Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > problem with feof ?

problem with feof ?

Les Cargill

James Kuyper

> Hey Barry,
>
> your comments are true - I've updated my code. However, I want to point out that your last comment related to traversing the list twice confused me a bit!
> The variable *current will not be set as a result of the loop to the last node, rather, it will point to NULL!

So re-write the loop so it saves the end position:
last_node = current;
current = current->next;

Then use last_node, rather than wasting time with a second pass through
the linked list.

> Simply setting the current->next = item; item->prev = current is not going to work. I believe the while condition should be changed in order to always point to the last item in the list.

That's not what he suggested.

I believe that the logic should be:

item->prev = current->prev;
if(current->prev)
current->prev->next = item;
item->next = current;
current->prev = item;

Changing current->next->prev is just wrong, and without it, there's no
need to check whether current->next is null.

> On Monday, January 28, 2013 10:23:35 PM UTC-6, Barry Schwarz wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 17:48:05 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>> Ben,

I strongly recommend finding a proper newsreader and connect to a proper
news server, rather than using Google Groups - among other annoyances
associated with Google Groups, it is doubling the empty lines in quoted
material. I use Thunderbird as my news reader, and I've subscribed to
eternal-september.org news server which is free. I'm quite happy with both,

a problem when using int feof(FILE *fp); kindrain C Programming 22 07-13-2008 02:40 PM
A question about fscanf and feof ! ehui928 C Programming 7 11-07-2006 01:48 AM
question about gets() and feof(). sunnyboyGuo@gmail.com C Programming 3 09-16-2005 05:36 PM
feof Joriveek C Programming 8 09-14-2005 06:21 PM
feof usage Mantorok Redgormor C Programming 28 09-29-2003 04:10 AM

Advertisments