Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon to release a decent compact camera...but with a FIXED lens!!

Nikon to release a decent compact camera...but with a FIXED lens!!

RichA

What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
step up from camera phones.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/ni...rocessor.aspx/

Irwell

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:55:18 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:

> What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
> DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
> step up from camera phones.
>
> http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/ni...rocessor.aspx/

One step for man, one giant leap etc., etc.

Mort

RichA wrote:
> What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
> DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
> step up from camera phones.
>
> http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/ni...rocessor.aspx/

Hi,

This brings back old memories. I have a Nikon 35 Ti film camera, with a
fixed 35mm f 2.8 lens that was exceedingly sharp. The camera was built
like an elegant army tank, and had retro needle pointer dials. The
pictures that I took with it were quite sharp and free of visible
aberrations. I used it as a pocket camera, when I could not bring my 14
pounds of Nikon F equipment along. Its only problem was its high price.

Mort Linder

Mike S.

In article <5124ec04$0$24746$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>RichA wrote:
>> What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
>> DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
>> step up from camera phones.
>>

>http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/ni...rocessor.aspx/
>>

>Hi,
>
>This brings back old memories. I have a Nikon 35 Ti film camera, with a
>fixed 35mm f 2.8 lens that was exceedingly sharp. The camera was built
>like an elegant army tank, and had retro needle pointer dials. The
>pictures that I took with it were quite sharp and free of visible
>aberrations. I used it as a pocket camera, when I could not bring my 14
>pounds of Nikon F equipment along. Its only problem was its high price.

Got one too, as well as the competitor from Minolta (TC). Unfortunately,
film-based photography was already on the way out by that time.

John Turco

On 2/19/2013 3:55 PM, RichA wrote:
> What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
> DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
> step up from camera phones.
>
> http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/ni...rocessor.aspx/

I'd agree with you, had you written "fixed focus" (i.e., a box
camera). On the other hand, a "fixed lens" compact can be a very
capable device, whether film or digital.

John

Rob

On 21/02/2013 02:30, Mort wrote:
> RichA wrote:
>> What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
>> DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
>> step up from camera phones.
>>
>> http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/ni...rocessor.aspx/
>>

> Hi,
>
> This brings back old memories. I have a Nikon 35 Ti film camera, with a
> fixed 35mm f 2.8 lens that was exceedingly sharp. The camera was built
> like an elegant army tank, and had retro needle pointer dials. The
> pictures that I took with it were quite sharp and free of visible
> aberrations. I used it as a pocket camera, when I could not bring my 14
> pounds of Nikon F equipment along. Its only problem was its high price.
>
> Mort Linder

When they ran out of production and digital were well established you
could buy a new one for peanuts.

PeterN

On 2/19/2013 4:55 PM, RichA wrote:
> What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
> DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
> step up from camera phones.
>
> http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/ni...rocessor.aspx/

Did you happen to notice that is NOT a Nikobn release announcement.
Simply a rumor.

--
PeterN

RichA

On Feb 20, 10:30*am, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA wrote:
> > What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
> > DSLR. *Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
> > step up from camera phones.

> >http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/ni...igh-end-compac...

> Hi,
>
> This brings back old memories. I have a Nikon 35 Ti film camera, with a
> fixed 35mm f 2.8 lens that was exceedingly sharp. The camera was built
> like an elegant army tank, and had retro needle pointer dials. The
> pictures that I took with it were quite sharp

Well, making 4x6 prints from film negatives wasn't exactly a major
task, even for a modest lens. I wonder how the Nikon lens in that
camera would do with a 16MP sensor?

Wolfgang Weisselberg

PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2/19/2013 4:55 PM, RichA wrote:
>> What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
>> DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
>> step up from camera phones.

>> http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/ni...rocessor.aspx/

> Did you happen to notice that is NOT a Nikobn release announcement.
> Simply a rumor.

NO! RichA is wrong! RichA, the one who can predict how well
any camera will ever sell, has been fooled by a rumor! RichA,
the single expert of the world on what cameras are worthy and
which are not, has been tripped up! This simply cannot be!!!

I'll go commit suicide now, my world has been completely
shattered. The shutter has closed on me; I'll go get myself
pelted to death by expensive prime lenses. I'll guillotine off
my fingers and toes with the electronic shutters of compact
cameras till I bleed to death. I'll look into a mirror lens
with a basilisk on the other side till I turn to stone.

-Wolfgang

John Turco

On 3/2/2013 9:10 AM, George Kerby wrote:

> On 3/1/13 1:56 PM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
> "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Did you happen to notice that is NOT a Nikobn release announcement.
>>> Simply a rumor.

>> NO! RichA is wrong! RichA, the one who can predict how well
>> any camera will ever sell, has been fooled by a rumor! RichA,
>> the single expert of the world on what cameras are worthy and
>> which are not, has been tripped up! This simply cannot be!!!
>>

>> I'll go commit suicide now, my world has been completely
>> shattered. The shutter has closed on me; I'll go get myself
>> pelted to death by expensive prime lenses. I'll guillotine off
>> my fingers and toes with the electronic shutters of compact
>> cameras till I bleed to death. I'll look into a mirror lens
>> with a basilisk on the other side till I turn to stone.
>>
>> -Wolfgang

> Might get a better Usenet server whilst you're at it...

What's this "whilst" stuff about, eh?

John