Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Please provide a better explanation of tuples and dictionaries

Re: Please provide a better explanation of tuples and dictionaries

Mitya Sirenef

On 01/29/2013 09:55 PM, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have recently started learning Python (2.7.3) but need a better

explanation of how to use tuples and dictionaries.

> I am currently using "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz and David Ascher,

published by O'Reilly (ISBN 1-56592-464-9)--but I find the explanations
insufficient and the number of examples to be sparse. I do understand
some ANSI C programming in addition to Python (and the book often
wanders off into a comparison of C and Python in its numerous
footnotes), but I need a better real-world example of how tuples and
dictionaries are being used in actual Python code.

> Any recommendations of a better book that doesn't try to write such

compact and clever code for a learning book? Or, can an anyone provide
an example of more than a three-line example of a tuple or dictionary?

> The purpose of my learning Python in this case is not for enterprise

level or web-based application level testing at this point. I initially
intend to use it for Software QA Test Automation purposes.

> Thanks in advance for any replies.

It's not finished yet, but you may find my text-movie tutorial on
dicts useful:

http://lightbird.net/larks/tmovies/dicts.html

-m

Idleness is the mother of psychology. Friedrich Nietzsche