Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Steeples?

Steeples?

Tony Cooper

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 23:55:57 -0500, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:39:56 -0800, Savageduck
><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> When's "Steeples" due?

>>February 10, 2013
>>
>>> Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
>>> color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
>>> Catholic church.

>>With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
>>unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
>>be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
>>suitable images to contribute this time around.

>My submissions will be traditional steeple with spires, but I would
>include bell towers and mission towers in the mandate. Actually, a
>"steeple" is a tall tower and what we picture as a steeple is the
>tower plus the spire. It's still a steeple without the spire. Many
>steeples don't have spires.
>
>The word itself is from the Old English for "tower".

Just to add to this, here's another reject:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/Mt%...Est%201856.jpg

This is the Mount Zion Primitive Baptist Church built in 1896 near Mt
Dora, Florida. It's a steeple - a tower - but no spire. I don't
think a spire is a requirement at all. A Greek Orthodox church in
downtown Orlando has a tower with dome atop, and not a spire, and
that's a steeple.

One of the most famous movie scenes ("Vertigo")involved Jimmy Stewart
in the tower, or steeple, at Mission San Juan Bautista south of San
Francisco. Stewart played the role of a retired cop, too. It
should be right up your alley.

There is no spire at Mission San Juan Bautista.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Tony Cooper

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:43:10 +1100, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 29/01/2013 11:08 AM, PeterN wrote:
>> On 1/28/2013 4:25 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-01-19-103.jpg
>>> --
>>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
>>>

>> I have a problem going on a steeple chase.
>>

>I have some steeple chase racing images.

The steeplechase event is so-called because it was originally a
cross-country event where the race was from steeple-to-steeple.

"The first steeplechase is said to have been the result of a wager in
1752 between Cornelius O'Callaghan and Edmund Blake, racing four miles
(6 km) cross-country from Buttevant Church to St. Leger Church in
Doneraile, in Cork, Ireland." (From Wiki)

The steeplechase is one of the types of hunt racing. Steeplechases
involve hedges and water and ditches. The other type is the hurdles
which are just jumps over a bar and post obstacle.

This style of race is also called a "point-to-point". The races were
from the starting point to a destination point before specific courses
were set out.

In the US, "point-to-point" is the more common term used.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Whisky-dave

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:08:05 AM UTC, PeterN wrote:
> On 1/28/2013 4:25 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:24:18 -0500, Tony Cooper

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> When's "Steeples" due?

> >> Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good

> >> color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a

> >> Catholic church.

> > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-01-19-103.jpg

> > --

> > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

> I have a problem going on a steeple chase.

Why, they are pretty easy to catch they don;t move very fast if at all

would a picture of Fred Dibnah be OK for the SI ?

PeterN

On 1/28/2013 9:18 PM, Rob wrote:
> On 29/01/2013 11:54 AM, PeterN wrote:

>>> I have some steeple chase racing images.

>> I wonder if ANY OF these would qualify:
>>
>> <http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/brooklyn/coneyisland/steeplechasepier/index.htm>
>>

> That bloke in the garbage bin image - was looking for a handout!

Your pun meter msfired.

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 1/28/2013 11:48 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:54:12 -0500, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I have some steeple chase racing images.

>> I wonder if ANY OF these would qualify:
>>
>> <http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/brooklyn/coneyisland/steeplechasepier/index.htm>

> The blonde in image #3 may be causing a steeple.
>
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

May be?

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 1/29/2013 12:46 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 23:55:57 -0500, Tony Cooper
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:39:56 -0800, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> February 10, 2013

>>> With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
>>> unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
>>> be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
>>> suitable images to contribute this time around.

>> My submissions will be traditional steeple with spires, but I would
>> include bell towers and mission towers in the mandate. Actually, a
>> "steeple" is a tall tower and what we picture as a steeple is the
>> tower plus the spire. It's still a steeple without the spire. Many
>> steeples don't have spires.
>>
>> The word itself is from the Old English for "tower".

> Just to add to this, here's another reject:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/Mt%...Est%201856.jpg
>
> This is the Mount Zion Primitive Baptist Church built in 1896 near Mt
> Dora, Florida. It's a steeple - a tower - but no spire. I don't
> think a spire is a requirement at all. A Greek Orthodox church in
> downtown Orlando has a tower with dome atop, and not a spire, and
> that's a steeple.
>
> One of the most famous movie scenes ("Vertigo")involved Jimmy Stewart
> in the tower, or steeple, at Mission San Juan Bautista south of San
> Francisco. Stewart played the role of a retired cop, too. It
> should be right up your alley.
>
> There is no spire at Mission San Juan Bautista.

So to what do you aspire?

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:44:49 +0000, Graham <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:19:50 -0800, Savageduck,
><news:2013012908195088124-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom> expounded this
>theory:
>
>> There isn't much of a tower at San Juan Bautista either.
>> <
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Bautista.jpg
>>>

>> I had already used the adobe brick bell tower at Mission San Miguel in
>> a past SI.
>> < http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/138736617/original >

>How about if I submit some to help you all out? No shortage of
>steeples, spires, pinnacles or other pointed adornments to buildings
>etc here in England.

Sobriquet will take you up on that.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Tony Cooper

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 09:41:01 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-01-29 09:14:20 -0800, Graham <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 09:08:35 -0800, Savageduck,
>> <news:2013012909083582397-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom> expounded this
>> theory:
>>
>>> Thanks for the offer. I am sure I might be able to come up with
>>> something. Perhaps not quite what Bowser had in mind.
>>>
>>> Out here in California the historic construction was limited to short
>>> squat Jesuit priests building short, squat fortifications they called
>>> missions. The religious mission was secondary to the military one, and
>>> the served mainly as Spanish garrisons rather than Gothic houses of
>>> worship.
>>>
>>> Today the religious aspect is remembered and the military one discounted.

>> What's the form? All three images attached to one email or to
>> separate emails? I've read the rulz and that is the only point I'm
>> unclear about.

>I usually send the SI's "Big Giant Head" individual emails with the
>appropriate image attached. That way I can add notes, etc. for the
>individual images.
>I have no doubt that if all three images are attached to a single email
>and your email server doesn't choke there would be no issue on the
>receiving end.

I have always sent one email with three attachments. Never a problem.

>Just follow the SI labeling convention, I also use the label as the
>subject for my email:
>Steeples-Graham-01
>Steeples-Graham-02
>Steeples-Graham-03

I prefer titles: Steeples_ St Michael's_Graham
Steeples_Wee Free Church_Graham
Steeples_Westminster-Graham

If anyone bothers to comment, it makes it clear which image is being
discussed.

--

On 1/29/2013 3:55 PM, Graham wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:46:40 -0500, Tony Cooper,
> <news(E-Mail Removed) > expounded this
> theory:
>
>>> How about if I submit some to help you all out? No shortage of
>>> steeples, spires, pinnacles or other pointed adornments to buildings
>>> etc here in England.
>>>

>> Sobriquet will take you up on that.

> Oh dear

Just took a peak at your spires. Nice collection. It will be
interesting to see which ones you put in the SI.

--
PeterN

gregz

Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:39:56 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> When's "Steeples" due?

>> February 10, 2013
>>
>>> Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
>>> color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
>>> Catholic church.

>> With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
>> unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
>> be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
>> suitable images to contribute this time around.

> My submissions will be traditional steeple with spires, but I would
> include bell towers and mission towers in the mandate. Actually, a
> "steeple" is a tall tower and what we picture as a steeple is the
> tower plus the spire. It's still a steeple without the spire. Many
> steeples don't have spires.
>
> The word itself is from the Old English for "tower".
>

> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Steeple's often mask cell phone antennas.

Greg