Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Night vision equipment

Re: Night vision equipment

RichA

On Feb 20, 2:04*pm, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Just curious: I would imagine that these units contain monochrome
> sensors with large pixels and due to the high-ISO race of the past
> years, current DSLR sensors shouldn't be noisier. Or does military grade
> night vision equipment contain sensors which are less noisy than current
> DSLR sensors?
> Or is perhaps the image processing software which makes the difference?
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Some use electron-multiplying CCDs. Most are low resolution compared
to any digital camera.
Night vision also uses micro channel plates. Photons enter tiny tubes
and electrons are released and multiplied and they impact on a
phosphor screen producing an image. The higher the "gain'' or
electron multiplication, the greater the light amplification.
Civilians are restricted to lower-end, older systems and as far as I
know, Stage 3 or higher cannot be exported.