considerable
more than stated in the article.
<http://advertising.about.com/od/profiles/p/creativedirect.htm>

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper

On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 11:13:32 -0500, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 3/2/2013 9:13 PM, nospam wrote:
>> In article <5132ad7f$0$10756$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, PeterN
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if you even know what a creative director does. i.e. In
>>> addition to a lot of other things, they hire the photographer. Few
>>> creative directors have the tine, or inclination to do the photography
>>> themselves. MOST ONLY WORK 70-90 HOURS A WEEK. If you worked half that
>>> time, you would not have the time to post the way you do.

>> wrong again. i know what they do and have worked with some.
>>
>> you should quit before you dig yourself a deeper hole.
>>

>I can think of no other way to say this:
>you are either full of ****, or the creative directors you cliame to
>have worked with were not very successful..

You seem to forget that nospam knows everything about everything.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

David Taylor

On 03/03/2013 18:40, Alfred Molon wrote:
[]
> Have you seen the image of the jacket with all that aliasing? And you
> still have doubts that aliasing can happen with clothes?

I hope that no-one has doubts that aliasing /can/ and /does/ exist.

However, there is the question whether give (a) a sufficiently high
number of pixels (pixel density on the focal plane), (b) a lens with
either a very shallow depth of field or being slightly out of focus, (c)
a lens with an MTF which is quite low at the critical spatial frequency,
whether the aliasing which may exist is of sufficiently great an
amplitude that it makes a material difference to the picture.

There is a substantial difference between a low-cost 'phone camera (and
an inherently great depth of field) and a high-pixel-density full-frame
sensor used with a wide-aperture lens.

You may /both/ be right!
--
Cheers,
David

nospam

In article <kh06d1$c40$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Have you seen the image of the jacket with all that aliasing? And you
> > still have doubts that aliasing can happen with clothes?

> I hope that no-one has doubts that aliasing /can/ and /does/ exist.

the sigma fanbois don't think it exists.

in fact, they insist it does not exist and that foveon cameras can
capture detail beyond nyquist.

they even claim they see the same moire patterns with their eyes and
the cameras are accurately capturing those patterns, whereas other
cameras blur it all to mush.

PeterN

On 3/3/2013 1:31 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 11:13:32 -0500, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 3/2/2013 9:13 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> wrong again. i know what they do and have worked with some.
>>>
>>> you should quit before you dig yourself a deeper hole.
>>>

>> I can think of no other way to say this:
>> you are either full of ****, or the creative directors you cliame to
>> have worked with were not very successful..

> You seem to forget that nospam knows everything about everything.

Sorry, I lost my head.

--
PeterN

Rob

On 4/03/2013 11:25 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 09:49:46 +0100, Alfred Molon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
>> says...
>>> I would expect them to be at the sight of a photographer fronting up
>>> with a Samsung GT I9100 cellphone for the shoot.

>> It was a Samsung S2, but any camera without an AA filter can produce
>> such results. Also Nikon DSLRs.

> I pulled the camera ID from the EXIF data.
>
> I understand that those photographers using Nikon 800e cameras report
> almost no problems with aliasing, even on fashion work.
>
> Note, I didn't say 'no problems'.

Its only the people who haven't got one who find fault and complain