Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > SmugMug vs ???

SmugMug vs ???

ps56k

I've used SmugMug for posting my vacation and school sporting events online.
It of course costs a yearly fee.

I'm wondering if the landscape has changed from when I joined SmugMug
several years ago,
and I should jump ship to one of the other services ?
I seem to recall a financial report that indicated one of those services
picked up the Kodak Sharing website,
and also seemed to offer a variety of features like creating photo
books/albums from the online gallery.

--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -

philo

On 01/24/2013 04:30 PM, ps56k wrote:
> I've used SmugMug for posting my vacation and school sporting events online.
> It of course costs a yearly fee.
>
> I'm wondering if the landscape has changed from when I joined SmugMug
> several years ago,
> and I should jump ship to one of the other services ?
> I seem to recall a financial report that indicated one of those services
> picked up the Kodak Sharing website,
> and also seemed to offer a variety of features like creating photo
> books/albums from the online gallery.

I know someone who uses SmugMug and it's fine...however just be sure to
check your options.

She sells photos through it, but in error allowed users to download full
resolution images...so if you do not want people to steal your property
be sure to just allow low-res.

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686

Rob

On 25/01/2013 11:44 AM, philo wrote:
> On 01/24/2013 04:30 PM, ps56k wrote:
>> I've used SmugMug for posting my vacation and school sporting events
>> online.
>> It of course costs a yearly fee.
>>
>> I'm wondering if the landscape has changed from when I joined SmugMug
>> several years ago,
>> and I should jump ship to one of the other services ?
>> I seem to recall a financial report that indicated one of those services
>> picked up the Kodak Sharing website,
>> and also seemed to offer a variety of features like creating photo
>> books/albums from the online gallery.
>>

> I know someone who uses SmugMug and it's fine...however just be sure to
> check your options.
>
> She sells photos through it, but in error allowed users to download full
> resolution images...so if you do not want people to steal your property
> be sure to just allow low-res.

Stealing photos is becoming a huge problem. places like flicker, smugmug
etc people thinks there all free to download. You can still download
image even with the transparent layer.

tonycooper214@gmail.com

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:30:18 -0600, "ps56k"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've used SmugMug for posting my vacation and school sporting events online.
>It of course costs a yearly fee.
>
>I'm wondering if the landscape has changed from when I joined SmugMug
>several years ago,
>and I should jump ship to one of the other services ?
>I seem to recall a financial report that indicated one of those services
>picked up the Kodak Sharing website,
>and also seemed to offer a variety of features like creating photo
>books/albums from the online gallery.

I've been using SmugMug for several years, but at the Basic level
because I do not have the Shopping Cart enabled. I'm not there to
sell images.

While some others in this forum may use SmugMug, I think your
questions would receive a wider audience, and better answers, if you'd
put them in one of the discussion forums at DigitalGrin www.dgrin.com

DigitalGrin is operated by SmugMug, and there are moderators for each
forum, but they don't ban discussions like this. They allow the
discussion to go full-course.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

me

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've used SmugMug for posting my vacation and school sporting events online.
>It of course costs a yearly fee.
>
>I'm wondering if the landscape has changed from when I joined SmugMug
>several years ago,
>and I should jump ship to one of the other services ?
>I seem to recall a financial report that indicated one of those services
>picked up the Kodak Sharing website,
>and also seemed to offer a variety of features like creating photo
>books/albums from the online gallery.

You don't really say what your needs are. Are you using a pro account
to sell prints? If not maybe consider your own web site hosted
somewhere? Hosting providers are now beginning to embrace cloud
services as well which could be included in your hosting cost.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Stealing photos is becoming a huge problem. places like flicker, smugmug
> etc people thinks there all free to download. You can still download
> image even with the transparent layer.

If you can see it, you can save it. No way round it.

You can however make it more difficult and tell people you
don't want that, that it's illegal and how to contact you to
get copies.

-Wolfgang