Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Not photography, but interesting art

Not photography, but interesting art

Robert Coe

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:01:42 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Jan 30, 4:31*pm, "David Hare-Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > PeterN wrote:
: > > On 1/30/2013 12:40 AM, RichA wrote:
: > >>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21234214
: >
: > > Very interesting work.
: > > It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo
: > > work look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make
: > > their photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.
: >
: > I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs. *I have
: > looked about but other than the materials used and some step-by-step images
: > showing drawings in progress I cannot find anything saying just how he
: > works.
: >
: > In some cases the image seems to show the perspective effects that you get
: > from using various focal length lenses. *For example, one portrait shows the
: > "big nose" effect of a face taken with a wide(ish) lens held close to the
: > subject but many show the slightly flat effect of a short telephoto a
: > distance back.
: >
: > If he does work from photos his work is remarkable enough, if he doesn't it
: > is even more so but then the question would be; if he has such command of
: > lighting and perspective why imitate that of the camera?
:
: Because we have enough abstract art from untalented people to last
: forever?

Amen.

Bob

Rob

On 1/02/2013 7:01 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Jan 30, 4:31 pm, "David Hare-Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> PeterN wrote:

>>> Very interesting work.
>>> It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo
>>> work look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make
>>> their photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.

>> I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs. I have
>> looked about but other than the materials used and some step-by-step images
>> showing drawings in progress I cannot find anything saying just how he
>> works.
>>
>> In some cases the image seems to show the perspective effects that you get
>> from using various focal length lenses. For example, one portrait shows the
>> "big nose" effect of a face taken with a wide(ish) lens held close to the
>> subject but many show the slightly flat effect of a short telephoto a
>> distance back.
>>
>> If he does work from photos his work is remarkable enough, if he doesn't it
>> is even more so but then the question would be; if he has such command of
>> lighting and perspective why imitate that of the camera?

> Because we have enough abstract art from untalented people to last
> forever?

Ain't that the truth!

Whisky-dave

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:12:46 AM UTC, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:52:54 -0500, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> wrote:
>
> : On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 08:31:53 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
>
> : <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> :
>
> : >PeterN wrote:
>
> : >> On 1/30/2013 12:40 AM, RichA wrote:
>
> : >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21234214
>
> : >>>
>
> : >>
>
> : >> Very interesting work.
>
> : >> It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo
>
> : >> work look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make
>
> : >> their photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.
>
> : >
>
> : >I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs. Ihave
>
> : >looked about but other than the materials used and some step-by-step images
>
> : >showing drawings in progress I cannot find anything saying just how he
>
> : >works.
>
> :
>
> : It states, in the clip, that he sometimes starts with a photograph but
>
> : often works from memory.
>

> Which puts him in the same class, in his skill area, with those guys who can
>
> tell you, in a couple of seconds, what day of the week Christmas falls onin
>
> the year 3517.

No it isn;t he has a photograpih memory it seems where as someone that knows what day Christmas falls on in the year 3517, uses calculation based algorighm I doubt his seen a 3517 calander well there's none on ebay presently

> : >In some cases the image seems to show the perspective effects that youget
>
> : >from using various focal length lenses. For example, one portrait shows the
>
> : >"big nose" effect of a face taken with a wide(ish) lens held close to the
>
> : >subject but many show the slightly flat effect of a short telephoto a
>
> : >distance back.
>
> : >
>
> : >If he does work from photos his work is remarkable enough, if he doesn't it
>
> : >is even more so but then the question would be; if he has such commandof
>
> : >lighting and perspective why imitate that of the camera?
>

> Because that commands attention. The video says that his pictures sell for
>
> upwards of 10,000. He's 27 years old. It's impossible to imagine beingthat
>
> young again, with that kind of talent. I can only dream that even one of my
>
> five grandchildren can somehow get off to such a start by that age.

The university where he studies was almost closed down by the govenment recently due to immigration concerns.

> Our 7-year-old grandson got an iPad for his birthday. He told Martha this
>
> afternoon that he hasn't downloaded many apps yet, but ran across several
>
> games that look interesting. When I was seven, I knew the alphabet, could
>
> recognize at least as many words as the average golden retriever, and knew
>
> where to catch the Drummond Street bus home (and what a nickel looked like,
>
> since that was the fare).

So did you know more or less than the 7 year old with the iPad ? as it's not clear whether or not you know more than he does or just difernt things which are relivant at the time.

> Bob

Rob

On 1/02/2013 11:02 PM, Whisky-dave wrote:
> [...]

>> young again, with that kind of talent. I can only dream that even one of my
>>
>> five grandchildren can somehow get off to such a start by that age.

> The university where he studies was almost closed down by the govenment recently due to immigration concerns.
>

>> Our 7-year-old grandson got an iPad for his birthday. He told Martha this
>>
>> afternoon that he hasn't downloaded many apps yet, but ran across several
>>
>> games that look interesting. When I was seven, I knew the alphabet, could
>>
>> recognize at least as many words as the average golden retriever, and knew
>>
>> where to catch the Drummond Street bus home (and what a nickel looked like,
>>
>> since that was the fare).

> So did you know more or less than the 7 year old with the iPad ? as it's not clear whether or not you know more than he does or just difernt things which are relivant at the time.

Just a thought: Its not so much relevant now but using a computer
(screen) will it be effecting the eyesight of the 7 year old for future
years?

I know its not helpful to me exercising my eyes, but makes them sore.

Whisky-dave

On Friday, February 1, 2013 12:19:04 PM UTC, Rob wrote:
> [...]

> > The university where he studies was almost closed down by the govenmentrecently due to immigration concerns.

> >> Our 7-year-old grandson got an iPad for his birthday. He told Martha this

> >> afternoon that he hasn't downloaded many apps yet, but ran across several

> >> games that look interesting. When I was seven, I knew the alphabet, could

> >> recognize at least as many words as the average golden retriever, and knew

> >> where to catch the Drummond Street bus home (and what a nickel looked like,

> >> since that was the fare).

> > So did you know more or less than the 7 year old with the iPad ? as it's not clear whether or not you know more than he does or just difernt things which are relivant at the time.

> Just a thought: Its not so much relevant now but using a computer
>
> (screen) will it be effecting the eyesight of the 7 year old for future

I would assume so in the same way that boks do or why is it that clever or people or geeks are porytrayed as wearing glasses ?
Kids at my school when I was 7-16 had glasses and there was no such thing as an iPad, in fact Apple didn't exist other than as a music corp.

> I know its not helpful to me exercising my eyes, but makes them sore.

I've heard that too perhaps you need classes, it's friday and I need one ortwo glasses too, but I'll probbely drink from the bottle

PeterN

On 1/31/2013 10:15 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:01:42 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : On Jan 30, 4:31 pm, "David Hare-Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : > PeterN wrote:
> : > > On 1/30/2013 12:40 AM, RichA wrote:
> : > >>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21234214
> : >
> : > > Very interesting work.
> : > > It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo
> : > > work look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make
> : > > their photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.
> : >
> : > I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs. I have
> : > looked about but other than the materials used and some step-by-step images
> : > showing drawings in progress I cannot find anything saying just how he
> : > works.
> : >
> : > In some cases the image seems to show the perspective effects that you get
> : > from using various focal length lenses. For example, one portrait shows the
> : > "big nose" effect of a face taken with a wide(ish) lens held close to the
> : > subject but many show the slightly flat effect of a short telephoto a
> : > distance back.
> : >
> : > If he does work from photos his work is remarkable enough, if he doesn't it
> : > is even more so but then the question would be; if he has such command of
> : > lighting and perspective why imitate that of the camera?
> :
> : Because we have enough abstract art from untalented people to last
> : forever?

If the abstract is from an untalented person, it may very well not be
art. Minimalists have filled up galleries, with statements posing as
art. Yet minimalism can also be art, even in photography. However all
of this leads to a discussion of "what is art." I leave that to another
thread.

> Amen.

I suspect we have more photographs masquerading as art, than
abstractions from untalented people.

--
PeterN

Rob

On 2/02/2013 3:25 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Friday, February 1, 2013 12:19:04 PM UTC, Rob wrote:

>>> No it isn;t he has a photograpih memory it seems where as someone that knows what day Christmas falls on in the year 3517, uses calculation based algorighm I doubt his seen a 3517 calander well there's none on ebay presently

>>> The university where he studies was almost closed down by the govenment recently due to immigration concerns.

>>> So did you know more or less than the 7 year old with the iPad ? as it's not clear whether or not you know more than he does or just difernt things which are relivant at the time.

>> Just a thought: Its not so much relevant now but using a computer
>>
>> (screen) will it be effecting the eyesight of the 7 year old for future
>>
>> years?

> I would assume so in the same way that boks do or why is it that clever or people or geeks are porytrayed as wearing glasses ?
> Kids at my school when I was 7-16 had glasses and there was no such thing as an iPad, in fact Apple didn't exist other than as a music corp.

No books are not backlit.

>> I know its not helpful to me exercising my eyes, but makes them sore.

> I've heard that too perhaps you need classes, it's friday and I need one or two glasses too, but I'll probbely drink from the bottle

Usually end up 12many.