Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Micro Four Thirds - What to buy?

Re: Micro Four Thirds - What to buy?

Paul Ciszek

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
ray carter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 11:10:59 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:
>
>> I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
>> grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

>If he's interested in a M4/3 with a viewfinder, there are not many other
>choices.

The Olympus OM-D E-M5 comes with a viewfinder. An electronic one, but
that is what you are going to get on micro-4/3 camera--no mirror. Some
professionals seem to be adopting it as their primary camera. This guy
has been getting some very nice shots with it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_pho...th/8047735181/

--
Please reply to: | No nation is drunken where wine is cheap.
pciszek at panix dot com | --Thomas Jefferson

Peter Jason

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 12:12:28 +0000 (UTC),
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Paul Ciszek) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>ray carter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 11:10:59 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
>>> grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

>>If he's interested in a M4/3 with a viewfinder, there are not many other
>>choices.

>The Olympus OM-D E-M5 comes with a viewfinder. An electronic one, but
>that is what you are going to get on micro-4/3 camera--no mirror. Some
>professionals seem to be adopting it as their primary camera. This guy
>has been getting some very nice shots with it:
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_pho...th/8047735181/

Nice. Can we always assume these are camera shots
without post production?

Paul Ciszek

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 12:12:28 +0000 (UTC),
>(E-Mail Removed) (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
>
>>The Olympus OM-D E-M5 comes with a viewfinder. An electronic one, but
>>that is what you are going to get on micro-4/3 camera--no mirror. Some
>>professionals seem to be adopting it as their primary camera. This guy
>>has been getting some very nice shots with it:
>>
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_pho...th/8047735181/

>Nice. Can we always assume these are camera shots
>without post production?

I believe Mr. Bradford to be an honest man. I have visited some of the
locations he has photographed (yea Colorado!) and my reaction to seeing
his photos was "Hey, he managed to take a picture that shows what it
really looks like. Why can't I do that?" One caveat: the OM-D offers
quite a bit of tweaking even *without* doing any post-processing.

He was able to take this picture of a juvenile golden eagle:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_pho...7629928336655/

....and print a crop of it at 30x45". Photoshop can't add resolution that
isn't there, can it?

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
| remain, separate." --Ronald Reagan, 10/26/1984

Paul Ciszek

In article <kf6ipp$d56$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Ciszek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>He was able to take this picture of a juvenile golden eagle:
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_pho...7629928336655/
>
>...and print a crop of it at 30x45". Photoshop can't add resolution that
>isn't there, can it?

Mea Culpa--that is a juvenile Bald eagle, not golden.

Oh, and here he is with the large format print:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_pho...in/photostream