Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Re: Pop-up

Re: Pop-up

J.O. Aho

Abby Sale wrote:

> I've been getting a pop-up on arriving at many websites. I'm disturbed
> it gets to me.
>
> It's small with no address line visable but asking FF 18.0.2 for View
> frame source gives

In what you provide, there is nothing that would make something to "pop-up"
and those no one can advice you to do this or that.

I would recommend adblocker and ghostery plugins, these will help you to get
rid of tons of advertisement and spying.

If you feel that you have to many browsers to install the plugins, then I
would suggest a combination of squid and privoxy, which could be made to be
used by all without the need of changing configuration in all browsers.

> Blocking lfstmedia.com in Exceptions to Load Images Automatically
> doesn't help.

It's not an image in your example, it's just an anchor (link).

> Is there a way to block this? I fear it's the harbinger of many other
> ads that evade the pop-up blocker.

Your example don't have any pop-up feature, there is no way to stop a user
from clicking on the links. If you have pop-up issues, then you need to look
at the page from where the pop-up is launched.

There are some types of pop-up which are difficult to stop, if I recall those,
they use flash and a no-flash plugin would help.

--
//Aho

J.O. Aho

On 18/02/13 01:28, Marvin L. Zinn wrote:

> What is the more horrible is a word in something I want to read, and if I just scan
> the mouse over that word an advertisement will immediately pop up and cover the
> words I am reading. That I have not yet been about the block. (Sometimes it is
> "contact" I select because it is what I intend to do for the web page source, but
> the add (near the other one want) is just trying to sell me another service to
> contact a list, and for that I may not be able to see the one I am looking for.

This is a html item title and isn't something to be considered as a
pop-up, if you want to block things like these you need to use greasemonkey.

--

//Aho

J.O. Aho

On 18/02/13 15:18, Abby Sale wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 18:25:48 +0100, "J.O. Aho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<fixed evil top posting>

>> Your example don't have any pop-up feature, there is no way to stop a user
>>from clicking on the links. If you have pop-up issues, then you need to look
>> at the page from where the pop-up is launched.

> Thanks for trying. Unfortunately, neither "Updated Ad Blocker for
> Firefox 11+" nor "Ads No More" nor "Ghostery 2.8.4" had any effect.
>
> (I just use FF. On rare occasions I'm forced by limited programmers to
> use IE for something that doesn't show links or buttons in FF.)

As there is no more data, I'm assuming your problem is either the inline
title (mentioned by Marvin) or that you have some odd bar or plugin
which causes you think you have hit a popup.

You need to provide a page which causes the "popup" every time you visit
it, until that time, you will need to learn to live with it.

--

//Aho