Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 8's usage uptake falls further behind Vista's

Windows 8's usage uptake falls further behind Vista's

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mike Dee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>EMB wrote:
>> The UI formerly known as Metro is one of the few recent OS changes
>> for real reasons - it puts a common UI across Microsoft's desktop,
>> server, tablet and phone platforms. That's arguably a good move*
>> for a high proportion of users of those types of technology, but
>> as above it ****es me off so I fixed it.
>>
>> * Microsoft want to get seriously into the tablet and smartphone
>> space. Apple own that space, and their consistent, easy to use UI
>> is a part of that - Microsoft had no option other than follow
>> their lead.

>Except that Apple has not pushed its iPad, iPhone iOS UI onto it's
>desktop UI... as yet.
>
>Perhaps Microsoft is being a market leader here, after all

... doesn't sound likely when you read it though, does it.

Mike Dee

Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> Mike Dee wrote:
>>EMB wrote:
>>> The UI formerly known as Metro is one of the few recent OS
>>> changes for real reasons - it puts a common UI across
>>> Microsoft's desktop, server...

[...]
>>Except that Apple has not pushed its iPad, iPhone iOS UI onto it's
>>desktop UI... as yet.
>>
>>Perhaps Microsoft is being a market leader here, after all

> .. doesn't sound likely when you read it though, does it.

Please note my "just kidding" smiley up there, Bruce

Bruce, News Xpress 2.01... What OS are you using for this? My nr is
based *heavily* on News Xpress code, and _it_ is long in the tooth.
Anyways... Kudos to you for using whatever you like to use for reading
usenet news, ay.

--
dee

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mike Dee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> Mike Dee wrote:

>[...]
>>>Except that Apple has not pushed its iPad, iPhone iOS UI onto it's
>>>desktop UI... as yet.
>>>Perhaps Microsoft is being a market leader here, after all

>> .. doesn't sound likely when you read it though, does it.

>Please note my "just kidding" smiley up there, Bruce

I did. I suspect you struggled to type it too.

I read somewhere recently (might even have been here... but in case it
wasn't) ...
Microsoft products suck. The day Microsoft products do not suck will be the
day they start making vacuum cleaners.

Gave me some minutes of amusement.

>Bruce, News Xpress 2.01... What OS are you using for this? My nr is
>based *heavily* on News Xpress code, and _it_ is long in the tooth.
>Anyways... Kudos to you for using whatever you like to use for reading
>usenet news, ay.

Agreed - its help/about says feb 15 1997.
It's still fast and reliable and running at work on our XP system (which I
have found stable and reliable). I regulaly use notepad for the same
reason (and because it discards all formatting in one easy lesson ).
I'm hoping NXS will continue to run when we "upgrade" to win 7 64 bit. I'm
not holding my breath however.
I've experimented briefly with outlook express (horrible) and even more
briefly with google groups (so bad, words cannot begin to express my hatred
of it ).

Peter Huebner

In article <kfucjj$9j8$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mike Dee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> >[...]
> >> .. doesn't sound likely when you read it though, does it.

> >Please note my "just kidding" smiley up there, Bruce

> I did. I suspect you struggled to type it too.
>
> I read somewhere recently (might even have been here... but in case it
> wasn't) ...
> Microsoft products suck. The day Microsoft products do not suck will be the
> day they start making vacuum cleaners.
>
> Gave me some minutes of amusement.
>

> >Bruce, News Xpress 2.01... What OS are you using for this? My nr is
> >based *heavily* on News Xpress code, and _it_ is long in the tooth.
> >Anyways... Kudos to you for using whatever you like to use for reading
> >usenet news, ay.

> Agreed - its help/about says feb 15 1997.
> It's still fast and reliable and running at work on our XP system (which I
> have found stable and reliable). I regulaly use notepad for the same
> reason (and because it discards all formatting in one easy lesson ).
> I'm hoping NXS will continue to run when we "upgrade" to win 7 64 bit. I'm
> not holding my breath however.
> I've experimented briefly with outlook express (horrible) and even more
> briefly with google groups (so bad, words cannot begin to express my hatred
> of it ).

Microplanet Gravity is still up on sourceforge I believe. I think it's a
very nice nntp client in its current form. Certainly runs on win7 64.
The maintainer is not interested in binaries, so those bits of code are
old, old, old, but everything else is pretty slick (i.e. fast and not
overly complicated and reliable).

-P.

EMB

On 19/02/2013 1:14 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> Agreed - its help/about says feb 15 1997.
> It's still fast and reliable and running at work on our XP system (which I
> have found stable and reliable). I regulaly use notepad for the same
> reason (and because it discards all formatting in one easy lesson ).

Notepad++ is well worth a look.

> I'm hoping NXS will continue to run when we "upgrade" to win 7 64 bit. I'm
> not holding my breath however.
> I've experimented briefly with outlook express (horrible) and even more
> briefly with google groups (so bad, words cannot begin to express my hatred
> of it ).

*If* you hated Outhouse Express you'll probably hate Thunderbird too,
but it's worth having a look at, and there's a lot of plugins and tweaks
to make it less obnoxious.

Mike Dee

Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mike Dee
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>>[...]
>>> .. doesn't sound likely when you read it though, does it.

>>Please note my "just kidding" smiley up there, Bruce

> I did. I suspect you struggled to type it too.

I think that with "Metro" as a default Windows OS desktop on a PC,
Microsoft has shot itself through both feet and gave itself a double
knee-capping while it was at it...

....They aught to turn around and say "Sorry folks, it was all our
fault. Here's the PC desktop you really should've got. Now please
excuse us while we from the management think-tank all go out and commit
hari-kari".

> I read somewhere recently (might even have been here... but in
> case it wasn't) ...
> Microsoft products suck. The day Microsoft products do not suck
> will be the day they start making vacuum cleaners.
>
> Gave me some minutes of amusement.

Could be some truth in there

With their announcement that they are locking in their bread-n-butter
Office suite to a single PC, there's little chance of them not sucking
at something in the near future.

>>Bruce, News Xpress 2.01... What OS are you using for this? My nr
>>is based *heavily* on News Xpress code, and _it_ is long in the
>>tooth. Anyways... Kudos to you for using whatever you like to use
>>for reading usenet news, ay.

> Agreed - its help/about says feb 15 1997.
> It's still fast and reliable and running at work on our XP system
> (which I have found stable and reliable). I regulaly use notepad
> for the same reason (and because it discards all formatting in one
> easy lesson ). I'm hoping NXS will continue to run when we
> "upgrade" to win 7 64 bit. I'm not holding my breath however.

There is a good chance that nx 2 will run on Win 7 64 bit if you
install it into its own folder under C:\ as in C:\NewsExpress or
similar. Its what we had to do to get Xnews to work properly in Vista &
newer. By avoiding the Windows default Programs folder for apps, all
together.

> I've experimented briefly with outlook express (horrible) and even
> more briefly with google groups (so bad, words cannot begin to
> express my hatred of it ).

Well... there is Xnews to consider of course...

A quote from Xnew's author:
"I'm a fan of NewsXpress so I liberally stole ideas from that program.
NX users should find Xnews familiar. That said, Xnews is not
NewsXpress. I didn't try to clone it. I have my own weird ideas of
doing things. Although Xnews may bear some resemblance to NX, it has
some features the latter doesn't while lacking others."

Cheers

--
dee

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>Microplanet Gravity is still up on sourceforge I believe. I think it's a
>very nice nntp client in its current form. Certainly runs on win7 64.
>The maintainer is not interested in binaries, so those bits of code are
>old, old, old, but everything else is pretty slick (i.e. fast and not
>overly complicated and reliable).

This I will file ... in case.

Thanks

Bruce Sinclair

In article <kfv3hu$26c$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 19/02/2013 1:14 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> Agreed - its help/about says feb 15 1997.
>> It's still fast and reliable and running at work on our XP system (which I
>> have found stable and reliable). I regulaly use notepad for the same
>> reason (and because it discards all formatting in one easy lesson ).

>Notepad++ is well worth a look.

? Sounds like it would have formatting (a bite like write ?). How's it
different ?

>> I'm hoping NXS will continue to run when we "upgrade" to win 7 64 bit. I'm
>> not holding my breath however.
>> I've experimented briefly with outlook express (horrible) and even more
>> briefly with google groups (so bad, words cannot begin to express my hatred
>> of it ).

>*If* you hated Outhouse Express you'll probably hate Thunderbird too,
>but it's worth having a look at, and there's a lot of plugins and tweaks
>to make it less obnoxious.

Probably the most similar to NXS news reader I've seen has been pan. I
haven't played with it much, but it looks fast, easy to use and fast (those
being my only requirements for s/w). Oh yes ... and it has to work too.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mike Dee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>Well... there is Xnews to consider of course...
>
>A quote from Xnew's author:
>"I'm a fan of NewsXpress so I liberally stole ideas from that program.
>NX users should find Xnews familiar. That said, Xnews is not
>NewsXpress. I didn't try to clone it. I have my own weird ideas of
>doing things. Although Xnews may bear some resemblance to NX, it has
>some features the latter doesn't while lacking others."

This too I shall file ... in case.

Thanks