Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need Modern Stand Alone Photo Image Organizer/Album Maker/Slide Show Maker

Need Modern Stand Alone Photo Image Organizer/Album Maker/Slide Show Maker

JOHNCHAP2

For nearly 10 years have been using product Photo Album ver 6.05 that does it all. Can be burned to a disk with the images and run stand alone, so itis great for sharing. It does everything -- a slide show, and one-at-a-time image show controlled by the mouse, or can be run from thumbnails. The user/viewer can choose which of the viewing methods s/he wants to use when they are ready to view the images. It can handle multiple albums such as a different album for each day on a trip. It is relatively easy to use, as well. Its only real problem is that it contains out-of-date and/or unsophisticated jpg rendering software which tends to emphasize image noise. What looks great in photoshop in terms of visible noise may (or may not) look noisy with Photo Album.

I have been looking for several years for a replacement since there have been no upgrades to my Photo Album since 2003, but the only thing that comes close in terms of capability is Flip Album, but the flipping pages really annoy me.

Anyone know of anything to recommend that I can look at?

JOHNCHAP2

Footnote: The finished product needs to be shareable, as with a CD or data DVD. Want a copy of my trip to XXXX? I will send you a disk that will run standalone.

me

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 16:51:18 -0800 (PST), JOHNCHAP2
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For nearly 10 years have been using product Photo Album ver 6.05 that does it all.

Can be burned to a disk with the images and run stand alone, so it is
great for sharing.
It does everything -- a slide show, and one-at-a-time image show
controlled by the mouse, or can be run from thumbnails. The
user/viewer can choose which of the viewing methods s/he wants to use
when they are ready to view the images. It can handle multiple albums
such as a different album for each day on a trip. It is relatively
easy to use, as well. Its only real problem is that it contains
out-of-date and/or unsophisticated jpg rendering software which tends
to emphasize image noise. What looks great in photoshop in terms of
visible noise may (or may not) look noisy with Photo Album.

>I have been looking for several years for a replacement since there have been no upgrade

s to my Photo Album since 2003, but the only thing that comes close in
terms of capability is Flip Album, but the flipping pages really annoy
me.

>Anyone know of anything to recommend that I can look at?

You don't mention how you want it to run? On what OS?

For cross-platform support that runs under any browser with javascript
see the JAlbum software (not the web site based stuff) at
http://jalbum.net/en/software;jsessi...g3pqlqf1y55u69

For Windoze only also consider Irfanview.
http://www.irfanview.com/

Peter Jason

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For nearly 10 years have been using product Photo Album ver 6.05 that does it all. Can be burned to a disk with the images and run stand alone, so it is great for sharing. It does everything -- a slide show, and one-at-a-time image show controlled by the mouse, or can be run from thumbnails. The user/viewer can choose which of the viewing methods s/he wants to use when they are ready to view the images. It can handle multiple albums such as a different album for each day on a trip. It is relatively easy to use, as well. Its only real problem is that it contains out-of-date and/or unsophisticated jpg rendering software which tends to emphasize image noise. What looks great in photoshop in terms of visible noise may (or may not) look noisy with Photo Album.
>
>I have been looking for several years for a replacement since there have been no upgrades to my Photo Album since 2003, but the only thing that comes close in terms of capability is Flip Album, but the flipping pages really annoy me.
>
>Anyone know of anything to recommend that I can look at?

Lightroom 4 has a good database easy to use.

Also, it has a "Photobook" built in that I haven't
tried yet.