Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Mixxx DJ app and Python

Mixxx DJ app and Python

David Hutto

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Ben <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This may not be too helpful, but I built a TCP server into the Mixxx application (in C++). I placed the server in ratecontroller (as I needed to vary the rate remotely). I then could send and receive TCP packets with a single board computer that ran a python client.

So you used a digital buffer region for your wave forms? How did you
handle the rest of the data; allocate memory, or delete if the data
became too lengthy?

--
Best Regards,
David Hutto

mikprog@gmail.com

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:45:18 PM UTC, Ben wrote:
> This may not be too helpful, but I built a TCP server into the Mixxx application (in C++). I placed the server in ratecontroller (as I needed to vary the rate remotely). I then could send and receive TCP packets with a single board computer that ran a python client.

Hi Ben,
this would be actually interesting to look at.
If you are not going to face problems, please send me the code.

Thanks,
Mik

mikprog@gmail.com

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:45:18 PM UTC, Ben wrote:
> This may not be too helpful, but I built a TCP server into the Mixxx application (in C++). I placed the server in ratecontroller (as I needed to vary the rate remotely). I then could send and receive TCP packets with a single board computer that ran a python client.

Hi Ben,
this would be actually interesting to look at.
If you are not going to face problems, please send me the code.

Thanks,
Mik

mikprog@gmail.com

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:42:07 PM UTC, David Hutto wrote:
[..]

> Well you can just use their(Mixx's) source code that they used from
>
> another wav form manipulation library(more than likely), after the
>
> trigger from the bluetooth. If you're talking voice, and music to
>
> sync, then either go with transmitting at the same, or take two
>
> receivers(one for each transmitter), and run them in unison on
>
> different frequencies, after they've been received..
>

> I've never tried this, but it seems logical.

Thanks David.
It seems that the code is in C++ so I should write Python wrappers myself, which could be interesting, but given the time frame I have is just not possible, Pity
However I was not going to transmit sounds, but just commands to mix the sounds that are already in the same machine were the Mixxx is going to run.
I hope I will have time to come back to it in future.

Thanks.
Mik

mikprog@gmail.com

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:42:07 PM UTC, David Hutto wrote:
[..]

> Well you can just use their(Mixx's) source code that they used from
>
> another wav form manipulation library(more than likely), after the
>
> trigger from the bluetooth. If you're talking voice, and music to
>
> sync, then either go with transmitting at the same, or take two
>
> receivers(one for each transmitter), and run them in unison on
>
> different frequencies, after they've been received..
>

> I've never tried this, but it seems logical.

Thanks David.
It seems that the code is in C++ so I should write Python wrappers myself, which could be interesting, but given the time frame I have is just not possible, Pity
However I was not going to transmit sounds, but just commands to mix the sounds that are already in the same machine were the Mixxx is going to run.
I hope I will have time to come back to it in future.

Thanks.
Mik

David Hutto

> Thanks David.
> It seems that the code is in C++ so I should write Python wrappers myself,

Or ctypes.
which could be interesting, but given the time frame I have is just
not possible, Pity
> However I was not going to transmit sounds, but just commands to mix the sounds that are already in the same machine were the Mixxx is going to run.

A filter is minutia in comparison of code

so it was always going to be a comand line app, with a python GUI, to
perform alterations on the wave forms?.

> I hope I will have time to come back to it in future.

Just a little practice, that makes every programmer listening scramble.

--
Best Regards,
David Hutto
CEO: http://www.hitwebdevelopment.com

alex23

On Jan 29, 1:10*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am thinking of driving a DJ application from Python.
> I am running Linux and I found the Mixxx app.
> Does anyone know if there are python bindings, or if this is possible at all?
> or does anyone have experience with another software that does the same DJ thing?

The simplest way I think would be to control Mixxx via midi, using
something like pyPortMidi:

http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~harrison/code.html

If that doesn't give you the full range of control you're after,
perhaps you could use ctypes to wrap Mixxx's code libraries?

MS Access DB used by both a local App and .net Web App JonnyD ASP .Net 16 10-31-2005 08:41 PM
[Newbie] Different of Smart Device App and ASP.Net Mobile Web App Rico ASP .Net 0 04-29-2005 01:35 PM
newbie question: embedding Python into a C++ app and calling app functions davout Python 0 08-04-2004 03:26 PM
win app and web app mimi ASP .Net 1 07-29-2004 03:19 AM
Is SOAP the best RPC to use between a Java app and a COM based app? TheRookie Java 0 01-19-2004 07:27 PM

Advertisments