Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Does the c++ language define the term "type"?

Does the c++ language define the term "type"?

heideggm@googlemail.com

I searched through recent drafts of the ISO/IEC standards for the c++ language and I couldn't find a short, formal definition of the term "type". Is it present somewhere or is the definition so universally known that it simply wasn't deemed necessary?

Bart van Ingen Schenau

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 18:41:00 -0800, heideggm wrote:

> I searched through recent drafts of the ISO/IEC standards for the c++
> language and I couldn't find a short, formal definition of the term
> "type". Is it present somewhere or is the definition so universally
> known that it simply wasn't deemed necessary?

Given that there is an entire section devoted to types ([basic.types];
3.9 in C++03), I would go for a third possibility: It was deemed/found to
be impossible to create a succinct, yet accurate, formal definition of
the term "type".

Bart v Ingen Schenau