Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: inheritance and how to use it

Re: inheritance and how to use it

Dave Angel

On 02/15/2013 11:59 AM, Bob Brusa wrote:
> Hi,
> I use a module downloaded from the net. Now I want to build my own class, based
> on the class SerialInstrument offered in this module - and in my class I would
> like to initialize a few things, using e. g. the method clear() offered by
> SerialInstrument. Hence I type:
>
> class myClass(SerialInstrument)
> self.clear(self)
> def f1(self, str1, str2)
> ...do something etc.
>
> I then get the message "self not know" from the statement self.clear(self). I
> have tried many other notations - none worked. What works is however the
> following code - specifying myClass without the self.clear(self) in it:
>
> x = myClass("argument")
> x.clear()
>
> How can I integrate this call into the definition of myClass? Thanks for advice.
> Bob

By initialize, I'll assume you want this code to execute when your class
is instantiated. The way to do that is with a method called __init__().
Notice the double underscore at begin and end.

class myClass(SerialInstrument):
def __init__(self):
self.val1 = 42
self.val2 = 31
#... also initialize the base class
self.clear()

def f1(self, str1, str2):

You should also call the __init__() method of the base class. But I
don't know whether you're using Python2 or Python3, so I won't write
that call

This is without knowing anything about your base class, so there may be
many other adjustments to be made.

--
DaveA