Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Is there a graphical GUI builder?

Is there a graphical GUI builder?

Rex Macey

I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

Mark Lawrence

On 19/02/2013 22:19, Rex Macey wrote:
> I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

Try typing "python gui builder" into your favourite search engine. If
you're lucky you might find something, if not you'll have to write your
own or do without.

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence

Ian Kelly

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Rex Macey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I usedMicrosoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

wxFormBuilder seems to be popular and works with wxPython. Beyond
that, you might also take a look at the "GUI Design Tools and IDEs"
list at:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

Chris Angelico

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Rex Macey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I usedMicrosoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

That way of building a window tends to produce programs that port
badly to other systems. Back in the 1990s, I used to build windows
that way (mainly using VX-REXX); playing with Java applets introduced
the novel and somewhat strange idea that your window should be built
using rules and layouts, to avoid problems with button sizes, fonts,
etc, etc. Today, cross-platform code is the norm, not a curiosity, so
this method of building up a window is correspondingly more plausible.
I strongly recommend it.

You have to think about your window differently - think about what
you're putting where, rather than going visually "that looks about
right" - but the reward is that it'll look right no matter where you
run your app. As an added bonus, you don't need any sort of graphical
builder; you can just write code directly in your editor.

ChrisA

Phil

On 20/02/13 08:19, Rex Macey wrote:
> I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

I'm new to Python myself and the best IDE that I've found is Eric.

--
Regards,
Phil

Miki Tebeka

> I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs.
IIRC the Qt builder can generate Python code.

duncan smith

On 19/02/13 22:19, Rex Macey wrote:
> I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

Boa Constructor perhaps (http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/).

Duncan

Roland Koebler

Hi,

> I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs.

yes, there are several, depending on the GUI-toolkit (GTK+, Qt, ...)
you want to use.

But I would recommend Glade and the GTK+-Toolkit. Simply search
for Glade, GTK and Python in your favourite search engine, and you
will find several tutorials.

regards,
Roland

Michael Torrie

On 02/19/2013 07:53 PM, Roland Koebler wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago
>> I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical)
>> facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development
>> environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to
>> build GUIs.

> yes, there are several, depending on the GUI-toolkit (GTK+, Qt, ...)
> you want to use.
>
> But I would recommend Glade and the GTK+-Toolkit. Simply search for
> Glade, GTK and Python in your favourite search engine, and you will
> find several tutorials.

I agree that on Linux GTK is pretty darn slick. I use it for all my
little GUIs. But on Windows, GTK, particularly under python, isn't
quite as easy to get running. Just be forewarned. Doesn't seem to me
that GTK on windows is being developed at the same pace as it is on Linux.

I think if the OP is on windows (which it seems like he is) then Qt with
PySide (using either QML or QtDesigner to manipulate ui files) is an
excellent choice.

Steve Simmons

On 19/02/2013 23:19, Rex Macey wrote:
> I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

Take a look at Qt (and PyQt) - this includes QtDesigner, a nice GUI
design/generation tool. Three caveats:

1. Read and Re-read the response from Chris Angelico - IME he knows what
he is talking about and I'm just in the process of learning first hand
what he is telling you (I'm writing an application in Python with PyQt).
2. Qt isn't 'free' (depending on what you are going to be doing with it)
- read the licensing rules.
3. QtDesigner isn't Visual Studio and creating a GUI in Qt/PyQt tends to
be a process of GUI design, GUI code generation and integration with
your 'business logic.' There's no round-trip-engineering, so if you
mess with your GUI code after generating it, it isn't easy to get it
back into QtDesigner.

Steve Simmons