Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Looks like cellphones are impacting all cameras

Re: Looks like cellphones are impacting all cameras

Paul Ciszek

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/...e-results.html

"Olympus' inventory of cameras grew, which means they weren't able to
sell the product they already made."

Why, then, were OM-D's nearly impossible to get for a while?

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
| remain, separate." --Ronald Reagan, 10/26/1984

PeterN

On 2/13/2013 7:44 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/...e-results.html

> "Olympus' inventory of cameras grew, which means they weren't able to
> sell the product they already made."
>
> Why, then, were OM-D's nearly impossible to get for a while?

Possibly for the same reason the Nikon D800 was hard to get for a while:
I call it creation of demand through creation of artificial shortages.
There is a marketing perception that if something is hard to get, it
must be good.

"Wopw, was I lucky to get my hands on a <fill in the blank> etc.

--
PeterN

RichA

On Feb 13, 4:39*pm, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2/13/2013 7:44 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > RichA *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/...e-results.html

> > "Olympus' inventory of cameras grew, which means they weren't able to
> > sell the product they already made."

> > Why, then, were OM-D's nearly impossible to get for a while?

> Possibly for the same reason the Nikon D800 was hard to get for a while:
> I call it creation of demand through creation of artificial shortages.
> There is a marketing perception that if something is hard to get, it
> must be good.
>
> "Wopw, was I lucky to get my hands on a <fill in the blank> *etc.
>
> --
> PeterN

No, it's just that they don't amass hundreds of thousands (like with
cellphones) before release. There are no "days long line-ups" at
camera stores like with phones. They portion out the initial stock to
key dealers and the early adopters (like me with the E-5M) deplete
what they have an a shortage is seen, at least initially.

PeterN

On 2/13/2013 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Feb 13, 4:39 pm, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2/13/2013 7:44 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:

>>> "Olympus' inventory of cameras grew, which means they weren't able to
>>> sell the product they already made."

>>> Why, then, were OM-D's nearly impossible to get for a while?

>> Possibly for the same reason the Nikon D800 was hard to get for a while:
>> I call it creation of demand through creation of artificial shortages.
>> There is a marketing perception that if something is hard to get, it
>> must be good.
>>
>> "Wopw, was I lucky to get my hands on a <fill in the blank> etc.
>>
>> --
>> PeterN

> No, it's just that they don't amass hundreds of thousands (like with
> cellphones) before release. There are no "days long line-ups" at
> camera stores like with phones. They portion out the initial stock to
> key dealers and the early adopters (like me with the E-5M) deplete
> what they have an a shortage is seen, at least initially.

So what have you said that I didn't?

--
PeterN

RichA

On Feb 14, 9:43*am, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2/13/2013 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:

> >> Possibly for the same reason the Nikon D800 was hard to get for a while:
> >> I call it creation of demand through creation of artificial shortages.
> >> There is a marketing perception that if something is hard to get, it
> >> must be good.

> >> "Wopw, was I lucky to get my hands on a <fill in the blank> *etc.

> >> --
> >> PeterN

> > No, it's just that they don't amass hundreds of thousands (like with
> > cellphones) before release. *There are no "days long line-ups" at
> > camera stores like with phones. *They portion out the initial stock to
> > key dealers and the early adopters (like me with the E-5M) deplete
> > what they have an a shortage is seen, at least initially.

> So what have you said that I didn't?
>
> --
> PeterN

I don't think they create artificial sources.

PeterN

On 2/14/2013 8:24 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Feb 14, 9:43 am, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> No, it's just that they don't amass hundreds of thousands (like with
>>> cellphones) before release. There are no "days long line-ups" at
>>> camera stores like with phones. They portion out the initial stock to
>>> key dealers and the early adopters (like me with the E-5M) deplete
>>> what they have an a shortage is seen, at least initially.

>> So what have you said that I didn't?
>>
>> --
>> PeterN

> I don't think they create artificial sources.

Whoosh!

--
PeterN