Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Exacting Precision From Near or Afar: Nikon's Newest NIKKOR Lenses

Reply
Thread Tools

Exacting Precision From Near or Afar: Nikon's Newest NIKKOR Lenses

 
 
Trevor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2013

"PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:510c65aa$0$10826$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
> My younger daughter used to take care of an Akita for one of her
> neighbors, when they were out. One day she took the dog to an outdoor
> coffee shop, where she sat down with the Akita. Some guy made got closer
> than the dog thought safe. The dog went to full alert and stared at an
> imaginary point on the ground.. fortunately, this guy had the good sense
> not to cross that line.


Sad that non dog people cannot even go for a coffee without the risk of
being mauled though

Trevor.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2013
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 23:42:44 -0700, Wally <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:40:44 -0800, Savageduck
><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2013-01-31 19:19:06 -0800, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:54:17 -0500, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> : http://preview.tinyurl.com/bk7chrd
>>> :
>>> :
>>> : Nikon Continues to Expand Upon the NIKKOR Lens Lineup with the New
>>> : AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Super-Telephoto Lens and AF-S
>>> : NIKKOR18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Wide-Angle Lens
>>> :
>>> : MELVILLE, N.Y. Today, Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm
>>> : f/5.6E FL ED VR super-telephoto lens and AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm
>>> : f/3.5-4.5G ED ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, designed to assist
>>> : FX-format photographers in capturing their subjects with clarity and
>>> : precision. Specifically engineered for sports, wildlife and
>>> : photojournalists, the 800mm f/5.6 offers the longest focal length of
>>> : any NIKKOR autofocus (AF) lens, ...
>>>
>>> And how many zeros should we assume will appear in the price of that doggie?
>>> ;^)
>>>
>>> Bob

>>
>>3 zeros preceded by an "18".
>>
>>I decided some time back that if I had a need for exotic glass for a
>>weekend or a week, rental was the sensible way to go.

>
>Florida is a birder's paradise, and I would love to be let loose there
>with a 500 or 600 or 800mm lens. Buying could not be justified, nor
>would it be easy transporting big lenses by air together with their
>tripods and gimbal heads. So renting would seem to be the answer. But
>just try finding big glass for rent in Miami. I have and failed.
>
>W


You should tap Florida contacts. The Lens Depot is a sponsor of the
Orlando Camera Club (of which I am a member) and they rent lenses up
to 500mm for both Nikon and Canon.

http://thelensdepot.com/shopping/sta...browse=1&cat=9

Orlando's a bit of a ride from Miami, but close to birding sites like
the Viera Wetlands. There are some west coast birding sites not that
far from The Lens Depot's Tampa office.



--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nick c
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2013
On 2/1/2013 7:24 PM, Trevor wrote:
> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:510c65aa$0$10826$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>> My younger daughter used to take care of an Akita for one of her
>> neighbors, when they were out. One day she took the dog to an outdoor
>> coffee shop, where she sat down with the Akita. Some guy made got closer
>> than the dog thought safe. The dog went to full alert and stared at an
>> imaginary point on the ground.. fortunately, this guy had the good sense
>> not to cross that line.

>
> Sad that non dog people cannot even go for a coffee without the risk of
> being mauled though
>
> Trevor.
>
>


"Mauled" is it now, with not even a warning growl? Ones imagination
oftimes surfaces without bothering to think about what one is imagining.
It has been said, a dog may instinctively be a judge of someones
character, therefore, no dog should be approached without exercising
caution. There is a reason why a dog is said to be "man's best friend."
Perhaps a non dog person may not have experienced having such a best friend.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Trevor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2013

"nick c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:keiin7$5e9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2/1/2013 7:24 PM, Trevor wrote:
>> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:510c65aa$0$10826$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>>> My younger daughter used to take care of an Akita for one of her
>>> neighbors, when they were out. One day she took the dog to an outdoor
>>> coffee shop, where she sat down with the Akita. Some guy made got closer
>>> than the dog thought safe. The dog went to full alert and stared at an
>>> imaginary point on the ground.. fortunately, this guy had the good sense
>>> not to cross that line.

>>
>> Sad that non dog people cannot even go for a coffee without the risk of
>> being mauled though
>>

>
> "Mauled" is it now, with not even a warning growl? Ones imagination
> oftimes surfaces without bothering to think about what one is imagining.
> It has been said, a dog may instinctively be a judge of someones
> character, therefore, no dog should be approached without exercising
> caution. There is a reason why a dog is said to be "man's best friend."
> Perhaps a non dog person may not have experienced having such a best
> friend.



Knowing how many children have been killed in dog attacks here, and many
adults who have been seriously injured, I am not as prepared to forgive all
dogs and their inconsiderate owners. Perhaps you are one of the latter so
don't get that not everyone is as enamoured by your dog as you are?

Trevor.


 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2013
On 2/1/2013 8:19 PM, Savageduck wrote:

<snip>

> "Gypsy" made it to 16, and must have set me back a tidy sum over the
> years at the vet. None of it spent grudgingly. She was active up until
> her last day, when she just couldn't get started in the morning, and I
> had to take her on that drive.
>
> The one which completely tore me up was my six year old Lab "Roscoe" who
> just got destroyed by cancer of the kidneys. He was my baby, and I held
> him as he faded away on that table. This was us, with his mother on my
> feet, at Big Sur, in 1986.
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...%26Labs-cw.jpg >
>
>


my daughter's dog works, to help offset her bills.
There is a short commercial before she appears. Note she refused to keep
her reindeer antlers on. I am told that after the shoot she picked up
the antlers and brought them back to the person who put them on her.

<http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/865397/jingle-bells-holidaze-day-3.jhtml>

--
PeterN
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2013
On 2/1/2013 10:24 PM, Trevor wrote:
> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:510c65aa$0$10826$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>> My younger daughter used to take care of an Akita for one of her
>> neighbors, when they were out. One day she took the dog to an outdoor
>> coffee shop, where she sat down with the Akita. Some guy made got closer
>> than the dog thought safe. The dog went to full alert and stared at an
>> imaginary point on the ground.. fortunately, this guy had the good sense
>> not to cross that line.

>
> Sad that non dog people cannot even go for a coffee without the risk of
> being mauled though
>
> Trevor.
>
>

there was no risk if they didn't cross that line.

--
PeterN
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2013
On 2/2/2013 5:26 AM, Trevor wrote:
> "nick c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:keiin7$5e9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2/1/2013 7:24 PM, Trevor wrote:
>>> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:510c65aa$0$10826$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>>>> My younger daughter used to take care of an Akita for one of her
>>>> neighbors, when they were out. One day she took the dog to an outdoor
>>>> coffee shop, where she sat down with the Akita. Some guy made got closer
>>>> than the dog thought safe. The dog went to full alert and stared at an
>>>> imaginary point on the ground.. fortunately, this guy had the good sense
>>>> not to cross that line.
>>>
>>> Sad that non dog people cannot even go for a coffee without the risk of
>>> being mauled though
>>>

>>
>> "Mauled" is it now, with not even a warning growl? Ones imagination
>> oftimes surfaces without bothering to think about what one is imagining.
>> It has been said, a dog may instinctively be a judge of someones
>> character, therefore, no dog should be approached without exercising
>> caution. There is a reason why a dog is said to be "man's best friend."
>> Perhaps a non dog person may not have experienced having such a best
>> friend.

>
>
> Knowing how many children have been killed in dog attacks here, and many
> adults who have been seriously injured, I am not as prepared to forgive all
> dogs and their inconsiderate owners. Perhaps you are one of the latter so
> don't get that not everyone is as enamoured by your dog as you are?
>


Some dogs are poorly trained. Some people don't have the common sense to
ask if they can pet the dog. Some people are idiotic enough to try to
pet a service dog while it is working. Our collie was the world's worse
watchdog. (when our house was burglarized she probably held the
flashlight for them.) Yet, she intervened when she felt the kids were
threatened.


--
PeterN
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2013
On 2/2/2013 1:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-02-02 10:06:27 -0800, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 2/1/2013 8:19 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> "Gypsy" made it to 16, and must have set me back a tidy sum over the
>>> years at the vet. None of it spent grudgingly. She was active up until
>>> her last day, when she just couldn't get started in the morning, and I
>>> had to take her on that drive.
>>>
>>> The one which completely tore me up was my six year old Lab "Roscoe" who
>>> just got destroyed by cancer of the kidneys. He was my baby, and I held
>>> him as he faded away on that table. This was us, with his mother on my
>>> feet, at Big Sur, in 1986.
>>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...%26Labs-cw.jpg >
>>>
>>>

>>
>> my daughter's dog works, to help offset her bills.
>> There is a short commercial before she appears. Note she refused to
>> keep her reindeer antlers on. I am told that after the shoot she
>> picked up the antlers and brought them back to the person who put them
>> on her.
>>
>> <http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/865397/jingle-bells-holidaze-day-3.jhtml>

>
> There is an element of cruelty in that video which has nothing to do
> with the dog or the antlers.
>
>

I missed it. Please explain.

--
PeterN
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2013
On 2/2/2013 1:51 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-02-02 10:35:49 -0800, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 2/2/2013 1:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>>> On 2013-02-02 10:06:27 -0800, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>>
>>>> On 2/1/2013 8:19 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>>>>
>>>> <snip>
>>>>
>>>>> "Gypsy" made it to 16, and must have set me back a tidy sum over the
>>>>> years at the vet. None of it spent grudgingly. She was active up until
>>>>> her last day, when she just couldn't get started in the morning, and I
>>>>> had to take her on that drive.
>>>>>
>>>>> The one which completely tore me up was my six year old Lab
>>>>> "Roscoe" who
>>>>> just got destroyed by cancer of the kidneys. He was my baby, and I
>>>>> held
>>>>> him as he faded away on that table. This was us, with his mother on my
>>>>> feet, at Big Sur, in 1986.
>>>>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...%26Labs-cw.jpg >
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> my daughter's dog works, to help offset her bills.
>>>> There is a short commercial before she appears. Note she refused to
>>>> keep her reindeer antlers on. I am told that after the shoot she
>>>> picked up the antlers and brought them back to the person who put them
>>>> on her.
>>>>
>>>> <http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/865397/jingle-bells-holidaze-day-3.jhtml>
>>>>
>>>
>>> There is an element of cruelty in that video which has nothing to do
>>> with the dog or the antlers.
>>>
>>>

>> I missed it. Please explain.

>
> The human performance documented in the video was cruel beyond
> imagination, both visually and sonically.
> My remark had absolutely nothing to do with the fine canine appearance,
> and her opinion of what she had to endure.
>

That performance in not one that i would watch, unless it was our
granddog. She has also been in other videos, and commercials.



--
PeterN
 
Reply With Quote
 
nick c
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2013
On 2/2/2013 2:26 AM, Trevor wrote:
> "nick c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:keiin7$5e9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2/1/2013 7:24 PM, Trevor wrote:
>>> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:510c65aa$0$10826$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>>>> My younger daughter used to take care of an Akita for one of her
>>>> neighbors, when they were out. One day she took the dog to an outdoor
>>>> coffee shop, where she sat down with the Akita. Some guy made got closer
>>>> than the dog thought safe. The dog went to full alert and stared at an
>>>> imaginary point on the ground.. fortunately, this guy had the good sense
>>>> not to cross that line.
>>>
>>> Sad that non dog people cannot even go for a coffee without the risk of
>>> being mauled though
>>>

>>
>> "Mauled" is it now, with not even a warning growl? Ones imagination
>> oftimes surfaces without bothering to think about what one is imagining.
>> It has been said, a dog may instinctively be a judge of someones
>> character, therefore, no dog should be approached without exercising
>> caution. There is a reason why a dog is said to be "man's best friend."
>> Perhaps a non dog person may not have experienced having such a best
>> friend.

>
>
> Knowing how many children have been killed in dog attacks here, and many
> adults who have been seriously injured, I am not as prepared to forgive all
> dogs and their inconsiderate owners. Perhaps you are one of the latter so
> don't get that not everyone is as enamoured by your dog as you are?
>
> Trevor.
>
>



At the present time I don't have a dog to be enamored with but I've had
dogs (and other animals) that are more friendly and better company than
many people. Neither were they as idiotic nor neurotic as many people
can be. Indeed, there are dogs that are as unpredictable as people and
there are dogs that have been used to save lives. In fact, many civil
and federal agencies have come to rely upon dogs to do various helpful
tasks that are not practical or possible for humans to do. To fault an
entire specie of animals for the faults of a few without knowing a case
history is about as ridiculous as one can be. However, in your case,
your rant against dogs in general may be understandable as you may be
qualified and entitled to be known as one who is neurotic.













 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Efficiency of cheap macro lenses at near infrared? mianileng Digital Photography 18 11-22-2011 09:52 PM
Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR vs. Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?= Digital Photography 3 06-25-2006 01:43 PM
Please help identify this Nikkor Lens (AF Nikkor 35-105mm 1:3.5-4.5mm) GTABuySell Digital Photography 5 06-07-2004 04:39 PM
DSLR' that take Nikkor lenses? ArtKramr Digital Photography 21 12-13-2003 05:38 PM
mounting nikkor lenses FRbud35 Digital Photography 1 08-13-2003 05:55 PM



Advertisments