Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Just want a simple setup for a sipgate number to one analogue phone.

Just want a simple setup for a sipgate number to one analogue phone.

Theo Markettos

Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:46:10 +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:
>
> > One other option I might try is uelastix on a Raspberry Pi: I already
> > have a PAP2, I already have a Pi, and it might be more flexible than an
> > SPA3102 yet less painful than writing raw Asterisk.

> What does the Pi gain you? The PAP2T does all that was asked for.

....but it's not an alternative to an SPA3102, which was my derailment of this
thread

Theo

Graham.

On 30 Jan 2013 16:57:05 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:46:10 +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:
>>
>> > One other option I might try is uelastix on a Raspberry Pi: I already
>> > have a PAP2, I already have a Pi, and it might be more flexible than an
>> > SPA3102 yet less painful than writing raw Asterisk.

>> What does the Pi gain you? The PAP2T does all that was asked for.

>...but it's not an alternative to an SPA3102, which was my derailment of this
>thread
>
>Theo

It's certainly re whetted my appetite for Asterisk, I ran it on a
headless PC for a year but I really couldn't justify the running
costs.

I think I know what I want for my birthday, I am downloading the .tar
file as I type this.

brightside S9

On 29 Jan 2013 22:20:26 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:01:23 +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:
>
>> brightside S9 <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:
>>> Would anyone care to recommend a reliable ATA for a reasonable price,
>>> and easy / simple to configure. The ATA is to be connected to a LAN
>>> port of a Netgear DG834G.

>> Years ago the PAP2 used to do this job, and there were plenty floating
>> around. I picked one up at a car boot for a few quid. There appear to
>> be a number on ebay currently.
>>
>> On the subject, is there a more recent ATA at a decent price with the
>> functionality of an SPA3102 - ie supports multiple SIP providers
>> selected by dialplan?

>The SPA3102 is still current kit and very good - I bought one recently to
>'fill a gap'. About 50 from Amazon. The SPA112 is only 40, also current
>- that is all you need - the SPA3102 is overkill as you don't need the
>FXS port. Actually, the SPA112 has *two" FXO ports so you could have
>another VoIP number and have calls to that too.
>
>I like this kit - I also have an old SPA200, and the rather hefty SPA8000
>(still current too).

Thanks everybody. I ordered SPA112 from broadbandbuyer.

Just got to get my head round the setup. I'll take a good look at he
Sipgate setup guide.

--
brightside S9 S

Woody

"brightside S9" <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 29 Jan 2013 22:20:26 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>> Years ago the PAP2 used to do this job, and there were plenty
>>> floating
>>> around. I picked one up at a car boot for a few quid. There
>>> appear to
>>> be a number on ebay currently.
>>>
>>> On the subject, is there a more recent ATA at a decent price
>>> with the
>>> functionality of an SPA3102 - ie supports multiple SIP
>>> providers
>>> selected by dialplan?

>>The SPA3102 is still current kit and very good - I bought one
>>recently to
>>'fill a gap'. About 50 from Amazon. The SPA112 is only 40,
>>also current
>>- that is all you need - the SPA3102 is overkill as you don't
>>need the
>>FXS port. Actually, the SPA112 has *two" FXO ports so you could
>>have
>>another VoIP number and have calls to that too.
>>
>>I like this kit - I also have an old SPA200, and the rather
>>hefty SPA8000
>>(still current too).

> Thanks everybody. I ordered SPA112 from broadbandbuyer.
>
> Just got to get my head round the setup. I'll take a good look
> at he
> Sipgate setup guide.
>
> --
> brightside S9 S

You won't regret it.

And I didn't know about the Cisco/Linksys/Sipura sales thing
going on. Just goes to show what most people playing with voip
already knew - Sipura were/are good and Linksys was and still is
cr*p.

Bob Eager

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 21:29:51 +0000, brightside S9 wrote:

> On 29 Jan 2013 22:20:26 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Years ago the PAP2 used to do this job, and there were plenty floating
>>> around. I picked one up at a car boot for a few quid. There appear
>>> to be a number on ebay currently.
>>>
>>> On the subject, is there a more recent ATA at a decent price with the
>>> functionality of an SPA3102 - ie supports multiple SIP providers
>>> selected by dialplan?

>>The SPA3102 is still current kit and very good - I bought one recently
>>to 'fill a gap'. About £50 from Amazon. The SPA112 is only £40, also
>>current - that is all you need - the SPA3102 is overkill as you don't
>>need the FXS port. Actually, the SPA112 has *two" FXO ports so you could
>>have another VoIP number and have calls to that too.
>>
>>I like this kit - I also have an old SPA200, and the rather hefty
>>SPA8000 (still current too).

> Thanks everybody. I ordered SPA112 from broadbandbuyer.
>
> Just got to get my head round the setup. I'll take a good look at he
> Sipgate setup guide.

Drop me a line if you have questions; I have done a LOT with these.

Nick

On 31/01/2013 00:08, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> "brightside S9" <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have had a sipgate number for several years. It was once used or
>> producing emails from incoming calls. It is still working OK, I just
>> tested it.
>>
>> Due to SWMBO hogging the phone for hours at a time I need to use this
>> Sipgate number to allow incoming calls to this Sipgate number to ring
>> a second analogue phone connected to an ATA (no BT line will be
>> connected to this second phone).
>>
>> Would anyone care to recommend a reliable ATA for a reasonable price,
>> and easy / simple to configure. The ATA is to be connected to a LAN
>> port of a Netgear DG834G.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> brightside S9

> Just get a basic Siemens Gigaset - Dect and will connect to VOIP or the
> landline.

+1.

I had a Linksys 3102 and never got the sound quite right (echo), even
after considerable effort. Whereas my 685ip gigaset worked sound perfect
out of the box. It allows connections to multiple SIP providers,
connections to 6 Dect phones (including existing non Siemens ones).
Seperate Dect phones can make/receive simultaneous VOIP calls. Incoming
numbers can be assigned to specific phones or subsets of phones.

So good I no longer consider the landline support significant.

brightside S9

On 30 Jan 2013 23:28:30 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Thanks everybody. I ordered SPA112 from broadbandbuyer.
>>
>> Just got to get my head round the setup. I'll take a good look at he
>> Sipgate setup guide.

>Drop me a line if you have questions; I have done a LOT with these.

Thanks for the offer Bob.

I think I've managed to set it up OK. Ive followed the help on SPA112
configuration utility.

SPA 112- I get System light on solid, Internet light on solid and
phone 1 on hook on solid.

Looking at SPA112 Adapter configuration it shows:-
System status:
Elapsed time 45 minutes and counting.
SIP messages sent 12
SIP messages received 12
SIP Bytes sent 8031
SIP Bytes received 5363

Line 1 status:
Hook status ON
Registerd Staus REGISTERED
Lasr registration at 2/1/2013 05:04:46
Next Registration in 255s
Call 1 state IDLE
Call 1 tone NONE
Call 2 state IDLE
Call 2 tone NONE

Line 2 status - NOT rgeisterd (I having set it up)

Now of course the phone I'm using has a BT plug on it to RJ11 plug in
back of phone, RJ11 pins 3 & 4 to BT plug pins 2 & 5.

So I have replaced that lead with a RJ11 plug to RJ11 plug
pins 3 & 4 only wired.

Now according to the SPA112 configuration utility once I have checked
that the Line Status shows regitered, I should make a call to the voip
number and check the phone rings.

1. It doesn't ring.
2. Lifting receiver there is no dial tone
3. Lifting receiver the off hook indicator doesn't flash.

Replacing the RJ11 to BT plug lead in the phone and testing on BT
line, all is OK.

There was no lead for the phone in the box of bits delivered with the
SPA112 and I cant find out what pins are used in the RJ11 sockets in
the SPA112. I'm guessing that I'll need a lead RJ11 to RJ11 plug
bot not wired straight pin to pin. What do you use for the
connection?

Or the SPA112 is duff?

Thanks
--
brightside S9

Bob Eager

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:45:50 +0000, brightside S9 wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2013 23:28:30 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I think I've managed to set it up OK. Ive followed the help on SPA112
> configuration utility.
>
> SPA 112- I get System light on solid, Internet light on solid and phone
> 1 on hook on solid.

Does the on hook light go out when you lift the phone?

> Looking at SPA112 Adapter configuration it shows:-
> System status:
> Elapsed time 45 minutes and counting.
> SIP messages sent 12 SIP messages received 12 SIP Bytes sent 8031 SIP
> Bytes received 5363
>
> Line 1 status:
> Hook status ON Registerd Staus REGISTERED Lasr registration at 2/1/2013
> 05:04:46 Next Registration in 255s Call 1 state IDLE Call 1 tone NONE
> Call 2 state IDLE Call 2 tone NONE

And indeed does the hook status change if you lift the phone and refresh
the page?

> Now of course the phone I'm using has a BT plug on it to RJ11 plug in
> back of phone, RJ11 pins 3 & 4 to BT plug pins 2 & 5.
>
> So I have replaced that lead with a RJ11 plug to RJ11 plug pins 3 & 4
> only wired.

> There was no lead for the phone in the box of bits delivered with the
> SPA112 and I cant find out what pins are used in the RJ11 sockets in the
> SPA112. I'm guessing that I'll need a lead RJ11 to RJ11 plug bot not
> wired straight pin to pin. What do you use for the connection?

I use a little adaptor that plugs into the phone socket, with an RJ11
socket on its front. I think the RJ11 wiring is the problem....but see
above for my questions.

brightside S9

On 1 Feb 2013 13:57:06 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:45:50 +0000, brightside S9 wrote:
>
>> On 30 Jan 2013 23:28:30 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I think I've managed to set it up OK. Ive followed the help on SPA112
>> configuration utility.
>>
>> SPA 112- I get System light on solid, Internet light on solid and phone
>> 1 on hook on solid.

>Does the on hook light go out when you lift the phone?

No stays on solid - Should go to flashing state according to the
quick start guide. If the light is OFF it means Port Not Ready, again
according to the quick start guide . Phone port 2 light is off as not
configured but see further down.

>> Looking at SPA112 Adapter configuration it shows:-
>> System status:
>> Elapsed time 45 minutes and counting.
>> SIP messages sent 12 SIP messages received 12 SIP Bytes sent 8031 SIP
>> Bytes received 5363
>>
>> Line 1 status:
>> Hook status ON Registerd Staus REGISTERED Lasr registration at 2/1/2013
>> 05:04:46 Next Registration in 255s Call 1 state IDLE Call 1 tone NONE
>> Call 2 state IDLE Call 2 tone NONE

>And indeed does the hook status change if you lift the phone and refresh
>the page?

No, stays showing on hook.

>> Now of course the phone I'm using has a BT plug on it to RJ11 plug in
>> back of phone, RJ11 pins 3 & 4 to BT plug pins 2 & 5.
>>
>> So I have replaced that lead with a RJ11 plug to RJ11 plug pins 3 & 4
>> only wired.

>> There was no lead for the phone in the box of bits delivered with the
>> SPA112 and I cant find out what pins are used in the RJ11 sockets in the
>> SPA112. I'm guessing that I'll need a lead RJ11 to RJ11 plug bot not
>> wired straight pin to pin. What do you use for the connection?

>I use a little adaptor that plugs into the phone socket, with an RJ11
>socket on its front. I think the RJ11 wiring is the problem....but see
>above for my questions.

Also configured phone port 2. Same results. No dial tone and on hook
indications on SPA112 lights and in the configuration utility, Refresh
makes no difference.

Just routed around in my junk box and found a spare RJ11 to BT plug
cable that was orininall shipped with the netgear router. Hoping for a
bit of luck, plugged the RJ11 end into the SPA112 and the BT plug
into a BT double adapter, socket 1, and the phone with BT lead to RJ11
(that's the on that works on BT line) into the double adapter socket.

SPA - rj11 - cable[1] - btplug - bt double adapter- btplug - cable[2]
- RJ11 - phone.

[1] dont know the wiring in this, but 4 wires are presentat RJ11 end
[2]wired straight pins 3 & 4 only

No luck, just the same results as before for both phone ports.

--
brightside S9

Bob Eager

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 14:53:40 +0000, brightside S9 wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2013 13:57:06 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:45:50 +0000, brightside S9 wrote:
>>
>>> On 30 Jan 2013 23:28:30 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I think I've managed to set it up OK. Ive followed the help on SPA112
>>> configuration utility.
>>>
>>> SPA 112- I get System light on solid, Internet light on solid and
>>> phone 1 on hook on solid.

>>Does the on hook light go out when you lift the phone?

> No stays on solid - Should go to flashing state according to the quick
> start guide. If the light is OFF it means Port Not Ready, again
> according to the quick start guide . Phone port 2 light is off as not
> configured but see further down.

Should also go off when you lift the phone.

>>> Looking at SPA112 Adapter configuration it shows:-
>>> System status:
>>> Elapsed time 45 minutes and counting.
>>> SIP messages sent 12 SIP messages received 12 SIP Bytes sent 8031 SIP
>>> Bytes received 5363
>>>
>>> Line 1 status:
>>> Hook status ON Registerd Staus REGISTERED Lasr registration at
>>> 2/1/2013 05:04:46 Next Registration in 255s Call 1 state IDLE Call 1
>>> tone NONE Call 2 state IDLE Call 2 tone NONE

>>And indeed does the hook status change if you lift the phone and refresh
>>the page?
>>

> No, stays showing on hook.

Definitely on hook then!

Both of these indicate that the wiring is faulty...

> Also configured phone port 2. Same results. No dial tone and on hook
> indications on SPA112 lights and in the configuration utility, Refresh
> makes no difference.
>
> Just routed around in my junk box and found a spare RJ11 to BT plug
> cable that was orininall shipped with the netgear router. Hoping for a
> bit of luck, plugged the RJ11 end into the SPA112 and the BT plug into
> a BT double adapter, socket 1, and the phone with BT lead to RJ11
> (that's the on that works on BT line) into the double adapter socket.
>
> SPA - rj11 - cable[1] - btplug - bt double adapter- btplug - cable[2]
> - RJ11 - phone.
>
> [1] dont know the wiring in this, but 4 wires are presentat RJ11 end
> [2]wired straight pins 3 & 4 only
>
> No luck, just the same results as before for both phone ports.

These cables can be wired two different ways!