Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 8's usage uptake falls further behind Vista's

Windows 8's usage uptake falls further behind Vista's

~misfit~

So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...behind_Vista_s
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

nospam

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:23:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
>it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:
>
>http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...behind_Vista_s

Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy

It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.

bugalugs

On 6/02/2013 2:37 p.m., nospam wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:23:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
>> it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:
>>
>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...behind_Vista_s

> Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy
>
> It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.

My upgrade from 7 to 8 Pro cost me $19.99 and I'm finding it effing
hopeless. Didn't even automatically create a Restore Point on install.
Might have blown my 20 bucks.

--
Friends don't let friends use Windows 8.

EMB

On 6/02/2013 2:37 p.m., nospam wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:23:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
>> it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:
>>
>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...behind_Vista_s

> Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy
>
> It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.

It will take a lot of our 5000 users too long (and far too many support
calls) to get used to Windows 8.

I also didn't ask for, don't want (and have in fact banished via
Classicshell) the Metro UI*.

*It works fine on my Lumia 920 (great phone, pity about the price and
weight of it).

EMB

On 6/02/2013 9:13 p.m., Crash McBash wrote:
> I downloaded and installed Win 8 to my XP box - as XP is getting
> towards support-ended status and Win 8 was cheap at $NZ50. While I
> find it quite easily usable the new UI has no compelling improvements
> over the old. I don't have touch-capable hardware and I don't have a
> smartphone either so I am not familiar with the new UIs that Metro is
> supposed to emulate.
>
> So my other 2 boxes will continue to run Win 7.

I think you need http://www.classicshell.net/ to make the Win8 work
somewhat like 7.

nospam

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 21:13:35 +1300, Crash McBash
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It seems quite apparent to me that MS are simply no longer able to
>produce must-have new Windows releases like 95 and XP were in their
>day. I reckon we are now reaching an age where users yawn at new
>software releases that include no useful new feature content.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...articleContent

<quote>
Windows 8 is faster - you'll notice the difference on older PCs as
much as on new machines. Battery life improves enough to be
noticeable. And it's significantly more secure.
And then there are the features, such as Storage Space and File
History, or the new Windows Explorer, or better multi-monitor support.
Picture Password is a great compromise between security and
convenience
The charm bar, especially the handy icons on the Setting bar, puts
most of the tools you actually use to manage your PC at your
fingertips. The cloud integration in Windows 8 is a game changer.

But touchscreen or mouse, Windows 8 undeniably shines....
Keep an open mind, spend some time getting used to the charm bar and
the Start screen. Once you do, we defy you not to be impressed by
Windows 8.
<end quote>

http://mashable.com/2012/11/08/dual-boot-windows-8/

malone

On 6-Feb-2013 9:13 pm, Crash McBash wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 15:19:49 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 6/02/2013 2:37 p.m., nospam wrote:

>>> Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
>>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy
>>>
>>> It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.
>>>

>> It will take a lot of our 5000 users too long (and far too many support
>> calls) to get used to Windows 8.
>>
>> I also didn't ask for, don't want (and have in fact banished via
>> Classicshell) the Metro UI*.
>>
>> *It works fine on my Lumia 920 (great phone, pity about the price and
>> weight of it).

> I downloaded and installed Win 8 to my XP box - as XP is getting
> towards support-ended status and Win 8 was cheap at $NZ50. While I
> find it quite easily usable the new UI has no compelling improvements
> over the old. I don't have touch-capable hardware and I don't have a
> smartphone either so I am not familiar with the new UIs that Metro is
> supposed to emulate.
>
> So my other 2 boxes will continue to run Win 7.
>
> It seems quite apparent to me that MS are simply no longer able to
> produce must-have new Windows releases like 95 and XP were in their
> day. I reckon we are now reaching an age where users yawn at new
> software releases that include no useful new feature content. Office
> suites have reached a similar plateau. Just stay with what you have
> and upgrade only when you replace/upgrade hardware.
>
> Its interesting to note that I was running Office 2003. This will not
> run on Win 8. Later Office releases offer no new feature content that
> is worthy of the price. The nearest I came to 'upgrading' to a
> version of Office that would run on Win 8 were Trade me auctions of
> Office 2007. In the end though I opted for Open Office - the current
> version runs on both Win 7 and Win 8 - and meets my (very basic) needs
> quite well.

Well, I agree about the lack of significant new features in recent
version of Microsoft Office. I'm still using Excel 2000 and that works
fine on Windows 8

JohnO

On Wednesday, 6 February 2013 15:19:49 UTC+13, EMB wrote:
> On 6/02/2013 2:37 p.m., nospam wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:23:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
> >> it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:
> >> http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...behind_Vista_s

> > Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
> > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy

> > It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.

> It will take a lot of our 5000 users too long (and far too many support
> calls) to get used to Windows 8.
>
> I also didn't ask for, don't want (and have in fact banished via
> Classicshell) the Metro UI*.

Oh, so all I need to do is install Classicshell and my windows8 will look and feel like Windows XP or 7? Yay!

> *It works fine on my Lumia 920 (great phone, pity about the price and
> weight of it).

EMB

On 7/02/2013 3:14 p.m., JohnO wrote:
> On Wednesday, 6 February 2013 15:19:49 UTC+13, EMB wrote:

>> I also didn't ask for, don't want (and have in fact banished via
>> Classicshell) the Metro UI*.

> Oh, so all I need to do is install Classicshell and my windows8 will look and feel like Windows XP or 7? Yay!

A lot /more/ like anyway. Enough to make it bearable for me where I
have to wrangle everything from Win2K to Server2012 and their respective
desktop cousins every day.

Gordon

On 2013-02-05, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
> it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...behind_Vista_s

Times change. Vista was hyped to the edge of the universe and back. Google
was just a search engine, and mobile was only starting to wake up.

Ms Windows has really, really stuck diesel in the petrol engine of the
desktop.

What she failed to do, as yet, was to allow the desktop to be iteself.
Swiping is not done on a desktop, it is done on mobile/ non mouse devices.

However it does appear that the under the hood stuff of Ms Windows 8 is all
good. An improvement. Ms Windows always has been about show, so the new and
improved brick interface is what people see.

If my car has a petrol engine then I want petrol put in the fuel tank.

The real problem for Ms Windows is that it is a brave new world. Which has
been lots of well evolved eco-creatures in it. It takes along time for a
dinosouar to evolve into a bird.