Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can anyone recommend a good DVB card?

Can anyone recommend a good DVB card?

Dave Doe

Maybe one of these? ...

http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...

> Maybe one of these? ...
>
> http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb

Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know
http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460

--
Duncan.

JohnO

On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 00:21:03 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>
> (E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...
>

> > Maybe one of these? ...

> > http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb

> Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
>
> card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know

> http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460
>

> --
>
> Duncan.

The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one and it seems to just work.

The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners. That'sa waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I would avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't require opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI might disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.

Frank Williams

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 00:21:03 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>(E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...
>>
>> Maybe one of these? ...
>>
>> http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb

>Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
>card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know
>http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460

I brought a USB stick from China, it had comments that it worked in NZ
it dose, cost some $20, the same looking model is sold on Trade Me for
about $34.

To day this Hauppauge would be the only brand I would look for, have
very good support and from memory and a 2 tuner model

http://www.hauppauge.com.sg/

You can email them as I have done this in the past.

Enkidu

On 20/02/13 10:12, JohnO wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 00:21:03 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
>> In article
>> <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...
>>

>>> Maybe one of these? ...

>>> http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb

>> Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an
>> on-board
>>
>> card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know

>> http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460
>>

>> --
>>
>> Duncan.

> The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver
> support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one
> and it seems to just work.
>
> The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners.
> That's a waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I
> would avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't
> require opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI
> might disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.

I've had variable results with USB stick devices (not that I've tried a
DVB one though). Some of them seem seem flaky, possibly because the
current drain is too high for the port they are plugged into, which
shouldn't be a problem with recent hardware. That said, USB is the way
to go.

Cheers,

Cliff

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed), JohnO says...

> On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 00:21:03 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> >
> > (E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...
> >

> > > Maybe one of these? ...

> > > http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb

> > Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
> >
> > card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know

> > http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460
> >

> > --
> >
> > Duncan.

> The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver
> support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one
> and it seems to just work.
>
> The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners.
> That's a waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I would
> avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't require
> opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI might
> disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.

Cheers, I shoulda mentioned I have no PCI, just PCI-E.

Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good? ...

http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

(E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed), JohnO says...
> >
> > On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 00:21:03 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
> > > In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > >
> > > (E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...

> > > Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
> > >
> > > card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know

> > > http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > Duncan.

> > The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver
> > support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one
> > and it seems to just work.
> >
> > The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners.
> > That's a waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I would
> > avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't require
> > opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI might
> > disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.

> Cheers, I shoulda mentioned I have no PCI, just PCI-E.
>
> Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good? ...
>
> http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119

Then again, he's got this, and it's only $90 ...

http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_inf...ucts_id=284554

I just don't know about a USB stick - why would/could that be better?

--
Duncan.

JohnO

On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 12:01:28 UTC+13, Enkidu wrote:
> On 20/02/13 10:12, JohnO wrote:

<snip>

> I've had variable results with USB stick devices (not that I've tried a
> DVB one though). Some of them seem seem flaky, possibly because the
> current drain is too high for the port they are plugged into, which
> shouldn't be a problem with recent hardware. That said, USB is the way
> to go.

Yeah, the DVB ones don't have to do any processing - they just eat up the digital data off the air and pump it out. The PC CPU has to do a lot of workto demultiplex and decompress the video stream out of it.

> Cheers,

That reminds me - these things sometimes come with a little desktop antenna- but I've found them useless and have only had good results connecting toa proper roof top UHF antenna. Maybe the little ones are ok if you have a close line of sight view of one of the transmitter towers.

Dave Doe

(E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> (E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...
> >
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed), JohnO says...

> > > The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver
> > > support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one
> > > and it seems to just work.
> > >
> > > The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners.
> > > That's a waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I would
> > > avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't require
> > > opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI might
> > > disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.

> > Cheers, I shoulda mentioned I have no PCI, just PCI-E.
> >
> > Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good? ...
> >
> > http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119

> Then again, he's got this, and it's only $90 ...
>
> http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_inf...ucts_id=284554
>
> I just don't know about a USB stick - why would/could that be better?

Um... I also believe that any device would come with some software, but
I'm looking at (also) running this...

http://www.progdvb.com/

--
Duncan.

Frank Williams

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:49:40 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>(E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...
>>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed), JohnO says...

>> > The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver
>> > support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one
>> > and it seems to just work.
>> >
>> > The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners.
>> > That's a waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I would
>> > avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't require
>> > opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI might
>> > disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.

>> Cheers, I shoulda mentioned I have no PCI, just PCI-E.
>>
>> Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good? ...
>>
>> http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119

>Then again, he's got this, and it's only $90 ...
>
>http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_inf...ucts_id=284554
>
>I just don't know about a USB stick - why would/could that be better?

You don't need to be a PC tech to install it or the invalidate your
warrantee.

Can anyone recommend some good books to learn Java programming with? Zer0 Voltage Java 5 06-27-2011 04:59 PM
DVB-S or DVB-T ? XPD NZ Computing 5 07-04-2007 10:52 AM
Can anyone recommend a good news server trigger Computer Support 3 12-08-2003 10:12 PM
Can anyone recommend a good dital photo lab in the Dallas area? Samuel Bortnick Digital Photography 0 10-16-2003 04:00 AM
Can anyone recommend a good IP spoof app? DragonRider Computer Support 2 06-25-2003 10:26 AM

Advertisments