Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Apple brings the nanny state to the computer world

Apple brings the nanny state to the computer world

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, MC <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> It does not matter who will use it. The point is that whoever does want
> to use it will be denied doing so.

including hackers who could take advantage of one of the security
exploits and compromise your machine.

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Much of the content on the web is Java-enabled.

no it isn't.

> Use a product like No
> Script and you can control it, but you will not be able to read/watch
> a lot of what is out there.

that's for java *script*, not java.

wrote:

> Macs are, indeed, for the lazy comuter literate who require everything
> done for them or need to be told what they can and cannot do.

nonsense.

> Not long now and Apple will cut off the internet and have their own
> "internet". Sites of which will only contain content which users will
> be told how wonderful Apple is and how Apple products will change your
> life for the better and make you into a better person.

more idiocy.

wrote:

> Thing is, I prefer freedom in how I use my computer and what I use it
> for. Apple seem to only want you to do with there products what they
> say you can.

nonsense. where do people come up with this garbage?

anyone can do anything with apple products. in fact, they can often do
*more* than with other products.

MC

nospam wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, MC <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > It does not matter who will use it. The point is that whoever does
> > want to use it will be denied doing so.

> including hackers who could take advantage of one of the security
> exploits and compromise your machine.

OK, let's shut all shops and banks, just in case they are robbed.
Let's disconnect all ovens, just in case someone burns a cake. Let's
block java form being used on all our machines, just in case .... oh,
hang on ... we have.

wrote:

> > > It does not matter who will use it. The point is that whoever does
> > > want to use it will be denied doing so.

> > including hackers who could take advantage of one of the security
> > exploits and compromise your machine.

> OK, let's shut all shops and banks, just in case they are robbed.
> Let's disconnect all ovens, just in case someone burns a cake. Let's
> block java form being used on all our machines, just in case .... oh,
> hang on ... we have.

more idiocy.

let's just eliminate the requirement for smoke detectors. so what if
you burn a cake and the house burns down. after all, it's your house.
bummer about the kids who lost their lives in the fire though.

let's also eliminate vehicle inspections too. so what if you drive a
shitbox that pollutes and has defective brakes.

the reality is that most people are not going to follow what security
exploits are discovered and what to do about it. they wouldn't even
know where to start. having exploits automatically patched is a *good*
thing. why anyone would say otherwise is baffling. absolutely baffling.

nevertheless, if you really want be stupid and run a machine with known
unpatched security exploits, you can still do that. just turn off the
auto-update mechanism and you'll have exactly what you want, a machine
that can be easily compromised. it's just one click away. make sure you
have an up to date backup and don't keep any banking info on it.

MC

nospam wrote:

> > > including hackers who could take advantage of one of the security
> > > exploits and compromise your machine.

> > OK, let's shut all shops and banks, just in case they are robbed.
> > Let's disconnect all ovens, just in case someone burns a cake.
> > Let's block java form being used on all our machines, just in case
> > .... oh, hang on ... we have.

> more idiocy.

<ramble snipped>

To be perfectly honest, I do not care whether Apple owners love their
Apple machines, good luck to you all. However, it seems these same
people do not like others disliking, for whatever reasons, the products
they revere so much. They are not happy to accept there are those who
do not like Apple products so much so that they feel the need to
justify (maybe to themselves, as nobody else cares) why they have
bought into the cult, even down to inferring that non Apple owning
people are idiots. Maybe it's a guilt thing but it sounds a bit like
Scientology to me ).
Sad, isn't it.

wrote:

> To be perfectly honest, I do not care whether Apple owners love their
> Apple machines, good luck to you all. However, it seems these same
> people do not like others disliking, for whatever reasons, the products
> they revere so much. They are not happy to accept there are those who
> do not like Apple products so much so that they feel the need to
> justify (maybe to themselves, as nobody else cares) why they have
> bought into the cult, even down to inferring that non Apple owning
> people are idiots. Maybe it's a guilt thing but it sounds a bit like
> Scientology to me ).
> Sad, isn't it.

more bullshit.

the problem is that the haters can't accept the fact that apple makes
competitive products and ones which people like to use, so much so that
they make up reasons to bash, ones that are flat out lies or actually
apply to other companies more than they do apple. oddly enough, the
bashers never point out the real problems.

when other companies, such as google or microsoft, do the same thing
apple does they get a free pass, but when apple does it, it's bash
time. hypocrisy at its finest.

remember the dell adamo? it was *more* expensive than the macbook air
and had an internal battery. did anyone bash dell? nope.

and then there's the motorola razr maxx and other android and windows
phones that have internal batteries. lots of products have internal
batteries, but only apple gets criticized. why is that?

<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7...-to-kiss-that-
removable-smartphone-battery-goodbye/>

What do the iPhone, Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, and Nokia Lumia 900
have in common? The fact that their batteries can't easily be removed.

MC

nospam wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, MC <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > To be perfectly honest, I do not care whether Apple owners love
> > their Apple machines, good luck to you all. However, it seems these
> > same people do not like others disliking, for whatever reasons, the
> > products they revere so much. They are not happy to accept there
> > are those who do not like Apple products so much so that they feel
> > the need to justify (maybe to themselves, as nobody else cares) why
> > they have bought into the cult, even down to inferring that non
> > Apple owning people are idiots. Maybe it's a guilt thing but it
> > sounds a bit like Scientology to me ).
> > Sad, isn't it.

> more bullshit.
>
> the problem is that the haters can't accept the fact that apple makes
> competitive products and ones which people like to use, so much so
> that they make up reasons to bash, ones that are flat out lies or
> actually apply to other companies more than they do apple. oddly
> enough, the bashers never point out the real problems.
>
> when other companies, such as google or microsoft, do the same thing
> apple does they get a free pass, but when apple does it, it's bash
> time. hypocrisy at its finest.
>
> remember the dell adamo? it was more expensive than the macbook air
> and had an internal battery. did anyone bash dell? nope.
>
> and then there's the motorola razr maxx and other android and windows
> phones that have internal batteries. lots of products have internal
> batteries, but only apple gets criticized. why is that?

<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7...-to-kiss-that-
> removable-smartphone-battery-goodbye/>
>
> What do the iPhone, Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, and Nokia Lumia 900
> have in common? The fact that their batteries can't easily be
> removed.

I rest my case...

wrote:

> > > To be perfectly honest, I do not care whether Apple owners love
> > > their Apple machines, good luck to you all. However, it seems these
> > > same people do not like others disliking, for whatever reasons, the
> > > products they revere so much. They are not happy to accept there
> > > are those who do not like Apple products so much so that they feel
> > > the need to justify (maybe to themselves, as nobody else cares) why
> > > they have bought into the cult, even down to inferring that non
> > > Apple owning people are idiots. Maybe it's a guilt thing but it
> > > sounds a bit like Scientology to me ).
> > > Sad, isn't it.

> > more bullshit.
> >
> > the problem is that the haters can't accept the fact that apple makes
> > competitive products and ones which people like to use, so much so
> > that they make up reasons to bash, ones that are flat out lies or
> > actually apply to other companies more than they do apple. oddly
> > enough, the bashers never point out the real problems.
> >
> > when other companies, such as google or microsoft, do the same thing
> > apple does they get a free pass, but when apple does it, it's bash
> > time. hypocrisy at its finest.
> >
> > remember the dell adamo? it was more expensive than the macbook air
> > and had an internal battery. did anyone bash dell? nope.
> >
> > and then there's the motorola razr maxx and other android and windows
> > phones that have internal batteries. lots of products have internal
> > batteries, but only apple gets criticized. why is that?
> >

> <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7...-to-kiss-that-
> > removable-smartphone-battery-goodbye/>
> >
> > What do the iPhone, Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, and Nokia Lumia 900
> > have in common? The fact that their batteries can't easily be
> > removed.

> I rest my case...

you don't have a case. i've proven you wrong in everything you've said.