Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Transparent Proxy and Redirecting Sockets

Transparent Proxy and Redirecting Sockets

Luca Bongiorni

Hi all,
Around I have found plenty useful sources about TCP transparent proxies. However I am still missing how to make socket redirection.

What I would like to do is:

host_A <--> PROXY <--> host_B
^

host_C <------

At the beginning the proxy is simply forwarding the data between A and B.
Subsequently, when a parser catches the right pattern, the proxy quit the communication between A and B and redirect all the traffic to the host_C.

I would be pleased if someone would suggest me some resources or hints.

Thank you
Cheers,
Luca

Rodrick Brown

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Luca Bongiorni <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Around I have found plenty useful sources about TCP transparent proxies.
> However I am still missing how to make socket redirection.
>
> What I would like to do is:
>
> host_A <--> PROXY <--> host_B
> ^
> |
> host_C <------
>
> At the beginning the proxy is simply forwarding the data between A and B.
> Subsequently, when a parser catches the right pattern, the proxy quit the
> communication between A and B and redirect all the traffic to the host_C.
>
> I would be pleased if someone would suggest me some resources or hints.

Are you looking for a Python way of doing this? I would highly recommend
taking a look at ha-proxy as its very robust, simple and fast. If you're
looking to implement this in Python code you may want to use a framework
like Twisted - http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedProject

Twisted provides many functionality that can leverage to accomplish this
task.

> Thank you
> Cheers,
> Luca

Luca Bongiorni

2013/2/21 Rodrick Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Luca Bongiorni <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Around I have found plenty useful sources about TCP transparent proxies.
>> However I am still missing how to make socket redirection.
>>
>> What I would like to do is:
>>
>> host_A <--> PROXY <--> host_B
>> ^
>> |
>> host_C <------
>>
>> At the beginning the proxy is simply forwarding the data between A and B.
>> Subsequently, when a parser catches the right pattern, the proxy quit the
>> communication between A and B and redirect all the traffic to the host_C.
>>
>> I would be pleased if someone would suggest me some resources or hints.
>>

> Are you looking for a Python way of doing this? I would highly recommend
> taking a look at ha-proxy as its very robust, simple and fast. If you're
> looking to implement this in Python code you may want to use a framework
> like Twisted - http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedProject
>
> Twisted provides many functionality that can leverage to accomplish this
> task.

Thank you for the hint. I will start to delve on it right now.
Cheers,
Luca