Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > Front Page News > ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Motherboard

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Motherboard

Becky Becky is offline
Administrator
Becky's Avatar

Hard OCP have reviewed the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Motherboard:

Quote:
"ASRock has become a very popular brand over the last few years and it seems there is always a buzz on our forums every time a new ASRock motherboard is about to be released or just hits shelves. We’ve reviewed four of these popular models over the last year or so and found these to be seriously lacking in the quality department. None of these were awful buy any means but these were certainly subpar compared to offerings from all the other major players in the industry. All but one model out of the four we looked at was quirky and had potential hardware problems. While motherboard component selection and soldering quality seems to be generally good, ASRock’s PCBs are mostly thin and weak. This is typically not the hallmark of a well built motherboard but rather the telltale sign of a low quality budget board which should be avoided by all but the most frugal.

We caught some flak for this but the fact of the matter is that only one of the ASRock boards we looked at was truly a solid offering. We were so surprised by the stark contrast between the ASRock X79 Extreme4 and previous boards we looked at that we decided to sample two boards just to make sure the good one wasn’t a fluke. That article can be found here. One thing I’ve learned over the years is that all motherboard manufacturers put out good boards and bad ones. Some do so more consistently that others in either case but one motherboard, or even several shouldn’t necessarily put you off to a given brand forever. Brands can and do change its spots for better or for worse when it comes to quality.

It is with this in mind that we take another look at an ASRock board and see if there is anything more to ASRock popularity than just a low price tag."
You can read more here.