Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > gif files in background-image

gif files in background-image

meagain

Are gif files supposed to repeat
when used as background images?

dorayme

In article <ker1rr$t49$(E-Mail Removed)>,
meagain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Are gif files supposed to repeat
> when used as background images?

Yes. The repeat is controlled by the CSS.

background: #fff url(img.gif) repeat;

or

background: #fff url(img.gif) no-repeat;

The former acts the same as

background: #fff url(img.gif);

repeat being default.

Same goes for jpgs and pngs and whatever there is browser support for.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <kes1i9$8fi$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > In article <ker1rr$t49$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > meagain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Are gif files supposed to repeat when used as background images?

> > Yes. The repeat is controlled by the CSS.

> Didn't you wonder if meagain meant animated gifs, animating in the
> background?

I happen to have one of those in an old experiment:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dancer/dancer.html>

You can vary the repeats for none, just horiz or just vert.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <kes8ql$llf$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> >> Didn't you wonder if meagain meant animated gifs, animating in the
> >> background?

> > I happen to have one of those in an old experiment:
> >
> > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dancer/dancer.html>

> Oh my. One cannot look at *that* for very long!!

The interesting thing about the dancer is that you can see her turning
either clockwise or anticlockwise, cf. Wittgenstein's duck/rabbit
still drawing.

--
dorayme

cwdjrxyz

On Feb 5, 6:32*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <kes1i9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> *"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > dorayme wrote:

> > > Yes. The repeat is controlled by the CSS.

> > Didn't you wonder if meagain meant animated gifs, animating in the
> > background? *

> I happen to have one of those in an old experiment:
>
> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dancer/dancer.html>
>
> You can vary the repeats for none, just horiz or just vert.

How about an animated gif that changes the size and flashes. See
http://www.cwdjr.net/picani/valentine.html . . Also one could add
multi-colored confetti using Java and many random flashing colored
lines. I will not take the time to do this, because in return for the
Valentine I am afraid I would receive some beautiful raw Easter eggs
via slow boat from Australia. -

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Feb 5, 6:32*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <kes1i9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > *"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Didn't you wonder if meagain meant animated gifs, animating in the
> > > background? *

> > I happen to have one of those in an old experiment:
> >
> > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dancer/dancer.html>
> >
> > You can vary the repeats for none, just horiz or just vert.

> How about an animated gif that changes the size and flashes. See
> http://www.cwdjr.net/picani/valentine.html . .

er... yes well... actually I am looking for something, perhaps a
little subtler - no offence cwdjrxyz - to send to the email address
of a special earthling friend, all suggestions welcome! <g>

> Also one could add
> multi-colored confetti using Java and many random flashing colored
> lines. I will not take the time to do this, because in return for the
> Valentine I am afraid I would receive some beautiful raw Easter eggs
> via slow boat from Australia. -

No need for that, I have men all over the world that can do my
bidding- rememember, I organised the hunting down of the gang of thugs
that beat poor old Luigi (bless his soul) on the French-German border.
But don't worry, cwdjrxyz, I would not send you anything unpleasant, I
still recall you helping me out with some film I needed to get online
for a job ages ago.

--
dorayme