Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: OT: Gn Control Poll

Re: OT: Gn Control Poll

Tony Cooper

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 11:51:12 -0500, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 21:40:33 -0700, "Dudley Hanks"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>http://www.dudley-hanks.com/index.html

>Against gun control. I'll give up mine when they can prove that the
>guy who may invade my home has given up his.

There's a report of a home invasion about once a week in my local
newspaper. Sometime even when the homeowner was armed and chased off
the would-be home invaders.

The thing is, though, that these articles about home invasions
invariably mention that the home being invaded was the home of a drug
dealer. It's never the home of some white, middle-class, employed
person. Yet, it's the white, middle-class, employed people who are
always talking about keeping their guns to fend off home invaders.

We did have a home invasion recently that wasn't at the home of a
suspected drug dealer. The drug dealer lived next door and the
invaders screwed-up.

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

Peter

On 1/20/2013 12:32 AM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
> "Tony Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 11:51:12 -0500, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Against gun control. I'll give up mine when they can prove that the
>>> guy who may invade my home has given up his.

>> There's a report of a home invasion about once a week in my local
>> newspaper. Sometime even when the homeowner was armed and chased off
>> the would-be home invaders.
>>
>> The thing is, though, that these articles about home invasions
>> invariably mention that the home being invaded was the home of a drug
>> dealer. It's never the home of some white, middle-class, employed
>> person. Yet, it's the white, middle-class, employed people who are
>> always talking about keeping their guns to fend off home invaders.
>>
>> We did have a home invasion recently that wasn't at the home of a
>> suspected drug dealer. The drug dealer lived next door and the
>> invaders screwed-up.
>>

> Just wondering if anybody out there is interested in being interviewed?
>
> I'm thinking about doing a podcast, and could call / record the interview.
>
> I'm not interested in making either side look / sound like fanatics, just
> hoping for intelligent, thoughtful dialog about the problem / possible
> solutions.
>
> If interested, email me: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>
> Also looking for sites that summarize the debate. If you have any faves,
> let me know.

From what I have read, most NRA members and other gun owners favor some
level of arms control. The salary of NRA leadership are paid by arms
manufacturers. It is in their interest to spread fear and false
information, to help line pockets.
I do not own a gun. But, am not against some reasonable regulation of
those who do. I fail to see why a high capacity magazine is needed. The
only purpose for civilians use of armor piercing ammo is to kill cops.
I wonder if any honest studies have been done to compare the number of
deaths from accidental civilian misuse of defensive weapons with th
number of lives saved.
Last I heard in NYC, which has some pretty strict gun control laws, the
crime rate is lower than in places with looser gun laws.

--
PeterN