Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: ** Please Rank These Learning Sources **

Re: ** Please Rank These Learning Sources **

Philipp Hagemeister

> http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
I have never used that myself, but I have seeen plenty of stackoverflow
and student questions about it. In short, it's horrible.

The book mostly consists of basic Python programs, and beginners often
fail to grasp even the most basic structures demonstrated, mainly
because they're not explained. The book has some of the easy-to-approach
informality of, say, the Head First ones, but fails to contain the the
actual explanations for it.

(And I have no idea why one would start with Python 2.x, given that
everything's strange in there - instead of relying on the intuitive
grasp that both "a" and "รค" are single character strings, and that print
is a function like any other, they have to work with a lot of magic and
hand-waving)

- Philipp