Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Statistics...help with numpy/scipy install

Statistics...help with numpy/scipy install

Rex Macey

I'm new to Python with a new windows 8 machine (64-bit OS). Learning programming mainly for fun. Naturally I downloaded Python 3.3 (who doesn't wantthe latest and greatest). What I want involves functions related to the normal distribution. Based on my google research, it appears that SCIPY is agood way to go. That requires NUMPY. I don't seem to find an install that works for my environment which leads to the questions on this post: Is there an install for my environment and if so, where do I get it? If not, is there another package I should use? Or do I need to bite the bullet and install an earlier version of Python. Suggestions and comments appreciated. Thanks.

Mark Lawrence

On 10/02/2013 17:35, Rex Macey wrote:
> I'm new to Python with a new windows 8 machine (64-bit OS). Learning programming mainly for fun. Naturally I downloaded Python 3.3 (who doesn't want the latest and greatest). What I want involves functions related to the normal distribution. Based on my google research, it appears that SCIPY is a good way to go. That requires NUMPY. I don't seem to find an install that works for my environment which leads to the questions on this post: Is there an install for my environment and if so, where do I get it? If not, is there another package I should use? Or do I need to bite the bullet and install an earlier version of Python. Suggestions and comments appreciated. Thanks.

So what exactly went wrong when you tried to install this
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nump...s/NumPy/1.7.0/ using commands
that you haven't given us and got error messages that you also haven't
given us?

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence

Michael Torrie

On 02/10/2013 10:35 AM, Rex Macey wrote:
> I'm new to Python with a new windows 8 machine (64-bit OS). Learning
> programming mainly for fun. Naturally I downloaded Python 3.3 (who
> doesn't want the latest and greatest). What I want involves
> functions related to the normal distribution. Based on my google
> research, it appears that SCIPY is a good way to go. That requires
> NUMPY. I don't seem to find an install that works for my
> environment which leads to the questions on this post: Is there an
> install for my environment and if so, where do I get it? If not, is
> there another package I should use? Or do I need to bite the bullet
> and install an earlier version of Python. Suggestions and comments
> appreciated. Thanks.

A casual google search seems to indicate that for now, SciPy and NumPy
are for Python 2.x (2.7 is the latest). I could be wrong though and
often am. I know a number of popular and useful packages are not yet
available on Python 3.

If you need to do a lot math stuff, there's a complete python system
that bundles a lot of these tools together into a nice package. It's
called Sage. http://www.sagemath.org/

There are several non-python packages out there that are really handy as
well:
- R - if you need to do statistics. http://www.r-project.org/
- Octave - a matlab-compatible language. http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/
- SciLab - a math package that has a nice gui. http://www.scilab.org

Colin J. Williams

On 10/02/2013 12:35 PM, Rex Macey wrote:
> I'm new to Python with a new windows 8 machine (64-bit OS). Learning programming mainly for fun. Naturally I downloaded Python 3.3 (who doesn't want the latest and greatest). What I want involves functions related to the normal distribution. Based on my google research, it appears that SCIPY is a good way to go. That requires NUMPY. I don't seem to find an install that works for my environment which leads to the questions on this post: Is there an install for my environment and if so, where do I get it? If not, is there another package I should use? Or do I need to bite the bullet and install an earlier version of Python. Suggestions and comments appreciated. Thanks.

Rex,

A good start for supplementary packages is PyPi, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_Package_Index

The packages in PyPi can be downloaded using easy-install, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyInstall

Yes, the Enthught Numpy is a good starting point.

Good luck and have fun,

Colin W

David Robinow

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Michael Torrie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 02/10/2013 10:35 AM, Rex Macey wrote:
> A casual google search seems to indicate that for now, SciPy and NumPy
> are for Python 2.x (2.7 is the latest). I could be wrong though and
> often am. I know a number of popular and useful packages are not yet
> available on Python 3.

My casual google search finds www.numpy.org as the first entry.
Clicking on the download link, one can find numpy 1.7.0 for Python 3.3
In all fairness, this was just released a few hours and is the first
official version supporting 3.3
However, numpy 1.6.2 did support 3.2
There's not yet a Scipy release supporting 3.3 so the OP may wish to
downgrade to Python3.2

> If you need to do a lot math stuff, there's a complete python system
> that bundles a lot of these tools together into a nice package. It's
> called Sage. http://www.sagemath.org/

Sage doesn't run natively on Windows. Not necessarily a problem but
should be mentioned.

Oscar Benjamin

On 10 February 2013 18:14, Michael Torrie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 02/10/2013 10:35 AM, Rex Macey wrote:
>> I'm new to Python with a new windows 8 machine (64-bit OS). Learning
>> programming mainly for fun. Naturally I downloaded Python 3.3 (who
>> doesn't want the latest and greatest). What I want involves
>> functions related to the normal distribution.

What functions did you want? The math module contains the error
function erf() and the random module can generate normally distributed
pseudo-random numbers, e.g.:

>>> import math
>>> from math import erf
>>> erf(0.0)

0.0
>>> erf(1.0)

0.842700792949715
>>> from random import normalvariate
>>> normalvariate(0.0, 1.0)

-0.2793532098124607

>> Based on my google
>> research, it appears that SCIPY is a good way to go. That requires
>> NUMPY. I don't seem to find an install that works for my
>> environment which leads to the questions on this post: Is there an
>> install for my environment and if so, where do I get it?

There should be. Why doesn't it work?

>> If not, is
>> there another package I should use? Or do I need to bite the bullet
>> and install an earlier version of Python. Suggestions and comments
>> appreciated. Thanks.

> A casual google search seems to indicate that for now, SciPy and NumPy
> are for Python 2.x (2.7 is the latest). I could be wrong though and
> often am. I know a number of popular and useful packages are not yet
> available on Python 3.

numpy and scipy are both available for Python 3. They have been for
some time and, on Ubuntu, can be installed from the OS repositories.
For Windows the OP should use the sourceforge download page.

Oscar

Rex Macey

The setup of numpy-1.7.0 leads to a Setup window with a message: "Python 3.3 is required for this package. Select installation to use:". Below that isan empty list box. Below that is an edit box for the Python Directory.

I have Python 3.3 installed on c:\Python33.

On Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:10:32 PM UTC-5, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 10/02/2013 17:35, Rex Macey wrote:
>
> > I'm new to Python with a new windows 8 machine (64-bit OS). Learning programming mainly for fun. Naturally I downloaded Python 3.3 (who doesn't want the latest and greatest). What I want involves functions related to the normal distribution. Based on my google research, it appears that SCIPY is a good way to go. That requires NUMPY. I don't seem to find an installthat works for my environment which leads to the questions on this post: Is there an install for my environment and if so, where do I get it? If not,is there another package I should use? Or do I need to bite the bullet andinstall an earlier version of Python. Suggestions and comments appreciated. Thanks.

> So what exactly went wrong when you tried to install this
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nump...s/NumPy/1.7.0/ using commands
>
> that you haven't given us and got error messages that you also haven't
>
> given us?
>

> --
>
> Cheers.
>

> Mark Lawrence

Rex Macey

The setup of numpy-1.7.0 leads to a Setup window with a message: "Python 3.3 is required for this package. Select installation to use:". Below that isan empty list box. Below that is an edit box for the Python Directory.

I have Python 3.3 installed on c:\Python33.

On Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:10:32 PM UTC-5, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 10/02/2013 17:35, Rex Macey wrote:
>
> > I'm new to Python with a new windows 8 machine (64-bit OS). Learning programming mainly for fun. Naturally I downloaded Python 3.3 (who doesn't want the latest and greatest). What I want involves functions related to the normal distribution. Based on my google research, it appears that SCIPY is a good way to go. That requires NUMPY. I don't seem to find an installthat works for my environment which leads to the questions on this post: Is there an install for my environment and if so, where do I get it? If not,is there another package I should use? Or do I need to bite the bullet andinstall an earlier version of Python. Suggestions and comments appreciated. Thanks.

> So what exactly went wrong when you tried to install this
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nump...s/NumPy/1.7.0/ using commands
>
> that you haven't given us and got error messages that you also haven't
>
> given us?
>

> --
>
> Cheers.
>

> Mark Lawrence

Rex Macey

I should have added that the setup gives an error window "Cannot install" "Python version 3.3 required, which was not found in the registry."