Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: handling return codes from CTYPES

Re: handling return codes from CTYPES

Steve Simmons

Mike,

Thanks for your response - I was puzzled by one part of it though...

On 21/01/2013 15:14, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> That's because you've just discarded the object you created

I (mis?)understood from the ctypes documentation that '>>> initResult =
c_short(0)' would result in the creation of a ctypes 'short' called
initResult and that this object would be mutable. On that basis, I
expected the following statement '>>> initResult = initScanLib( ... )'
would assign the result of the call to initResult.

So, I can understand that I am not using the correct approach but I
don't understand how I discarded the object I created. Can you clarify
please?

Steve