Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > what is the deal with nonopay

what is the deal with nonopay

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
> On 6/02/2013 2:12 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:

>>> Datacom were offering the Peoplesoft payroll system.
>>> Owned by Oracle.

>> That explains why it worked so well then. Larry didn't get to be
>> that rich by offering shoddy products.
>>

> Datacom offered it for the new tender, not their old system.

Thanks.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

David Goodwin

On Feb 6, 11:36*am, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 6/02/2013 2:12 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
> >> Datacom were offering the Peoplesoft payroll system.
> >> Owned by Oracle.

> > That explains why it worked so well then. Larry didn't get to be that rich
> > by offering shoddy products.

> Datacom offered it for the new tender, not their old system.

I had heard this reported and I have to assume it was an error. I
would be surprised if Datacom decided to offer a competitors product
instead of their own. Do you have a reference?

Datacom writes their own payroll software. Why wouldn't they sell the
MoE systems successor - the flash new payroll system they wrote only a
few years ago?

victor

On 7/02/2013 6:51 p.m., David Goodwin wrote:
> On Feb 6, 11:36 am, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> That explains why it worked so well then. Larry didn't get to be that rich
>>> by offering shoddy products.

>> Datacom offered it for the new tender, not their old system.

> I had heard this reported and I have to assume it was an error. I
> would be surprised if Datacom decided to offer a competitors product
> instead of their own. Do you have a reference?
>
> Datacom writes their own payroll software. Why wouldn't they sell the
> MoE systems successor - the flash new payroll system they wrote only a
> few years ago?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educ...Novopay-fiasco
"... according to briefing documents, emails and memos released on
Friday under the Official Information Act."

"TIMELINE . . .

In 2004 the ministry requested tenders for a new schools payroll
provider after a 2003 review of operations found the current provider
Datacom posed a high risk.

The contract was given to Talent2 in 2005. An independent review the
same year found Datacom's payroll had been upgraded and was no longer
"high risk", so plans were scrapped.

Tenders were requested again in 2007 when Datacom announced it would not
be maintaining its payroll after 2011.

Eleven tenders were received for the $30 million contract including
Datacom which proposed the Peoplesoft payroll, and Talent2, which
proposed its own Novopay system and subsequently took the
taxpayer-funded contract in 2008."

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
> On 7/02/2013 6:51 p.m., David Goodwin wrote:

>>> Datacom offered it for the new tender, not their old system.

>> I had heard this reported and I have to assume it was an error. I
>> would be surprised if Datacom decided to offer a competitors product
>> instead of their own. Do you have a reference?
>>
>> Datacom writes their own payroll software. Why wouldn't they sell the
>> MoE systems successor - the flash new payroll system they wrote only
>> a few years ago?
>>

> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educ...Novopay-fiasco
> "... according to briefing documents, emails and memos released on
> Friday under the Official Information Act."
>
> "TIMELINE . . .
>
> In 2004 the ministry requested tenders for a new schools payroll
> provider after a 2003 review of operations found the current provider
> Datacom posed a high risk.
>
> The contract was given to Talent2 in 2005. An independent review the
> same year found Datacom's payroll had been upgraded and was no longer
> "high risk", so plans were scrapped.
>
> Tenders were requested again in 2007 when Datacom announced it would
> not be maintaining its payroll after 2011.
>
> Eleven tenders were received for the $30 million contract including
> Datacom which proposed the Peoplesoft payroll, and Talent2, which
> proposed its own Novopay system and subsequently took the
> taxpayer-funded contract in 2008."

Thanks for that. So it's going to cost $100 million (minister, on news a few
days ago) to fix a $30 million system? Crazy!
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

JohnO

On Monday, 4 February 2013 21:55:19 UTC+13, EMB wrote:
> On 4/02/2013 4:08 p.m., JohnO wrote:
>
> > On Monday, 4 February 2013 13:15:33 UTC+13, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >> On Saturday, 2 February 2013 17:46:45 UTC+13, geoff wrote:

> >> [snip]

> >> Ask Chris Carter, who signed off on the deal in 2008 as one of his acts as Minister of Education, and the Secretary of Education, Karen Sewell.

> > Carter's partner is/was a school principal. How ironic.

> I guess Carter's ****ing him at work and at home.

Now now!

Last I heard Carter had weedled his way into a UN job and got posted to Afghanistan. Be nasty if he fell into the hands of the Taliban - those chappies are a bit on the homophobic side.

David Goodwin

On Feb 8, 3:19*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:

> >> I had heard this reported and I have to assume it was an error. I
> >> would be surprised if Datacom decided to offer a competitors product
> >> instead of their own. Do you have a reference?

> >> Datacom writes their own payroll software. Why wouldn't they sell the
> >> MoE systems successor - the flash new payroll system they wrote only
> >> a few years ago?

> >http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educ...ng-friction-re...
> > "... according to briefing documents, emails and memos released on
> > Friday under the Official Information Act."

> > "TIMELINE . . .

> > In 2004 the ministry requested tenders for a new schools payroll
> > provider after a 2003 review of operations found the current provider
> > Datacom posed a high risk.

> > The contract was given to Talent2 in 2005. An independent review the
> > same year found Datacom's payroll had been upgraded and was no longer
> > "high risk", so plans were scrapped.

> > Tenders were requested again in 2007 when Datacom announced it would
> > not be maintaining its payroll after 2011.

> > Eleven tenders were received for the $30 million contract including
> > Datacom which proposed the Peoplesoft payroll, and Talent2, which
> > proposed its own Novopay system and subsequently took the
> > taxpayer-funded contract in 2008."

> Thanks for that. So it's going to cost $100 million (minister, on news a few
> days ago) to fix a $30 million system? Crazy!

I believe the $100m covered implementing and operating the system for
the next 10 years or something. Actually getting the system running
properly is separate (but I'd hope it comes out of the $30m
implementation cost).

AMD64 or Semperon, deal or no deal? Tad Confused Computer Information 7 04-13-2006 05:43 PM
deal or no deal rbt Python 7 12-28-2005 08:57 PM
2 for 1 deal on 70-270 jb Microsoft Certification 1 04-07-2005 01:53 AM
Newbie Help: How do I deal with variable length vectors? roninn@gmail.com VHDL 5 03-28-2005 12:33 PM
simple programs to deal with data format, data synchronisation Ram VHDL 1 02-24-2005 05:34 PM

Advertisments