Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > B&H Photo is having a Sale on SanDisk Flash Memory Cards

B&H Photo is having a Sale on SanDisk Flash Memory Cards

PeterN

On 2/7/2013 8:01 PM, John Turco wrote:
> On 2/5/2013 7:43 PM, PeterN wrote:
>> On 2/5/2013 4:30 PM, me wrote:
>>> http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/335103
>>>
>>> B&H Photo is having a Sale on SanDisk Flash Memory Cards. Free
>>> Shipping. Tax in NY.
>>>
>>> SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
>>> $46.99
>>> SanDisk 32GB SDHC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 $20.95
>>>
>>> SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 $41.95
>>> SanDisk 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $30.49
>>>
>>> SanDisk 8GB CompactFlash Memory Card Ultra 200x $19.95
>>> SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSDHC Card UHS-I (Class 10) w/ SD Adapter
>>> $23.99
>>>

>> I should add, these are older and slower cards. If your camera can't use
>> the higher speed cards, then the only difference you may notice would be
>> in downloading transfer speed through a USB3 port. these cards can be a
>> really inexpensive alternative.

> Huh? "UHS-I" cards are the fastest currently available, are they not?
>
> John

Hi John. Good 6to see you back.

For my CF on a D800, I use UDMA-7 1000X. I don't know if they are the
fastest available, but they seem to work, and download fairly rapidly
through a USB3 port.

BTW
How is your sister doing?

--
PeterN

Paul Ciszek

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
R. Mark Clayton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Paul Ciszek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:keulhg$lp0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> In article <5111b535$0$10841$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>,
>> PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>I should add, these are older and slower cards. If your camera can't use
>>>the higher speed cards, then the only difference you may notice would be
>>>in downloading transfer speed through a USB3 port. these cards can be a
>>>really inexpensive alternative.

>> The card I bought on Amazon claimed 92MB/sec write speed. I have seen
>> other cards for sale at higher prices, but none of the ads mentioned a
>> write speed.

>They were all class 10, which specifies this - Google up!

"Class 10" specifies a minimum write speed of 10MB/s. The actual write
speed of class 10 SD cards on the market varies all over the place, and
many online retailers do not give a number--that could mean that the
card only does the minumum write speed, and the retailer did not wish to
draw attention to it, but more likely it means that the retialer doesn't
know much about the products they sell and can't be bothered to find out.
Brick and mortar stores are no better in this regard. That is why I
thought I would try asking here.

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
| remain, separate." --Ronald Reagan, 10/26/1984

Paul Ciszek

In article <511334e9$0$10777$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>,
PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 2/6/2013 5:30 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
>>
>> The card I bought on Amazon claimed 92MB/sec write speed. I have seen
>> other cards for sale at higher prices, but none of the ads mentioned a
>> write speed. What is available? And what is the fastest card an Olympus
>> OM-D E-M5 can take advantage of?

>Check with your camera's manual. Though, chances are if you are asking
>that question don't spend your money on the faster cards, but get a
>couple of extra cards.

The PDF manual I downloaded from Olympus doesn't contain details like
that. If there is a longer version of the manual, I'd love to hear
about it. The camera is a fairly new design, and shoots HD video with
a choice of different quality settings--I suspect that write speed is
going to be relevant at some point.

--

On 2/8/2013 6:58 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
> In article <511334e9$0$10777$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>,
> PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2/6/2013 5:30 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
>>>
>>> The card I bought on Amazon claimed 92MB/sec write speed. I have seen
>>> other cards for sale at higher prices, but none of the ads mentioned a
>>> write speed. What is available? And what is the fastest card an Olympus
>>> OM-D E-M5 can take advantage of?

>> Check with your camera's manual. Though, chances are if you are asking
>> that question don't spend your money on the faster cards, but get a
>> couple of extra cards.

> The PDF manual I downloaded from Olympus doesn't contain details like
> that. If there is a longer version of the manual, I'd love to hear
> about it. The camera is a fairly new design, and shoots HD video with
> a choice of different quality settings--I suspect that write speed is
> going to be relevant at some point.

Then check with B&H, but do so early today. (They close early on
Fridays. The recommended card for your camera seems to be an SDHC card
= class 10.

As an aside, the reviews complain about a short battery life, so I would
get an extra battery, or two.

HTH
--
PeterN

John Turco

On 2/7/2013 7:27 PM, PeterN wrote:
> On 2/7/2013 8:01 PM, John Turco wrote:

>>> I should add, these are older and slower cards. If your camera can't use
>>> the higher speed cards, then the only difference you may notice would be
>>> in downloading transfer speed through a USB3 port. these cards can be a
>>> really inexpensive alternative.

>> Huh? "UHS-I" cards are the fastest currently available, are they not?
>>
>> John

> Hi John. Good 6to see you back.

I've been lurking, all the time.

> For my CF on a D800, I use UDMA-7 1000X. I don't know if they are the
> fastest available, but they seem to work, and download fairly rapidly
> through a USB3 port.

I was thinking strictly in terms of SD.

> BTW
> How is your sister doing?

She died.

John

David Taylor

On 10/02/2013 04:05, John Turco wrote:
> On 2/7/2013 7:27 PM, PeterN wrote:

[]
>> How is your sister doing?

> She died.
>
> John

Very sorry to hear that, John.
Please accept my condolences.
--
Cheers,
David

PeterN

On 2/9/2013 11:05 PM, John Turco wrote:
> On 2/7/2013 7:27 PM, PeterN wrote:

>>> Huh? "UHS-I" cards are the fastest currently available, are they not?
>>>
>>> John

>> Hi John. Good 6to see you back.

> I've been lurking, all the time.
>
>> For my CF on a D800, I use UDMA-7 1000X. I don't know if they are the
>> fastest available, but they seem to work, and download fairly rapidly
>> through a USB3 port.

> I was thinking strictly in terms of SD.
>
>> BTW
>> How is your sister doing?

> She died.
>
> John

I'm truly sorry to hear that. From her website, she certainly had a lot
of talent.

--
PeterN

John Turco

On 2/9/2013 11:31 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-02-09 20:05:24 -0800, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 2/7/2013 7:27 PM, PeterN wrote:

>> BTW
>>> How is your sister doing?

>> She died.
>>
>> John

> Sad news. Please accept my condolences.

Thanks.

John

John Turco

On 2/10/2013 9:47 AM, PeterN wrote:
> On 2/9/2013 11:05 PM, John Turco wrote:

>>> Hi John. Good 6to see you back.

>> I've been lurking, all the time.
>>
>>> For my CF on a D800, I use UDMA-7 1000X. I don't know if they are the
>>> fastest available, but they seem to work, and download fairly rapidly
>>> through a USB3 port.

>> I was thinking strictly in terms of SD.
>>
>>> BTW
>>> How is your sister doing?

>> She died.
>>
>> John

> I'm truly sorry to hear that. From her website, she certainly had a lot
> of talent.

Thanks.

John