Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Semi stuck

Semi stuck

Whisky-dave

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:08:10 PM UTC, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-01-22 06:28:53 -0800, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> >> Here in the UK the word semi is mostly used to mean a property that is

> >> semi detached meaning that only one outside wall is shared with another

> >> property.

> >> Not that you wanted to know that

> > We use "semi" in a compound word like semi-finished, semi-truck, and

> > semi-final, and sometimes use just "semi" to indicate the complete

> > compound construction. I don't think Florida usage is any different

> > from usage in the rest of the country regarding "semi".

> > Semi-detached is not one of the uses, though. What you call a

> > semi-detached house would be a "double" or "duplex" here.

> ...and then there is "semiliterate".

semiconscious too, semicircle ... semicolon

must be loads now I start thinking about it

> --
>
> Regards,
>

> Savageduck

Martin Brown

On 22/01/2013 17:08, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:08:10 PM UTC, Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2013-01-22 06:28:53 -0800, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> We use "semi" in a compound word like semi-finished, semi-truck, and
>>> semi-final, and sometimes use just "semi" to indicate the complete
>>> compound construction. I don't think Florida usage is any different
>>> from usage in the rest of the country regarding "semi".

>>> Semi-detached is not one of the uses, though. What you call a

>>> semi-detached house would be a "double" or "duplex" here.

>> ...and then there is "semiliterate".

> semiconscious too, semicircle ... semicolon
>
> must be loads now I start thinking about it

In music where demi and semi are valid prefixes.

Not to mention seminar and Semillon

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Peter

On 1/21/2013 7:47 PM, nick c wrote:
> On 1/21/2013 1:45 PM, me wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
>>> web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
>>> night traffic jam.
>>>
>>> Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
>>> was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
>>> semi-stuck.

>> Seemed obvious to me.
>>

> Obvious? Perhaps. It depends upon how one puts the words together. Is it
> Skynyrd's semi or semi stuck that describes the situation.
>
> For my dough, that traffic jam would be more interesting to see than the
> inauguration. [<g>]

I went home by way of th Chesepeak Bay Bridge tunnel, just to avoid
seeing it.

--
PeterN

Peter

On 1/21/2013 7:55 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
> : web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
> : night traffic jam.
> :
> : Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
> : was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
> : semi-stuck.
>
> Get a grip, Tony! You live in the South; the use of the word "semi" as a noun
> should be as natural to you as grits and gravy. ;^)

Orlando is more North than South. Can't even get good grits or fried
pickles there.

--
PeterN

Peter

On 1/22/2013 11:08 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-01-22 06:28:53 -0800, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> Here in the UK the word semi is mostly used to mean a property that
>>> is semi detached meaning that only one outside wall is shared with
>>> another property.
>>> Not that you wanted to know that

>> We use "semi" in a compound word like semi-finished, semi-truck, and
>> semi-final, and sometimes use just "semi" to indicate the complete
>> compound construction. I don't think Florida usage is any different
>> from usage in the rest of the country regarding "semi".
>>
>> Semi-detached is not one of the uses, though. What you call a
>> semi-detached house would be a "double" or "duplex" here.
>>

> ...and then there is "semiliterate".

Is that anything like semi=pregnant?

--
PeterN

me

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:56:21 -0500, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 1/21/2013 7:47 PM, nick c wrote:
>> On 1/21/2013 1:45 PM, me wrote:

>>> Seemed obvious to me.
>>>

>> Obvious? Perhaps. It depends upon how one puts the words together. Is it
>> Skynyrd's semi or semi stuck that describes the situation.
>>
>> For my dough, that traffic jam would be more interesting to see than the
>> inauguration. [<g>]
>>

>I went home by way of th Chesepeak Bay Bridge tunnel, just to avoid
>seeing it.

Not sure of your end points, but I live in Yorktown, VA and that is my
preferred route to points north east, such as LI. Take Rt 13 to MD
state line at which point take Rt 113 to Dover and hop on the Del 1
toll road. Much preferred to any inland route.

Tony Cooper

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:59:55 -0500, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 1/21/2013 7:55 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>> : I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
>> : web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
>> : night traffic jam.
>> :
>> : Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
>> : was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
>> : semi-stuck.
>>
>> Get a grip, Tony! You live in the South; the use of the word "semi" as a noun
>> should be as natural to you as grits and gravy. ;^)

>Orlando is more North than South. Can't even get good grits or fried
>pickles there.

Dunno about that, Peter. I agree that Orlando is more North than
South, and 4Rivers Smokehouse (barbecue) is the only place in town
that routinely has fried pickles as a side. But, the grits here are
as good here as grits get.

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

PeterN

On 1/22/2013 5:42 PM, me wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:56:21 -0500, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>> Obvious? Perhaps. It depends upon how one puts the words together. Is it
>>> Skynyrd's semi or semi stuck that describes the situation.
>>>
>>> For my dough, that traffic jam would be more interesting to see than the
>>> inauguration. [<g>]
>>>

>> I went home by way of th Chesepeak Bay Bridge tunnel, just to avoid
>> seeing it.

> Not sure of your end points, but I live in Yorktown, VA and that is my
> preferred route to points north east, such as LI. Take Rt 13 to MD
> state line at which point take Rt 113 to Dover and hop on the Del 1
> toll road. Much preferred to any inland route.

I was driving to LI, from Pompano Beach.
When going to Virginia Beach we have always used the Bay-Bridge. We
prefer not to go up Rt13, but use the slow way, through the Eastern
Shore towns. It's a longer drive, but nicer scenery. When in a hyurry,
we use 13.
Had a really nice dinner at the Lynnhaven Fish House. They have a great
she crab soup. There was a pleasant surprise, it was restaurant week,
and the prices were about 40%less than normal.
I just wish we had more time. The area around Waverly is quite scenic
and highly photogenic. there are rustic old farmhouses, and the wetlands
have still water with eerie reflections, at sunset.

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 1/22/2013 5:49 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:59:55 -0500, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/21/2013 7:55 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
>>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:
>>> : I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
>>> : web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
>>> : night traffic jam.
>>> :
>>> : Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
>>> : was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
>>> : semi-stuck.
>>>
>>> Get a grip, Tony! You live in the South; the use of the word "semi" as a noun
>>> should be as natural to you as grits and gravy. ;^)

>> Orlando is more North than South. Can't even get good grits or fried
>> pickles there.

> Dunno about that, Peter. I agree that Orlando is more North than
> South, and 4Rivers Smokehouse (barbecue) is the only place in town
> that routinely has fried pickles as a side. But, the grits here are
> as good here as grits get.

Of course you have been to more grits joints, but I can only relate my
own experiences. I am happy to be wrong, and I hope you can get grits as
good as in Savannah or Charleston.
It is hard to beat the fried pickles at Uncle Bubba's, though I hope you
can if you enjoy eating them.

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 1/22/2013 5:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-01-22 13:56:21 -0800, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> Obvious? Perhaps. It depends upon how one puts the words together. Is it
>>> Skynyrd's semi or semi stuck that describes the situation.
>>>
>>> For my dough, that traffic jam would be more interesting to see than the
>>> inauguration. [<g>]
>>>

>> I went home by way of th Chesepeak Bay Bridge tunnel, just to avoid
>> seeing it.

> The last time I took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, which was back in
> 1985, we stopped at one of the mid-channel tunnel island entrances, and
> had one of the best bay scallop meals I have experienced. I have never
> quite been able to replicate it.
>
> That trip also took us over the Cape May-Lewes ferry, not an unpleasant
> boat ride.

The ferry is a nice ride, but not when the air temperature inland, is 37.

--
PeterN