Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > jdk 1.7.0_13 is out

jdk 1.7.0_13 is out

Roedy Green

jdk 1.7.0_13 is out. There was no version 1.7.0_12

release note say there are 50! security fixes.

Also updates Timezone data. I heard that Olsen was in legal trouble
with some astrology company claiming exclusive right to tz data. I
gather Oracle must have helped him get them off his back.
time.
~ Tom Cargill Ninety-ninety Law

Lew

Roedy Green wrote:
> Also updates Timezone data. I heard that Olsen [sic] was in legal trouble

Olson

> with some astrology company claiming exclusive right to tz data. I

Astrolabe. GIYF.

> gather Oracle must have helped him get them off his back.

EFF.

And ICANN.

Not Oracle, who had nothing to do with it.
https://www.eff.org/press/releases/e...-zone-database

GIYF.
WIYF.

--
Lew

Arne Vajh°j

On 2/1/2013 6:12 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> Also updates Timezone data. I heard that Olsen was in legal trouble
> with some astrology company claiming exclusive right to tz data. I
> gather Oracle must have helped him get them off his back.

That issue was running September 2011 - February 2012. It never went
to trial. Oracle was not involved (no reason for them as the database
is not Java specific).

Its only recent relevance and Java relevance is that somebody
posted the story to cljp with a link to page with misinformation
about the case.

That page http://mindprod.com/jgloss/timezone.html has still
not been corrected.

Which can be considered a tiny scandal in itself.

But there is no problem with the Olson TZ DB.

Arne

Roedy Green

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 15:26:56 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>

>Not Oracle, who had nothing to do with it.
>https://www.eff.org/press/releases/e...-zone-database

Sanity prevails. Properly Astrolabe should compensate Olson for
jerking him around. I very much enjoyed reading that story. I was
worried they might screw up Java TimeZones.

On 2/1/2013 8:37 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 15:26:56 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> Not Oracle, who had nothing to do with it.
>> https://www.eff.org/press/releases/e...-zone-database

> Sanity prevails. Properly Astrolabe should compensate Olson for
> jerking him around. I very much enjoyed reading that story. I was
> worried they might screw up Java TimeZones.

Note that Fredrik Jonsson posted the exact same link
here February 23rd 2012.

Arne