Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Fairly OT: Why "flufl"?

Fairly OT: Why "flufl"?

Chris Angelico

This isn't particularly related to the post I'm quoting, it's more a
point of curiosity.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Joćo Bernardo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
Re: [Python-ideas] constant/enum type in stdlib
> I have my own implementation with a basic api somewhat borrowed from
> flufl.enum (plus a lot of other stuff)...

What is the origin of the term FLUFL? It's referenced in PEP 401 about
the retirement of the BDFL and the appointment of Barry Warsaw as
Guido's successor. Is that where the expression FLUFL originated, or
is "Friendly Language Uncle For Life" a backformation?

This might be more of a personal question for Barry, in the same way
that asking me why I'm "Rosuav" wouldn't be a list question, but I'm
wondering if there's something more Python to it.

Just a point of random curiosity!

ChrisA

nn

On Feb 4, 10:10*am, Chris Angelico <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This isn't particularly related to the post I'm quoting, it's more a
> point of curiosity.
>
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Joćo Bernardo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Re: [Python-ideas] constant/enum type in stdlib
>
> > I have my own implementation with a basic api somewhat borrowed from
> > flufl.enum (plus a lot of other stuff)...

> What is the origin of the term FLUFL? It's referenced in PEP 401 about
> the retirement of the BDFL and the appointment of Barry Warsaw as
> Guido's successor. Is that where the expression FLUFL originated, or
> is "Friendly Language Uncle For Life" a backformation?
>
> This might be more of a personal question for Barry, in the same way
> that asking me why I'm "Rosuav" wouldn't be a list question, but I'm
> wondering if there's something more Python to it.
>
> Just a point of random curiosity!
>
> ChrisA

My guess is that it originated with PEP 401, and that FLUFL ("Friendly
Language Uncle For Life") were created as humorous take on the equally
silly title of BDFL ("Benevolent Dictator For Life").

Simon Hayward

On Feb 4, 2013 4:27 PM, "nn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 10:10 am, Chris Angelico <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > This isn't particularly related to the post I'm quoting, it's more a
> > point of curiosity.
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM, JoĆ£o Bernardo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > Re: [Python-ideas] constant/enum type in stdlib
> >
> > > I have my own implementation with a basic api somewhat borrowed from
> > > flufl.enum (plus a lot of other stuff)...

> > What is the origin of the term FLUFL? It's referenced in PEP 401 about
> > the retirement of the BDFL and the appointment of Barry Warsaw as
> > Guido's successor. Is that where the expression FLUFL originated, or
> > is "Friendly Language Uncle For Life" a backformation?
> >
> > This might be more of a personal question for Barry, in the same way
> > that asking me why I'm "Rosuav" wouldn't be a list question, but I'm
> > wondering if there's something more Python to it.
> >
> > Just a point of random curiosity!
> >
> > ChrisA

> My guess is that it originated with PEP 401, and that FLUFL ("Friendly
> Language Uncle For Life") were created as humorous take on the equally
> silly title of BDFL ("Benevolent Dictator For Life").

Barry talks about the origin of "flufl" at the end of this radio free
python podcast.

http://radiofreepython.com/episodes/10/