Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: multiple 2.7.3 versions?

Re: multiple 2.7.3 versions?

Terry Reedy

On 2/15/2013 6:06 PM, Ned Deily wrote:
> In article <kfmdu8$iim$(E-Mail Removed)>, Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> On 2/15/2013 5:53 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
>>> On
>>> all the other machines I have access to I'm seeing something similar to
>>> this

>> Notice the date again -- the original release date of 2.7.3.

> FYI - the date is a build date; it doesn't tell you much about the
> source code base used for that Python build.

If a build called 2.7.3 is built on the 2.7.3 release date, one may
reasonably think that it is built from the 2.7.3 code released on that
date. Besides which, I recognized that as the header from the PSF
distributed build . More problematical is any build, even of the same
name, built later, by anyone else, as with Ubuntu releases.

> But if it had the hg rev used
> for the checkout, you have some indication of what it contains.

My impression is that Ubuntu does not build from any of *our* hg revs,
but that they cherry pick patches to apply in their repository. I agree
that is they gave *their* repository url and checkout id, that would be
helpful. We could possible do that with our releases too.

--
Terry Jan Reedy