Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > The best, friendly and easy use Python Editor.

The best, friendly and easy use Python Editor.

Hazard Seventyfour

Hello,

I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make an own script ,

for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto complete/auto correct.

any recommend? Thanks ^_^

mikprog@gmail.com

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:43:31 AM UTC, Hazard Seventyfour wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make an own script ,
>

> for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto complete/auto correct.
>

> any recommend? Thanks ^_^

Hi,
an editor is pretty much a matter of personal preferences.
I personally like Eclipse as I use it for most of my projects (not only Python) so I use Eclipse + PyDev plug-in for Python.

mik

Chris Angelico

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Hazard Seventyfour
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make an own script ,
>
> for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto complete/auto correct.
>
> any recommend? Thanks ^_^

Here we go, it's holy war time again!

You'll get a HUGE lot of responses. Many use emacs or vim, and you'll
get a few recommendations for IDLE. After that, it's a huge field of
options. I personally use SciTE; it's a good editor, but I don't
particularly like the way the project is run (nothing strong, but I
didn't like the tone on its mailing list). Eclipse has its fans, too.

A Python IDE is not nearly as beneficial as, say, a Java IDE. A good
Python editor just needs to do the basics like indentation, syntax
highlighting, and such; I like IDLE's method info when I'm working
interactively, but it's not a big deal when I'm writing a program. In
fact, all you really need out of an IDE can probably be supplied by
just a good editor, maybe a makefile, and alt-tabbing to IDLE.
However, if you want an IDE, they do exist.

ChrisA

John Gordon

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Hazard Seventyfour <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hello,

> I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make
> an own script ,

> for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with
> nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto
> complete/auto correct.

Try PyScripter.

http://code.google.com/p/pyscripter/

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

Sharwan Joram

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:42:19 PM UTC+5:30, John Gordon wrote:
> In <(E-Mail Removed)> Hazard Seventyfour <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

> > Hello,

> > I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make

> > an own script ,

> > for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with

> > nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto

> > complete/auto correct.

> Try PyScripter.
>

> http://code.google.com/p/pyscripter/
>

> --
>
> John Gordon A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
>
> (E-Mail Removed) B is for Basil, assaulted by bears
>
> -- Edward Gorey, "The Gashlycrumb Tinies"

use vim.

~Sharwan Joram

John Gordon

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Sharwan Joram <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> use vim.

He said he wanted autocomplete. Does Vim have that?

(E-Mail Removed) B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

rusi

On Jan 24, 2:43*pm, Hazard Seventyfour <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make anown script ,
>
> for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto complete/auto correct.
>
> any recommend? Thanks ^_^

What editor you use does not matter. What matters is that you learn to
use the interpreter.

That is learn to use things like
- history
- last expression with _ (underscore)
- Using introspection to find out about odd stuff (ie use dir and
help)
- And after things kind-of work, copy pasting into your editor

Here's a test to check whether youve got the idea: Do you think that
to write a program you need to write a 'main?' If yes then no!

[I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a
recommendation]

Chris Angelico

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:54 AM, rusi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> - last expression with _ (underscore)

Small terminology quibble: That's not last expression, but last non-None result.

>>> 1+2

3
>>> _

3
>>> _,None

(3, None)
>>> _

(3, None)
>>> _[1]
>>> _

(3, None)

Otherwise, agree totally. Get to know the interactive interpreter, and
keep it handy.

ChrisA

Thomas Heller

Am 24.01.2013 16:54, schrieb rusi:
> [I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a
> recommendation]

It would be truly sadistic to force a long-time emacs user to any
other editor.

Thomas

Tim Chase

On 01/24/13 10:23, Thomas Heller wrote:
> Am 24.01.2013 16:54, schrieb rusi:
>> [I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a
>> recommendation]
>>

> It would be truly sadistic to force a long-time emacs user to any
> other editor.

I saw the recommendation for Vim elsewhere on the thread and comment
the same as this sub-thread: "I personally use vim. It would be
sadistic to make that into a recommendation" And likewise, it's
"truly sadistic to force a long-time vim user to any other editor."

Not that Vim isn't great for programming Python (which I do
daily)...it *is*! It's just not where I'd throw somebody who
doesn't already have an existing editor preference *and* doesn't
know Python.

-tkc