Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Web Start problem

Web Start problem

emf

I'm learning Web Start using eclipse but from a book that uses the
command prompt method. So in eclipse I have 2 projects: the first
contains files downloaded from the book's website (and does not contain
the programs in packages, and in the second I copy and compile the same
files but in packages as eclipse requires.

The jnlp file in the first project:

=============
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<jnlp spec="1.0+"
codebase="file:///C:/MyStuf~1/MyFile~1/Java/worksp~1/JIES/10-Dep~1"
href="Lotto.jnlp">

<information>
<title>Lotto Application</title>
<vendor>Java In Easy Steps</vendor>
<homepage href="http://www.ineasysteps.com" />
<offline-allowed/>
</information>

<resources>
<jar href="Lotto.jar"/>
<j2se version="1.6+"
href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"/>
</resources>

<application-desc main-class="Lotto"/>

</jnlp>
=============

works just fine and the program runs OK.

However, the jnlp of the second project:

=============
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<jnlp spec="1.0+"
codebase="file:///C:/MyStuf~1/MyFile~1/Java/worksp~1/JavaIn~1/10_Dep~1/"
href="Lotto.jnlp">

<information>
<title>Lotto Application</title>
<vendor>Java In Easy Steps</vendor>
<homepage href="http://www.ineasysteps.com" />
<offline-allowed/>
</information>

<resources>
<jar href="Lotto.jar"/>
<j2se version="1.6+"
href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"/>
</resources>

<application-desc main-class="Lotto"/>

</jnlp>
=============

does not find the jnlp file (java.io.FileNotFoundException: The system
cannot find the path specified).

Can the problem be that the program in the second project inside the jar
is in a package? If not, what else could the problem be?

Thanks,

emf

--
Natal Transits calculator
https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/...lTransits.html

John B. Matthews

In article <kfaasd$qps$(E-Mail Removed)>, emf <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

[...]
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <jnlp spec="1.0+" [...] >

[...]
> <application-desc main-class="Lotto"/>
>
> </jnlp>
> =============
>
> does not find the jnlp file (java.io.FileNotFoundException: The
> system cannot find the path specified).
>
> Can the problem be that the program in the second project inside the
> jar is in a package?

Yes; as a concrete example, cited below, the main class is in a package
named "draw":

<application-desc main-class="draw.GraphPanel"/>

<https://sites.google.com/site/drjohnbmatthews/graphpanel>

> If not, what else could the problem be?

What did you try? What happened when you tried it?

More resources may be found here:

<http://stackoverflow.com/tags/java-web-start/info>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

Roedy Green

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 03:47:07 -0500, emf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,

>does not find the jnlp file (java.io.FileNotFoundException: The system
>cannot find the path specified).

JWS looks for a JNLP file twice, once for a URL you specify, (often
cached) then it looks inside that file for a link to the most
up-to-data copy.

You seem to be using short DOS filenames. I would avoid that. Their
support is optional.

Do you have two copies of the JNLP? What are their precise file
names?

Java is case sensitive. Make sure all your names have the precise
case.

Normally there are no file: urls in jnlp. There should not be any if
you are trying to use this on the web.
time.
~ Tom Cargill Ninety-ninety Law

Roedy Green

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 03:47:07 -0500, emf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,

><jnlp spec="1.0+"

We are on JNLP version 6 . If you specify 1.0 you must limit yourself
drastically.
time.
~ Tom Cargill Ninety-ninety Law

John B. Matthews

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 03:47:07 -0500, emf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,
>
> ><jnlp spec="1.0+"

> We are on JNLP version 6 . If you specify 1.0 you must limit
> yourself drastically.

Drastically? Here's a chart of elements and versions, for reference:

<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/javaws/developersguide/syntax.html>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

markspace

On 2/14/2013 9:57 AM, John B. Matthews wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 03:47:07 -0500, emf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,
>> quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>>
>>> <jnlp spec="1.0+"

>> We are on JNLP version 6 . If you specify 1.0 you must limit
>> yourself drastically.

> Drastically? Here's a chart of elements and versions, for reference:
>
> <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/javaws/developersguide/syntax.html>

Right, "spec" means JNLP specification, not Java version. The default
is "1.0+", so that attribute would seem to do nothing.